Sign in to follow this  
Ankit_sharma03

So who are we taking as 5th seamer in the squad to SA? Dont tell me Pandya

Who will you choose as 5th seamer for SA tour   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you choose as 5th seamer for SA tour

We having been discussing opening combination, spinners, all rounder but what about the the 5th seamer in the squad. Whenever we go overseas we take 5 or more seamers. It becomes more important as our one seamer shami is injury prone. 

So Ishant, shami, umesh , bhuvi ........who will be the 5th one. 

Options

1. Shardul

2. Aniket.C. (left armer variety)

3. Siraj ( acc to me most talented one)

4. NAvdeep Saini (dark horse)

I dont see anyone apart from them getting into the mix as of now . 

SA tests from what I know

(a) start off as being bowler friendly

(b) Flatten out

(c) Day 5 better to bat than day 1

Considering SA will want 5 day games to maximize revenue this strategy makes a lot of sense. Recently BD games went into day 4/5

So i dont expect green mambas. Expect pitches with something in them initially or with new ball for the pacers.

What India need: 6 proper batters with a keeper who can bat.

(a) A pacer who can bowl long spells and keep things tight- Bhuvi 30 overs a day

(b) A spinner who will come into day 4/5 slightly who can keep things tight - Jadeja 25 overs a day

(c) Pair of bowlers who will make it count with the new ball by providing a burst of 5 overs at 145 plus - Umesh Shami 15-20 overs

I think its very important to keep things tight outside the new ball spells Ie. from overs 15-80.

So the question arises, what exactly are you looking for? Shardul is ideal for that burst. Confidently can say he can bowl 5 overs for 145 plus. Then he peters out. I personally dont buy this variety argument. Sa batters have seen it all. 

England won in SA because Anderson bowled those long spells and cramped SA when the scoring should have been easy. We need somebody like this.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

We having been discussing opening combination, spinners, all rounder but what about the the 5th seamer in the squad. Whenever we go overseas we take 5 or more seamers. It becomes more important as our one seamer shami is injury prone. 

So Ishant, shami, umesh , bhuvi ........who will be the 5th one. 

Options

1. Shardul

2. Aniket.C. (left armer variety)

3. Siraj ( acc to me most talented one)

4. NAvdeep Saini (dark horse)

I dont see anyone apart from them getting into the mix as of now . 

Bumrah.

I think by merit its Bumrah, but is there room in the squad?  

In addition to the starting XI from the recent test - Murali, Kuldeep, Ishant, Pandya  - we are up to 15 already, with a spare spinner, pacer, "batsman" and an "allrounder".   Add tailunt as 2nd spare bat - although IMHO it should be Parthiv Patel - and that makes 16 already.  

Are there ICC restrictions on squad sizes for bilateral tours?  I remember that it was an issue during the 2015 WC, and we carried Dhawal Kulkarni with the team as injury cover, but outside the official squad.  

15 minutes ago, sandeep said:

In addition to the starting XI from the recent test - Murali, Kuldeep, Ishant, Pandya  - we are up to 15 already, with a spare spinner, pacer, "batsman" and an "allrounder".   Add tailunt as 2nd spare bat - although IMHO it should be Parthiv Patel - and that makes 16 already.  

Are there ICC restrictions on squad sizes for bilateral tours?  I remember that it was an issue during the 2015 WC, and we carried Dhawal Kulkarni with the team as injury cover, but outside the official squad.  

No restriction. I am sure 17 member squad will tour

14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No restriction. I am sure 17 member squad will tour

So 16th will be tailunt, given VK's love for him.  And 17th could be that 5th seamer, or spare keeper-bat in Parthiv.  Given that we are sure to carry 3 openers, weakens Parthiv's case a bit.  So there is room for that 5th pacer in a 17-man squad. I hope its Bumrah.  Or if not, then Siraj or someone like him.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Bumrah.

45 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Possibly........

I missed his name

46 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I highly doubt kuldeep wud go. No point taking 3 spinners overseas. 5th seamer wud come in place of kuldeep 

For me Parthiv patel is a must and even consider Vijay shankar for sure as he will give an option to cushion batting with some bowling .

Shankar shud be taken overseas even if it means taking as 17th player

45 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Squad will be only 16. India needs backup batsmen as well. I do not expect India to go with 5 genuine seamers. 5th one will be an all rounder. Bum, Um, Bhuv, Shami, Pandya

Overseas u have to go with 5 seamer, specially when one is such an injury prone bowler 

38 minutes ago, sandeep said:

So 16th will be tailunt, given VK's love for him.  And 17th could be that 5th seamer, or spare keeper-bat in Parthiv.  Given that we are sure to carry 3 openers, weakens Parthiv's case a bit.  So there is room for that 5th pacer in a 17-man squad. I hope its Bumrah.  Or if not, then Siraj or someone like him.

