Ashwin's batting is going downhill

Almost everyone says that Ashwin is better batsman than Jadeja, but these days he is getting out very easily. 

After scoring 2 hundreds in WI, he has played 17 matches in Asia and averages 27 with bat with 5 50s in 22 innings

On the other hand Jadeja has scored 7 50s and averages 42 with bat. He has played many crucial knocks too. 

That's true unfortunately. He had a superb series vs. England where he got 300+ runs and looked like a proper all-rounder but since then has been extremely poor. In SA, I'd rather play with 6 pure batsmen + 3 Pacers and Kuldeep as the spinner. The only problem? The 6th batsman is likely to be Rohit. :((

He never was a full time batsman.

But the stats are a bit misleading.

You have to breakdown numbers series by series to see trends.

After WI series, he played some seriously clutch knocks in England tests. One clutch knock per test except Mumbai.

It's against Aus where he couldn't get bat on ball which destroyed his numbers. Against Bangladesh and SL, he was scoring every innings he played.

In county, he got a start in every innings and rescued his side in the last game with an 82 (average of 42 scoring at a brisk pace).

Ranji, failed in all 3 innings and this test, irresponsible batting.

Final average may be 27 but actual output is way better than the numbers. Jaddu has played some very important innings recently but the difference between him and Jadeja is that once set, Jadeja capitalizes whereas Ashwin doesn't.

Edited by sensible-indian

We started expecting a lot from Ashwin as a batsman since he has bailed us out a lot of times at this lower position slot. But if we really look at it, guys like Kohli might have more failures than Ashwin recently for the regular batsman they are. Its just Ashwin failures look bigger in comparison to other players in many eyes because his runs in the past have been very important that even few failures now are making it look that his batting has declined.

He might have declined as a batsman, that only time will tell but too early to judge at this time, He has to fail as a batsman longer than he has to be determined that he has really declined. So far so good. 

45 minutes ago, Khota said:

His batting was a bonus. I am concerned about his bowling. Both him and Jadeja better pick up their game.

Biggest problem with Ash's bowling is that he takes so many overs to really get into his groove and start taking wickets - even at home.  We are not going to have the luxury of letting Ashwin bowl 15 wicket-less overs in SA and hope that he comes good at some point.   If there is a case where we need to play just one spinner - whether that's to bring in a 6th bat, or a 4th pacer / Allrounder - I'm starting to waver on Ashwin ahead of Jaddu as a default.   Jadeja is arguably better at a holding role than Ashwin, on pitches that will offer pretty much zero grip, and that too with the barely-there seam of the kookaburra. 

Kuldeep is a long shot in the mix as well, but I think after burning his fingers with the Karn Sharma experiment, and given VK's old-school mentality of keeping faith in his "senior" players, its an extremely long shot at this point for Kuldeep to play as the solo spinner in a SA tour test match.  Unless he rips apart the SA batsmen in the tour game or something.  

7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

But Jaddu is a hot competitor if you leave batting out of the equation. 

This is the point , Ashwin’s prime role is bowling and same is for Jadeja. We have to make sure that we are picking them keeping in mind that they will bowl and help support the pacers in the game to get 20 wickets more than being enticed by how well they also batted in the warm up game leading to the first test.

Whoever bowls better should play. I know most people want Ashwin since he can also bat and that will happen most likely but I feel Jadeja will be more handy player in the team as he will take more wickets and support the fast bowlers in getting 20 wickets

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Yeah, I guess that's the default.  But Jaddu is a hot competitor if you leave batting out of the equation. 

Ashwin has more weapons to dismiss a batsmen. Kohli should have bowled both spinners more in first innings.Jaddu brings a world class fielder as a bonus to the table.

Ashwin knows he has to perform well in order to keep his place.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Ashwin has more weapons to dismiss a batsmen. Kohli should have bowled both spinners more in first innings.Jaddu brings a world class fielder as a bonus to the table.

Ashwin knows he has to perform well in order to keep his place.

Ashwin has more weapons but he is too short usually and that can work in India but in South Africa Amla and De Villers and co will keep cutting and driving him or play play him through the covers.

Jadeja brings that angle which a leftie can bring and he bowls fuller at times which could give likes of Amla, De Villers hard time. 

5 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Ashwin has more weapons but he is too short usually and that can work in India but in South Africa Amla and De Villers and co will keep cutting and driving him or play play him through the covers.

Jadeja brings that angle which a leftie can bring and he bowls fuller at times which could give likes of Amla, De Villers hard time. 

They will keep sweeping Jadeja, while I agree Ashwin takes time to get into rhythm . I don't think guy like Ashwin should be just chucked out. He is that good and he has earned the right to be lead spinner. There are lot of lefties in SA line up and that is big plus in favor of Ashwin.

Edited by putrevus
4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't think guy like Ashwin should be just chucked out. He is that good and he has earned the right to be lead spinner

Not saying to get rid of him, he is a top spinner in the world, just feel sometimes we must make these considerations like playing someone else instead of him.

Just now, Cricketics said:

Not saying to get rid of him, he is a top spinner in the world, just feel sometimes we must make these considerations like playing someone else instead of him.

I am not saying you did , Ashwin still is the lead spinner of this team and he has mind boggling record and that needs to be given respect. Ashwin has regressed a little bit after his sports hernia , he has not looked same since Chennai test against England. It take a lot of time for him to get into rhythm and hopefully he will get that during next two tests.

I am still not sold on Pandya, if it were upto me,  I would play both Ashwin and Jadeja there for first test unless it is a green track.

17 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I am still not sold on Pandya, if it were upto me,  I would play both Ashwin and Jadeja there for first test unless it is a green track.

I am not sold on Pandya either and if the balance he is trying to bring to the team doesn’t work in the first test then I will play two spinners in the 2nd. I might then try to even bring Kuldeep as one of the two spinners in centurion whichbis the 2nd test location. 

Centurion is a place where spinners like Swann have gotten a fifer. We will have to see how Pandya does in the first test. If he fails its fine as many players struggle in  South Africa but we must make the change in the 2nd test.