Cummins wants to emulate Johnson's Ashes 2013-14 form

rkt.india

Pat Cummins, the Australian speedster, admits he is hoping to emulate Mitchell Johnson's memorable evisceration of England four years ago during the upcoming Ashes.

A fearsome Johnson was the catalyst of Australia's 5-0 triumph over a shell-shocked England in 2013-14 with 37 wickets. With Johnson's fury still fresh in the memory, Australia come into the Ashes as overwhelming favourites mainly on the back of their pace strength coupled with question marks over England's batting.

Mitchell Starc, Australia's spearhead, has played down expectations that he will replicate Johnson's deeds but, conversely, Cummins said he wanted to be the team's enforcer during the Ashes. "We saw what Mitchell Johnson did last Ashes series here - it would be a role I would love to play," he told reporters in Brisbane on Tuesday (November 14). "As a fast bowler, it's (about) getting in their face and being relentless in everything we do.

"I just can't wait to get out there," he added.

After an injury-ravaged start to his career, Cummins is finally set to play his first Test on home soil six years since his spectacular debut in South Africa. The 24-year-old has made a successful comeback to Test cricket after playing in India and Bangladesh this year.

Cummins said it was a dream come true to play at home. "As a kid growing up, you watch a lot of Test cricket on TV," he said. "To be in that position where I might play in one, I'm pumped. It certainly felt a long way away for a while.

"I was pretty young when I first started playing," he added. "It all happened really quickly and didn't give me a chance to stand back and realise what I was actually doing."

Having missed so much cricket, Cummins said it was extra special every time he stepped onto the field and the NSW quick declared himself fit and firing. "Having those five or six years (on sidelines)... I think it will mean a bit more when I go out there," he said. "Now I'm at the stage where I don't have to worry about it (injuries)."

Cummins and fellow Test quicks Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Jackson Bird are being rested from the current Sheffield Shield round to ensure they are ready for the first Test starting on November 23.

Australia's enviable pace depth was eroded recently after major injury setbacks to James Pattinson and Nathan Coulter-Nile. It means more burden will be placed on Cummins, who admitted to being unsure whether he could get through an arduous Ashes series unscathed.

"I feel like I'm in the best position I can be, but we'll have to wait and see - there's no guarantees," he said.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/98355/australia-cricket-team-pacer-pat-cummins-wants-to-emulate-mitchell-johnsons-ashes-2013-14-form