Sexy Durga becomes S Durga, and then it gets dropped from IFFI 2017. But what is it all about?

chapetmarunga

http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/entertainment-others/s-durga-sexy-durga-film-iffi-2017-controversy-watch-trailer-video-4938286/

The film’s trailer begins with an eloping couple trying to get a transport to reach the railway station in the middle of the night. Though they manage to get a lift, it turns out that those helping them are actually small-time gangsters who are transporting arms. The film unfolds from the eyes of Durga who witnesses a cross section of society and inter-cutting her journey is a Kerala village which is celebrating the festival of Garudan Thookkam, where devotees of Goddess Kali pierce themselves with iron hooks to get rid of problems.

Initially called Sexy Durga, the film’s name was changed to S Durga by the CBFC while giving clearance with a U/A certificate. The film also received 21 audio mutes but no scene-cuts. Director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan had earlier told indianexpress.com, “The film is established and known internationally as Sexy Durga. In India, people are free to interpret S Durga in whichever way they like. The agitation against it is nonsensical and I’ve clarified several times that my film has nothing to do with religion. There is nothing against Durga. Anyway the film is very established, even if you make it S Durga, A Durga, B Durga, the film will remain Sexy Durga.”

S Durga bagged the prestigious Hivos Tiger Award at the International Film Festival Rotterdam in February this year.

Attention whores. Could have simply named the movie Durga, the 'Sexy' part is just for the eyeballs. I dare these mofos to name a movie Sexy Jesus or Sexy Mohammad....... the producers of this movie are Christians and we know how they got Da Vinci Code banned in Kerala at the time of release. Freaking hypocrites..you can't expect only Hindus to remain tolerant in the Indian society. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Attention whores. Could have simply named the movie Durga, the 'Sexy' part is just for the eyeballs. I dare these mofos to name a movie Sexy Jesus or Sexy Mohammad....... the producers of this movie are Christians and we know how they got Da Vinci Code banned in Kerala at the time of release. Freaking hypocrites..you can't expect only Hindus to remain tolerant in the Indian society. 

but why ban it after name change ?

6 minutes ago, chapetmarunga said:

but why ban it after name change ?

May be to teach the b@stards a lesson. We can't ban their releases in foreign countries, the name was 'Sexy Durga' in its international release. I don't care what the movie is about, stunts like this or JNU posters about Durga need to be reprimanded ruthlessly. Or you allow Da Vinci Code and Innocence of Muslims....can't have it both ways !!!!

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

May be to teach the b@stards a lesson. We can't ban their releases in foreign countries, the name was 'Sexy Durga' in its international release. I don't care what the movie is about, stunts like this or JNU posters about Durga need to be reprimanded ruthlessly. Or you allow Da Vinci Code and Innocence of Muslims....can't have it both ways !!!!

Show all films criticizing / mocking religions. Let triggered bunch collapse of brain aneurysm everywhere.

Edited by chapetmarunga

2 minutes ago, chapetmarunga said:

Show all films criticizing / mocking religions. Let triggered bunch collapse of brain aneurysm everywhere.

I am all for it, show ALL films criticizing/mocking religions and not just those mocking dharmic religions !!!! You think it will ever happen? Forget India do you think a movie mocking Mohammad/Islam will be allowed to release in Norway, Germany, NZ ?

12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am all for it, show ALL films criticizing/mocking religions and not just those mocking dharmic religions !!!! You think it will ever happen? Forget India do you think a movie mocking Mohammad/Islam will be allowed to release in Norway, Germany, NZ ?

but courts will more likely overturn the ban & then more people are going to want to see it anyways. They didnt even come up with a practical solution.

The court should ask for a change of name since it has no relevance to the movie and it is only for getting eyeballs for publicity.

It is a clear case of wanting to hurt religious sentiments  .

The name should be changed not just in India but everywhere and the guy should be asked to apologize for deliberately hurtling sentiments ....or else it should be banned.

I am a fairly liberal person and would not have a problem calling Gods and  Godesses sexy in context to the situation...like Shiv is a very sexy looking God....no problem with that. But when it is used just to hurt sentiments and cause controversy , it gets my blood boiling .

Edited by beetle

I'm all for reform in every religion and showing them mirror. Be it Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism or Sikhism.

But why does Hindus have to bear the brunt of it everytime and so called modern liberals like Shobha De calling names to Indian Gods, festivals?

