Vijay Shankar (Batting Pacer Allrounder) - Performance Watch thread

Tamil Nadu allrounder Vijay Shankar late on Monday (November 20) evening received his maiden call-up into the Indian Test team as replacement for Bhuvneshwar Kumar for the Test series against Sri Lanka. A delighted Vijay Shankar, who was part of the Tamil Nadu Ranji Trophy side that played Madhya Pradesh in Indore, said he "never expected" it.

"It feels great. I didn't expect it. I always wanted to give my best in whatever cricket I play and never have I thought that if I do well in this tournament or competition I will get picked at the next level. It's a dream come true moment and I'm looking forward to my maiden stint in the Indian dressing-room," Vijay told TOI.

Over the past three years,Vijay, 26, was a regular feature in the India A set-up and chief selector MSK Prasad did mention that Vijay was always in the selectors' radar. But the lanky cricketer, who represented Sunrisers Hyderabad in IPL, was unfortunate with a spate of injuries over the last 18 months. Yet, the medium-pace allrounder has over come every obstacle.

"There have been times when I felt disappointed at missing out on A tours. The two months I had spent at the National Cricket Academy discussing with trainer Rajini made me learn more about myself. I always wanted to give my best and be sincere during rehab," added Vijay who averages 49.14 in first-class cricket.

Vijay, a terrific fielder, believes the India A stints helped him evolve and mature as a complete allrounder. "I had batted at different positions. It helped me understand the adaptability factor much better. I have always strived to be consistent," he said.

Vijay said discussing some technical aspects of his bowling with TN bowling coach L Balaji has done him a world of good. "I have improved on my bowling speed. Balaji helped me understand how to make the most of my non-bowling arm and helped me in my run-up. It has helped me immensely," he added.

Source: http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/98484/india-vs-sri-lanka-test-series-cricket-never-expected-india-call-vijay-shankar

Vijay Shankar was playing a Ranji Trophy match for Tamil Nadu in Indore when he was told, on Monday evening, “to get ready”. The national selectors announced later that night that Shikhar Dhawan and Bhuvneshwar Kumar had been released from the squad for the second Test against Sri Lanka in Nagpur, and that Vijay would be Bhuvneshwar’s replacement for the remainder of the series.

Tamil Nadu allrounder Vijay Shankar has been on the fringes of selection, so his elevation to the Test squad shouldn’t come as a surprise. The 26-year-old has also been part of the India A squad and is an emerging allrounder. He bats in the middle order and bowls right-arm medium-pace – he started out as an offspinner but switched to seam bowling to lend more variety to the Tamil Nadu attack, given the presence of R. Ashwin and other spinners in the squad.

Vijay comes from a cricket-loving family. His father, H.Shankar is a former club cricketer and his brother plays league cricket as well. His father went the extra mile to support his sons’ cricketing ambitions by constructing a net-practice facility at the terrace of their two-storey house in Madipakkam, a Chennai suburb. With astro truf and a bowling machine to boot, Vijay was spared the trouble of travelling far for daily practice. It’s a story quite similar to that of Yuvraj Singh, whose dad Yograj built a net at their Chandigarh home three decades ago.

Vijay has a reputation for being a big hitter, making him useful as a limited-overs batsman, but has shown that he can adapt to the longer formats. He made his Ranji Trophy debut in 2012-13, playing three games and scoring an unbeaten century.

His breakthrough Ranji season was in 2014-15, during which he scored 577 runs in seven matches, scoring two hundreds and three fifties. He also picked up eight wickets. That earned him a call-up to the India A squad to face Australia A and he made an impact straightaway, scoring a fifty.

Vijay has also toured South Africa with the A side, where he played an important role in helping India clinch the tri-series by scoring 72 in the final. He was picked up by Sunrisers Hyderabad during the 2016 auction and in four matches he has a highest score of 63.

In his short career though, Vijay has had his share of injury troubles. “It was frustrating missing matches, but I kept working hard at my rehab with intensity and sincerity,” Vijay told The Hindu on Monday. Nevertheless, it didn’t deter Tamil Nadu from naming him as the State captain for the limited-overs tournaments. He captained the side to title triumphs in the Vijay Hazare and Deodhar Trophies last season.

At the time of writing, Vijay averages just under 50 in 32 first-class matches and has 27 first-class wickets. If Vijay does make his Test debut in Nagpur, it will be a coincidence of sorts because his namesake in the Tamil Nadu and India squad, M. Vijay, made his debut at the same venue, eight years ago.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/all-you-need-to-know-about-vijay-shankar/article20609854.ece

2 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

Tamil Nadu allrounder Vijay Shankar late on Monday (November 20) evening received his maiden call-up into the Indian Test team as replacement for Bhuvneshwar Kumar for the Test series against Sri Lanka. A delighted Vijay Shankar, who was part of the Tamil Nadu Ranji Trophy side that played Madhya Pradesh in Indore, said he "never expected" it.

"It feels great. I didn't expect it. I always wanted to give my best in whatever cricket I play and never have I thought that if I do well in this tournament or competition I will get picked at the next level. It's a dream come true moment and I'm looking forward to my maiden stint in the Indian dressing-room," Vijay told TOI.