Bumrah should have been selected in this series. dont understand why he has been ignored. 

1. Bhuvi

2. Umesh

3. Shami

4. Ishant

5. Dhawal Kulkarni

6. Bumrah

7. Siraj

Aniket n shardul are bad. Haven't seen Navdeep. Bumrah is low in the list coz he is an excellent LoI bowler , has an action that's very difficult on his body. So I wanna rest him for tests.

Edited by randomGuy

18 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

1. Bhuvi

2. Umesh

3. Shami

4. Ishant

5. Dhawal Kulkarni

6. Bumrah

7. Siraj

Aniket n shardul are bad. Haven't seen Navdeep. Bumrah is low in the list coz he is an excellent LoI bowler , has an action that's very difficult on his body. So I wanna rest him for tests.

Aniket and Shardul are bad but Dhawal is good?

3 hours ago, randomGuy said:

1. Bhuvi

2. Umesh

3. Shami

4. Ishant

5. Dhawal Kulkarni

6. Bumrah

7. Siraj

care to explain How is Aniket n Shardul bad.............

Also how the hell is a trundler like Dhawal who has been smashed in A-cricket by minnows as well above bumrah n siraj 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

11 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

My choice is Bumrah as the fourth bowler ahead of Ishant. Bhuvi's success is only reinforcing my opinion.

Is Bumrah playing Ranjis? surely they wont pick him if he wont play 4 day cricket right now.

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

care to explain How is Aniket n Shardul bad.............

Also how the hell is a trundler like Dhawal who has been smashed in A-cricket by minnows as well above bumrah n siraj 

I have seen Aniket, shardul n Dhawal bowl. I go on what I see n try to evaluate ability, action, attitude, pace , fitness etc.

Siraj n Dhawal don't have that much difference... bumrah is better but you could break his body (due to very tough action)  if you play him in tests.

Edited by randomGuy

9 hours ago, randomGuy said:

1. Bhuvi

2. Umesh

3. Shami

4. Ishant

5. Dhawal Kulkarni

6. Bumrah

7. Siraj

Hehe why is trundler kulkarni ahead of bumrah

Has to be Bumrah...the guy is one of the top bowlers in the world in 2 formats of the game...How can you ignore that? He has Pace-Check, Has brains-check and Has the skills.

Dont want to see a fresh face in the test format as next in line till Bumrah gets his deserved shot first....Should have been given a go as a replacement to Bhuvi in the ongoing series to see how he does in tests.

13 minutes ago, Sgattick10 said:

No young Pacers around? Ishant/Bhuvi could be the stock bowlers. 

Ishant,Bhuvi,Bumrah to support Shami and Yadav.

Pandya is right now a bowling allrounder at the test level...his batting has showed a lot of

promose but don’t know if he has the technique on South African pitches to be considered a batting allrounder...but he makes the squad so that is our 6th pacer.

13 hours ago, randomGuy said:

1. Bhuvi

2. Umesh

3. Shami

4. Ishant

5. Dhawal Kulkarni

6. Bumrah

7. Siraj

Do you sir watch or understand cricket, Aniket has been very good in Ranji last few years, helped Rajasthan win twice if m right, he is about 6 4" min, bowls close to 140, gets bounce n moves the ball, I hope u haven't made juspdgement based on IPL where BATSMEN got hit beaten but got runs thru edges against him.

He can be India's Trump card in test, left Armer, with pace n bounce to take surface out of equation.

WHy do Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma have to be permanent fixtures in the team despite little performance? We have so many promising seamers playing in the domestics, so why are we acting like beggars who have no choices.

Here's who my 5 bowlers should be:

1. Bhuvi

2. Shami

3. Bumrah

4. Shardul / Lalit Yadav / Some Left arm pacer

5. Ishan Porel (We need to have one such pick who is more of a wild card. Even if he doesn't get a game, he will benefit enormously by being around the Indian team and playing tour games)

22 minutes ago, Texan said:

WHy do Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma have to be permanent fixtures in the team despite little performance? We have so many promising seamers playing in the domestics, so why are we acting like beggars who have no choices.