Why did noone said anything when the Christians were protesting against Tom Hanks' movie "Da Vinci Code". Many countries banned it from releasing in 2006? Subsequently banned in many states of India,including Punjab.God help me, how many Christians are there in Punjab? :facepalm:

Were the guys like Prannoy Roy, Shikhar Gupta, Barkha uninterested in movies back then?

In 1976, "The Message" movie based on Prophet Muhammad was made very sensibly without even showing him on screen, keeping in mind the sensitivities of Muslims all over. But it sparked a hostage crisis in DC in 1977 by terrorist organization and murder of a few people.

But, why do these aforementioned guys forget all these incidents?

I just want objectivity and reciprocity from their side, but these South Mumbai, Lutyen inhabiting fools don't understand this simple point 

Why don't they show about what's going on in a Madarssa, life of Muslim women,  and the great Mullah leadership?

Or a film on a Christian missionary and the espcapedes of Christianity groups in poor states like Jharkhand,Chhattisgarh, Odisha?

When a machete wielding Bajrang Dal extremist in India titillates the liberals of our country to compare him to a suicide bomber belonging to ISIS/Al Qaeda having an MNC sort hierarchy, then convince yourself that you are having debate with a buffoon.

Edited by Turning_track

^ I think, a little bit of controversy is probably what producers want for free publicity, but in case of Padmavati it has gone to a level where most of my friends who regularly visit cinema halls are thinking of giving this one a pass.

Atleast BBC is State sponsored media but Guradian/Independent are biggest Muslim apeasing media. One is for Sunni other is for Shia. But when reporting any third part, They are pro Islam. Dont know why.

For starters just visit

https://www.webpagefx.com/data/the-6-companies-that-own-almost-all-media/

22 minutes ago, mishra said:

^ I think, a little bit of controversy is probably what producers want for free publicity, but in case of Padmavati it has gone to a level where most of my friends who regularly visit cinema halls are thinking of giving this one a pass.

Atleast BBC is State sponsored media but Guradian/Independent are biggest Muslim apeasing media. One is for Sunni other is for Shia. But when reporting any third part, They are pro Islam. Dont know why.

For starters just visit

https://www.webpagefx.com/data/the-6-companies-that-own-almost-all-media/

I think its telling how they didnt interview any concerned parties especially why people are protesting at all & just put up the most disgustinly simplistic titles of all time. Unbiased journalism is dead. 

43 minutes ago, chapetmarunga said:

I think its telling how they didnt interview any concerned parties especially why people are protesting at all & just put up the most disgustinly simplistic titles of all time. Unbiased journalism is dead. 

Exactly. Article clearly says, Pdmavati doesnt even existed and Indian Hindus are such religious fanatics that they cant even tolerate love affair on screen. For a neutral, The garbage doesnt even mentions that this is about historical figures and Pdamavati committed Jauhar on a massive pyre along with many other Rajput women to save her and their honour.

Its not Hindu or Muslim thing. Just hear the story of Indian partition on History channel youtube link. There is a Sardarji who completely breaksdown while describing how his uncle called all his sisters and other family women. Asked them to sit. And then tries to cut their head. How he fails in first attempt and his sword gets stuck in  the womens "dupatta". And then with a huge heave cuts head after head of his sister and other women. Anyone, even a Muslim, a Pakistani, if he hears that old Sardarji, I will doubt if he will not have sympathy or his heart wont cry.

It is hsitory. Dont change it. Describe the pain and suffering of it. Factually!

Edited by mishra

@mishra Padmavati indeed isn't history. The character is based on a Mughal era epic poem and and only after that copied/adapted/cited by Hindus who have now started worshiping her as a Goddess. I did a lot of reading about medieval history a year back and and have thus come to this conclusion, no mention of it in either our sources or Islamic sources who otherwise glorify such stuff and exaggerate things to make themsleves look 10X more powerful than they actually were. 

The saga of Rani Padmini gained traction only during our freedom struggle when she was incorrectly presented as a historical figure, mainly to mobilize Indian youth against invaders (this time the Brits). Locals from Chittor use this story for tourist collection, nothing more nothing less. It boggles my mind how this controversy even erupted in the 1st place. Kamla Devi and Devala Devi on the other hand were real characters and a movie on them could perhaps justify more outrage unless you count in the fact that Kamala Devi herself was a shrewd manipulator who requested Khilji to abduct her own daughter and get her married to Khizr Khan, Alauddin's eldest son. I mean if those 2 Devis had no problem getting passed around like parcels amongst various foreign invaders, why on Earth should we care about such beings?