Preparing a “specific pitch” to prepare for overseas series is a stupid idea!!!

maniac

Let me clear a few things before I get to the topic ,

As a viewer I like pitches like  green tracks or minefields or dustbowls because it makes for compelling viewing especially the tedious and at times boring Test format. 

Also these pitches from a batting perspective provide the kind of  innings that will be remembered for the ages that every cricket fan regardless of nationality will quote and enjoy for years to come.

Conditions which are result of intangible factors like weather or altitude etc  playing a part is what sets cricket apart from so many other sports.

At the same time a more controversial debate of “doctoring” pitches to provide home advantage is totally fine (my views) as well.

That is what makes an away victory for a visiting team that much more sweeter. It is almost like winning a video game at expert level(nerd alert!!!) 

However, a couple of things ....usually a total minefield be it green or dusty, usually becomes a lottery like we saw with the  Australia series earlier this year when they won the first test. This is not making excuses for India’s failure but that’s what you get with such pitches.

Historically even subcontinent teams have benefited by such extreme pitches if you recollect their famous away victories.

Now coming to the idea of preparing a total green mamba with the pretense that it is a preparation for an overseas series is totally stupid.  

Firstly, green tracks or minefields are what they are a total lottery.

However, a total domination or well competed series would have done a huge favor for the pshyce of the Indian team and obviously a series loss will have have an equally opposite demoralizing effect. Cricket along with skill  is all about mental toughness and confidence for the most part.

Now coming to the current game that is in progress ,if India win then as a fan YAY but if Srilanka pull this one off then Kudos to them.

Again if the current pitch we are witnessing Is supposed to be a result of weather and other factors then obviously it is what it’s.

However the excuse that this pitch was put together as a practice for South African tour would  be one of the most stupidest things ever done in the history of world cricket.

Dont think they have done it intentionally. This is how Kolkata pitch has been in last 2 years. They imported soil make a fast bowling friendly pitch. Also, due to incessant rain before the match day, curator did not get the time to trim the grass from the surface. Dont think curator wanted to toe seam so much.  He wanted a hard and bouncy surface but sudden rain spoiled all his efforts. 

Edited by rkt.india

I agree with your post. As they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

If the pitch has been prepared for India's upcoming tour of SA, then I don't think its a good idea.

Already there has been rain since the last few days & with covers on, the pacers will definitely make use of the moisture in the pitch. The grass & the overcast conditions is definitely helping them.

Never seen such a green track in Kolkata for an international game.

13 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

I agree with your post. As they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

If the pitch has been prepared for India's upcoming tour of SA, then I don't think its a good idea.

Already there has been rain since the last few days & with covers on, the pacers will definitely make use of the moisture in the pitch. The grass & the overcast conditions is definitely helping them.

Never seen such a green track in Kolkata for an international game.

you did not watch India vs NZ test last year? Eden pitch has been relaid and is not like the old turning track.

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

you did not watch India vs NZ test last year? Eden pitch has been relaid and is not like the old turning track.

Did not follow the test series against NZ last year. Also I did not know that the surface was relaid. Checked the scores of that match, it was a low scoring match.

1.   The extreme seamer-friendly conditions we are seeing are partially due to the non-seasonal and unexpected rains.  It is aiding swing bowling in addition to the seam movement we have seen at Eden in the last 2 years. This start-stop-start play due to rain also made it challenging. It was not just the pitch.
  2.  This team has established itself as the undisputed No.1 test side while playing in Asia or the WI. We have defeated all the test team we play against in the last 30 months .... We have nothing left to prove in this series .... our total focus now should be to prepare for the SA and England tours , which will define us as a top test team in history

Prepare reasonably seaming tracks for all 3 tests and get us ready for the away tours. We defeated NZ at Kolkata 2016 and Australia at Dharamsala 2017 , on green seaming pitches .... we need not be afraid but should look forward to the practice it offers.

Edited by express bowling
23 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I don’t give a damn. I like this pitch. Bring on Shami, Umesh and Bhuvi on this pitch. I like a fifer from either of them over a century from any of our middle order bat.

