So who are we taking as 5th seamer in the squad to SA? Dont tell me Pandya

Who will you choose as 5th seamer for SA tour   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you choose as 5th seamer for SA tour

We having been discussing opening combination, spinners, all rounder but what about the the 5th seamer in the squad. Whenever we go overseas we take 5 or more seamers. It becomes more important as our one seamer shami is injury prone. 

So Ishant, shami, umesh , bhuvi ........who will be the 5th one. 

Options

1. Shardul

2. Aniket.C. (left armer variety)

3. Siraj ( acc to me most talented one)

4. NAvdeep Saini (dark horse)

I dont see anyone apart from them getting into the mix as of now . 

SA tests from what I know

(a) start off as being bowler friendly

(b) Flatten out

(c) Day 5 better to bat than day 1

Considering SA will want 5 day games to maximize revenue this strategy makes a lot of sense. Recently BD games went into day 4/5

So i dont expect green mambas. Expect pitches with something in them initially or with new ball for the pacers.

What India need: 6 proper batters with a keeper who can bat.

(a) A pacer who can bowl long spells and keep things tight- Bhuvi 30 overs a day

(b) A spinner who will come into day 4/5 slightly who can keep things tight - Jadeja 25 overs a day

(c) Pair of bowlers who will make it count with the new ball by providing a burst of 5 overs at 145 plus - Umesh Shami 15-20 overs

I think its very important to keep things tight outside the new ball spells Ie. from overs 15-80.

So the question arises, what exactly are you looking for? Shardul is ideal for that burst. Confidently can say he can bowl 5 overs for 145 plus. Then he peters out. I personally dont buy this variety argument. Sa batters have seen it all. 

England won in SA because Anderson bowled those long spells and cramped SA when the scoring should have been easy. We need somebody like this.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

We having been discussing opening combination, spinners, all rounder but what about the the 5th seamer in the squad. Whenever we go overseas we take 5 or more seamers. It becomes more important as our one seamer shami is injury prone. 

So Ishant, shami, umesh , bhuvi ........who will be the 5th one. 

Options

1. Shardul

2. Aniket.C. (left armer variety)

3. Siraj ( acc to me most talented one)

4. NAvdeep Saini (dark horse)

I dont see anyone apart from them getting into the mix as of now . 

Bumrah.

I think by merit its Bumrah, but is there room in the squad?  

In addition to the starting XI from the recent test - Murali, Kuldeep, Ishant, Pandya  - we are up to 15 already, with a spare spinner, pacer, "batsman" and an "allrounder".   Add tailunt as 2nd spare bat - although IMHO it should be Parthiv Patel - and that makes 16 already.  

Are there ICC restrictions on squad sizes for bilateral tours?  I remember that it was an issue during the 2015 WC, and we carried Dhawal Kulkarni with the team as injury cover, but outside the official squad.  

15 minutes ago, sandeep said:

In addition to the starting XI from the recent test - Murali, Kuldeep, Ishant, Pandya  - we are up to 15 already, with a spare spinner, pacer, "batsman" and an "allrounder".   Add tailunt as 2nd spare bat - although IMHO it should be Parthiv Patel - and that makes 16 already.  

Are there ICC restrictions on squad sizes for bilateral tours?  I remember that it was an issue during the 2015 WC, and we carried Dhawal Kulkarni with the team as injury cover, but outside the official squad.  

No restriction. I am sure 17 member squad will tour

14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No restriction. I am sure 17 member squad will tour

So 16th will be tailunt, given VK's love for him.  And 17th could be that 5th seamer, or spare keeper-bat in Parthiv.  Given that we are sure to carry 3 openers, weakens Parthiv's case a bit.  So there is room for that 5th pacer in a 17-man squad. I hope its Bumrah.  Or if not, then Siraj or someone like him.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Bumrah.

45 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Possibly........

I missed his name

46 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I highly doubt kuldeep wud go. No point taking 3 spinners overseas. 5th seamer wud come in place of kuldeep 

For me Parthiv patel is a must and even consider Vijay shankar for sure as he will give an option to cushion batting with some bowling .

Shankar shud be taken overseas even if it means taking as 17th player

38 minutes ago, sandeep said:

So 16th will be tailunt, given VK's love for him.  And 17th could be that 5th seamer, or spare keeper-bat in Parthiv.  Given that we are sure to carry 3 openers, weakens Parthiv's case a bit.  So there is room for that 5th pacer in a 17-man squad. I hope its Bumrah.  Or if not, then Siraj or someone like him.

Bumrah should have been selected in this series. dont understand why he has been ignored. 

1. Bhuvi

2. Umesh

3. Shami

4. Ishant

5. Dhawal Kulkarni

6. Bumrah

7. Siraj

Aniket n shardul are bad. Haven't seen Navdeep. Bumrah is low in the list coz he is an excellent LoI bowler , has an action that's very difficult on his body. So I wanna rest him for tests.

Edited by randomGuy
18 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

1. Bhuvi

2. Umesh

3. Shami

4. Ishant

5. Dhawal Kulkarni

6. Bumrah

7. Siraj

Aniket n shardul are bad. Haven't seen Navdeep. Bumrah is low in the list coz he is an excellent LoI bowler , has an action that's very difficult on his body. So I wanna rest him for tests.

Aniket and Shardul are bad but Dhawal is good?