Over the past three years,Vijay, 26, was a regular feature in the India A set-up and chief selector MSK Prasad did mention that Vijay was always in the selectors' radar. But the lanky cricketer, who represented Sunrisers Hyderabad in IPL, was unfortunate with a spate of injuries over the last 18 months. Yet, the medium-pace allrounder has over come every obstacle.

"There have been times when I felt disappointed at missing out on A tours. The two months I had spent at the National Cricket Academy discussing with trainer Rajini made me learn more about myself. I always wanted to give my best and be sincere during rehab," added Vijay who averages 49.14 in first-class cricket.

Vijay, a terrific fielder, believes the India A stints helped him evolve and mature as a complete allrounder. "I had batted at different positions. It helped me understand the adaptability factor much better. I have always strived to be consistent," he said.

Vijay said discussing some technical aspects of his bowling with TN bowling coach L Balaji has done him a world of good. "I have improved on my bowling speed. Balaji helped me understand how to make the most of my non-bowling arm and helped me in my run-up. It has helped me immensely," he added.

Source: http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/98484/india-vs-sri-lanka-test-series-cricket-never-expected-india-call-vijay-shankar

Call-up was long due...

Good luck Mr. Vijay Shankar

2 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

I swear icf mainly full of people trying to fulfill their sexual fantasies . They all want a new young beautiful women every week .

, they can’t achieve that so instead want a new young thing in team India every week !

Not really....Siraj made a disastrous debut but every one sympathized with him as he was a young rookie from a humble background who was overawed by the occasion. 

People were a little skeptical about Nair even after a 300 but again every one thinks that no matter how your technique looks, a player who scored a 300 at a test level deserves an extended run... no one thinks otherwise.

Same with Pant and Iyer,people want extended chances to be given.

where are you getting this from?

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

Not really....Siraj made a disastrous debut but every one sympathized with him as he was a young rookie from a humble background who was overawed by the occasion. 

People were a little skeptical about Nair even after a 300 but again every one thinks that no matter how your technique looks, a player who scored a 300 at a test level deserves an extended run... no one thinks otherwise.

Same with Pant and Iyer,people want extended chances to be given.

where are you getting this from?

From his ass

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Not true.  There was even a thread writing him off - based on a couple of overs on a T20 patta, where the guy was almost hyperventilating out of nervousness.

But then again it may not be the same persons who considered highly of him. We have so may active ICF posters now, and there will always be posters who consider someone highly or with scepticism.

Iyer was mentioned relentlessley on icf . For t20 team , odi and tests . People puling hair out not picked . Couple of games and no one is pumping poor lad 

Siraj in and no one mentions him

also a player estanblises himself and is proven performer . One bad series or half a year when out of nick and this person is slaughtered and name called and hounded . Then new guy comes in  and cycle continues 

look at rahane . World class guy . Has a dip in form ( all players do ) and slaughtered here 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Not true.  There was even a thread writing him off - based on a couple of overs on a T20 patta, where the guy was almost hyperventilating out of nervousness.

Siraj - Not Impressed.

If one analyses that match , one could see he has the tools required for a one day match . 

The one weak point was his slower balls which perhaps he over did and gave most runs and there is not much suprise element in his slower balls.

Couple of very good yorkers just raced to fine leg . 

I think  that match would have shown him what are his weak points , had he not debuted it would have taken almost 1+ year 

where he might have  faced such situation.

In any case it was patta and everybody was thrashed except Bhumra.

Guy was very nervous and just did not have any rythm , as his pace was really down.

4 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

If one analyses that match , one could see he has the tools required for a one day match . 

The one weak point was his slower balls which perhaps he over did and gave most runs and there is not much suprise element in his slower balls.

Couple of very good yorkers just raced to fine leg . 

I think  that match would have shown him what are his weak points , had he not debuted it would have taken almost 1+ year 

where he might have  faced such situation.

In any case it was patta and everybody was thrashed except Bhumra.

Guy was very nervous and just did not have any rythm , as his pace was really down.

Sure.  Its just that its not possible to accurately assess a pace bowling prospect based on 2-3 overs in a T20.  Especially when he was clearly not at his best due to debut jitters.   

1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

The answer is in your post itself. Rohit did great things in Limited overs, not in tests. Shall we play Pujara in Limited overs based on his test exploits?

Well Rohit record this year in tests good . Just stating a fact which people don’t like

i have my doubts how he would do in sa . But honestly that guy has ability and would not shock if banged a ton or 2 . Would back him on pure batting over shakhar: iyer this moment in time in sa 

2 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Well Rohit record this year in tests good . Just stating a fact which people don’t like

i have my doubts how he would do in sa . But honestly that guy has ability and would not shock if banged a ton or 2 . Would back him on pure batting over shakhar: iyer this moment in time in sa 

If so, that’s your opinion. Majority in this forum have maintained for long Rohit is not a test bat. So no one is changing their stance including me that he should not be in test squad.