Oh paaji read the OP again...I said I love these kind of pitches too as a viewer but I am saying is if the idea behind this pitch is to prepare us for South Africa then it is a stupid idea.

Tell me this If Kohli or Dhawan your “ dilli yaarana gang” have a string of low scores on such pitches what confidence they will have going in to South Africa even if they get relatively decent pitches.

its not about what we enjoy as a viewer because obviously this is extremely entertaining.

Edited by maniac
22 minutes ago, express bowling said:
  1.   The extreme seamer-friendly conditions we are seeing are partially due to the non-seasonal and unexpected rains.  It is aiding swing bowling in addition to the seam movement we have seen at Eden in the last 2 years. This start-stop-start play due to rain also made it challenging. It was not just the pitch.
  2.  This team has established itself as the undisputed No.1 test side while playing in Asia or the WI. We have defeated all the test team we play against in the last 30 months .... We have nothing left to prove in this series .... our total focus now should be to prepare for the SA and England tours , which will define us as a top test team in history

Prepare reasonably seaming tracks for all 3 tests and get us ready for the away tours. We defeated NZ at Kolkata 2016 and Australia at Dharamsala 2017 , on green seaming pitches .... we need not be afraid but should look forward to the practice it offers.

A cricketer at a basic technique level is trained to play on every track. Sure adapting due to constant practice helps but a string of low scores on lottery pitches is way worse than the over confidence built on bullying on flat pitches 

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Oh paaji read the OP again...I said I love these kind of pitches too as a viewer but I am saying if the idea behind this pitch is to prepare us for South Africa then it is a stupid idea.

Tell me this If Kohli or Dhawan your “ dilli yaarana gang” have a string of low scores on such pitches what confidence they will have going in to South Africa even if they get relatively decent pitches.

its not about what we enjoy as a viewer because obviously this is extremely entertaining.

Nothing happens, they aren’t you or me who do not play at international level. Their confidence won’t go down like that after one series.

Also, stop contradicting yourself. If you like this pitch, then you like it. Al this confidence going down and all is all bs. Right now we need more confidence to bat on this pitch than get that fake confidence of scoring on flat track against a test teams which is ranked way below us. That confidence won’t take us anywhere or prepare us for RSA tour. We are no.1 side for god sake, fans should start behaving like that.

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

Nothing happens, they aren’t you or me who do not play at international level. Their confidence won’t go down like that after one series.

Also, stop contradicting yourself. If you like this pitch, then you like it. Al this confidence going down and all is all bs. Right now we need more confidence to bat on this pitch than get that fake confidence of scoring on flat track against a test teams which is ranked way below us. That confidence won’t take us anywhere or prepare us for RSA tour. We are no.1 side for god sake, fans should start behaving like that.

We should dominate teams and absolutely crush them especially minnow sides like this ...not give them a lottery situation where they have equal

footing. International cricket is about winning not practice.

Contradicting myself??? I am not sure how I could have been more clear in my OP :facepalm:

1 minute ago, maniac said:

We should dominate teams and absolutely crush them especially minnow sides like this ...not give them a lottery situation where they have equal

footing. International cricket is about winning not practice.

Contradicting myself??? I am not sure how I could have been more clear in my OP :facepalm:

Lol No.1 test team we are, playing against extremely lower ranked test team who lost to us 3-0 at their home. We should do as many changes as we want to the pitch to make it more competitive than worry about opposition make use of the pitch to their advantage. Thats caled “darpok” attitude. Fans need to behave like number 1 side. 

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

A cricketer at a basic technique level is trained to play on every track. Sure adapting due to constant practice helps but a string of low scores on lottery pitches is way worse than the over confidence built on bullying on flat pitches 

Need not be lottery pitches or minefields  .... but sporting pitches with some bounce and some seam movement.

A fighting 70 by  a batter on such a pitch might give him more confidence than 150 on a patta.

I think we need to have variations in conditions, just seeing them play on a spinning track is just plain boring. If we have a 4 Test match series, 2 pitches should assist spinners and the other two seamers, so that we create balance between 2 sets of bowlers and the matches won't be one dimensional.