I prefer not to count my centuries, says Tendulkar

DesiChap

Interviews I prefer not to count my centuries, says Tendulkar PTI ADELAIDE, January 24: "I prefer not to count them," Sachin Tendulkar said on Thursday after hitting his 80th international century which he described as a "special one". After smashing an unbeaten 124 against Australia on the first day of the fourth and final Test, Tendulkar said that the innings was a "special one". He had never scored a hundred at Adelaide before. Reminded about narrowly missing centuries last year, the master batsman said "it's not like easing the pain (of last year). When I am getting it (centuries), I prefer not to count them. Then it's just not about scoring centuries. There's a lot more to cricket than just this. I want to focus on the task at hand and if I end up scoring a hundred, fantastic," he said. The Adelaide crowd gave Tendulkar a standing ovation when he came out to bat and at the end of the day and Australian leg-spinner Brad Hogg, whom he punished severely during the day's play, made no secret of his admiration for the batting genius. "It's just fantastic to be in the same park as against someone of his calibre. He deserves standing ovation when he comes out. He's a fantastic player to watch," Hogg said. "It's a great privilege to be part of (welcome that Tendulkar gets). He is one of the greatest the world has ever seen," he added. The Adelaide Oval has not been a happy hunting ground for Tendulkar and the batsman said he was relieved that he finally came up with a big knock. "It hasn't been a great ground for me. I scored a 65 here in 1999-2000 series and since then it hasn't been a good venue for me. I was determined to make this count," he said. Tendulkar has now scored a century in all Test venues he has played in Australia except Brisbane, with Sydney (3) and Perth (2) being his favourites. Tendulkar rated this innings high on two counts - he gauged it early that he was in good nick and that he shifted gears according to the ebb and flow of the game. "When I drove Brett Lee down the ground I hit it exactly the way I wanted to do it. Then, when I hit a couple of drives off Mitchell Johnson at the other end. This innings was a special one because I could play it on the merit of the ball. When I needed to be defensive I could do out and when I wanted to hit, I could do it as well," he said. It was one such aggressive moment when Tendulkar picked 10 runs off successive balls to reach the coveted figure and he explained the reason for such aggressive posturing. "The wind was behind me, I used it to clear the field. I knew even if I didn't time the ball well, it would still clear the rope. I prefer to play the ball on merit and the next one was there to be hit so I went for it," Tendulkar said. Tendulkar looked ahead at India's remaining innings in the first knock, stating it was important to be vigilant against the second new ball. "The second new ball is important. It would be a key to see off the first spell of all three fast bowlers. I thought Lee bowled a fantastic spell (with the old ball). He's been their top bowler throughout the series, he's not given us any breathing space at all," he said. "In the first innings a big total would be a key. This wicket will surely help spinners, there is already bounce for them. It surely would have cracks getting wider as the match progresses," Tendulkar added. Tendulkar advised Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who grafted six runs from 54 balls, not to curb his strokes and play his natural game on Friday. "He is a gifted cricketer and he should play his natural game," was Tendulkar's advice to the vice-captain. Tendulkar also thanked the Adelaide crowd for their reception which he said made the century special. "The reception was absolutely fantastic. I am overwhelmed by the gesture of the spectators and I want to thank them. Their support makes the century special. It has been a fun this series Down Under. It has been very good so far. I feel good to be among runs," he said. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/I_prefer_not_to_count_my_centuries/articleshow/2728672.cms

Thats an open lie. Sachin is one THE most statistically minded person. Only, he pretends in public as though he doesnt really care. You could see him in his interviews saying things like " Ya, I had wanted to score a 100 here since it was Bradman's hometown blah blah blah" and immediately realizing he had spilt the beans before hastily adding " Of course, the 100 wasnt on my mind, team comes first" What are the chances Sachin will try to stay not-out tomorrow ? A lot, one would think.

Guest HariSampath
Thats an open lie. Sachin is one THE most statistically minded person. Only, he pretends in public as though he doesnt really care. You could see him in his interviews saying things like " Ya, I had wanted to score a 100 here since it was Bradman's hometown blah blah blah" and immediately realizing he had spilt the beans before hastily adding " Of course, the 100 wasnt on my mind, team comes first" What are the chances Sachin will try to stay not-out tomorrow ? A lot, one would think.
NO Sriram, I disagree, Sachin just plans an inngs b4 playing an thr stats perspective is LATER, but considering his career it is inevitable
NO Sriram' date=' I disagree, Sachin just plans an inngs b4 playing an thr stats perspective is LATER, but considering his career it is inevitable[/quote'] Hari, I have seen and observed this guy and his words for over a decade now. He IS very statistics minded, coz he knows, ultimately, the numbers one leaves behind goes a long way in deciding his legacy How else can you explain a big majority of his recent 100s being unbeaten ones ? He doesnt get out at all, trying to accelerate.
Guest HariSampath

^...And how can u blame him for wantin g to score a fitting 100 on the Don's homeground in his last test there ? afterall, Sir Donald was his greatest admirer, and Sachin too, had said of all the greatest compliments he had ever received in his career, the greatest ever was Sir Donald comparing Sachin with himself, and Sachin had said openly that the gretest day of his career was when Sir Donald summoned him to meet him and compliment him as the best he has seen !!!

^...And how can u blame him for wantin g to score a fitting 100 on the Don's homeground in his last test there ? afterall' date=' Sir Donald was his greatest admirer, and Sachin too, had said of all the greatest compliments he had ever received in his career, the greatest ever was Sir Donald comparing Sachin with himself, and Sachin had said openly that the gretest day of his career was when Sir Donald summoned him to meet him and compliment him as the best he has seen !!![/quote'] I actually did NOT blame him for wanting to score a 100 at the Don's homeground. In fact, I really dont have a problem with him being statistics minded at all , I never said it is wrong. What I did say though, is that he never openly admits it in public, that is all.
Open lie?? This is what Sachin said as per this article "When I am getting it (centuries), I prefer not to count them." Now how is that tantamount to lying?
Hari' date=' I have seen and observed this guy and his words for over a decade now.[b'] He IS very statistics minded, coz he knows, ultimately, the numbers one leaves behind goes a long way in deciding his legacy How else can you explain a big majority of his recent 100s being unbeaten ones ? He doesnt get out at all, trying to accelerate.
Great century by SRT. But the above is also a true statement.
Open lie?? This is what Sachin said as per this article "When I am getting it (centuries), I prefer not to count them." Now how is that tantamount to lying?
Of course he counts them, Are you trying to suggest Sachin doesnt know how many test or ODI 100s he has ? He is totally aware of each and every nitty gritty stat detail of his batting career atleast, like how many 100s he has, how far he is behind Lara, and how many more runs to get to 12,000 etc. I can bet on it.
Guest HariSampath

see it doesnt matter whether one is stats minded or not AS LONG as it is taking care of team needs... once team needs are taken care of, what is wrong in counting one's performance ? and should one proclaim it all the time ? afterall, the whole world is doing the same thing in terms of counting records

There is your problem' date=' and no you have not been right, at least the time(s) I've seen. But feel free to pretend to read someone else's mindset.[/quote'] Well, I atleast try, and give it a shot. Not like some people who are just happy passing comments on others attempt at trying to be intelligent. :P
see it doesnt matter whether one is stats minded or not AS LONG as it is taking care of team needs... once team needs are taken care of' date=' what is wrong in counting one's performance ? and should one proclaim it all the time ? afterall, the whole world is doing the same thing in terms of counting records[/quote'] When did i ever say, " Sachin should not be stat-minded", or " It is wrong if he counts his performance" ?