Here's who my 5 bowlers should be:

1. Bhuvi

2. Shami

3. Bumrah

4. Shardul / Lalit Yadav / Some Left arm pacer

5. Ishan Porel (We need to have one such pick who is more of a wild card. Even if he doesn't get a game, he will benefit enormously by being around the Indian team and playing tour games)

Shardul  isnt test material. does not have the stamina to last a test match and bowl 40 overs in a match with intensity. Would love to have Bumrah but i doubt team management is only preserving him for LOIs.

6 hours ago, randomGuy said:

I have seen Aniket, shardul n Dhawal bowl. I go on what I see n try to evaluate ability, action, attitude, pace , fitness etc.

Siraj n Dhawal don't have that much difference... bumrah is better but you could break his body (due to very tough action)  if you play him in tests.

Ability- What ability does a trundler like dhawal have

Action- achar daalu main action ka , 130k ke upar bwol to hoti nhin

Attitude- Shardul has the best attitude i have seen in many new and current bowlers

Pace- there is a diff of 10-15 km between dhawal n aniket n shardul, did u see what pace shardul was bowling in SL series

Siraj n dhawal dont have much diff :laugh1::laugh1:

I really wanna see those spells were u have seen dhawal bowl 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

20 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

I would give Umesh this series to see where he stands.

Same here....i have been Umesh's big fan and I have to support him and get him africa series..i am sure he will perform and fetch big wickets and compete with shammi and bhuvi

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Shardul  isnt test material. does not have the stamina to last a test match and bowl 40 overs in a match with intensity. Would love to have Bumrah but i doubt team management is only preserving him for LOIs.

how are u so sure?

shardul is taking bucket full of wickets for mumbai in ranji..how come?

4 hours ago, maniac said:

Has to be Bumrah...the guy is one of the top bowlers in the world in 2 formats of the game...How can you ignore that? He has Pace-Check, Has brains-check and Has the skills.

Dont want to see a fresh face in the test format as next in line till Bumrah gets his deserved shot first....Should have been given a go as a replacement to Bhuvi in the ongoing series to see how he does in tests.

Bumrah is not getting picked for a single test against Lanka and Lanka test is being considered as the Practice ground for Africa..so players chosen in these tests will only fly to South Africa.

PLease note this..it seems Shankar has chance to fly to Africa along with Hardik Pandya.

what my head Says is 

shammi ishant bhuvi Umesh will be the pacers

pandya sure will go and shankar also has outside chance to go, depending on whether he plays well in the second or third test...he is sure coming into the playing 11.

ashwin Jadeja and Kuldeep- 2 out of the three will go as i feel Kuldeep will definitely go and one out of ash/jaddu may go- any way 1 out of the three will play so 2 out of these three will go.

Dear OP Pandya is not a bowler or batter, but an allrounder n there is a separate slot for that.Now what you wish for is a allrounder who can bowl like Steyn n bat like Lara lol.

The kid has done great since debut, what do you expect, allrounders mature slowly, he can bowl a teasing line at 138 k, move the ball has a good short one n can seam, so please be real , he has to be in team as an allrounder n his performance with the bat n ball have been good.

40 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

what my head Says is 

shammi ishant bhuvi Umesh will be the pacers

pandya sure will go and shankar also has outside chance to go, depending on whether he plays well in the second or third test...he is sure coming into the playing 11.

ashwin Jadeja and Kuldeep- 2 out of the three will go as i feel Kuldeep will definitely go and one out of ash/jaddu may go- any way 1 out of the three will play so 2 out of these three will go.

Since kuldeep has been warming benches i highly doubt he ll go 

Just now, MCcricket said:

Dear OP Pandya is not a bowler or batter, but an allrounder n there is a separate slot for that.Now what you wish for is a allrounder who can bowl like Steyn n bat like Lara lol.

I knw that ...........

Just now, MCcricket said:

The kid has done great since debut, what do you expect, allrounders mature slowly, he can bowl a teasing line at 138 k, move the ball has a good short one n can seam, so please be real , he has to be in team as an allrounder n his performance with the bat n ball have been good.

So were did i criticize him or raise question on him..............infact im one of them who has given the same point ur giving from his debut 

Read carefully all m saying is pandya shudnt be the excuse of not taking 5th seamer . 

Likhna hai to matalb kuch bhi........

4 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I knw that ...........

So were did i criticize him or raise question on him..............infact im one of them who has given the same point ur giving from his debut 

Read carefully all m saying is pandya shudnt be the excuse of not taking 5th seamer . 

Likhna hai to matalb kuch bhi........

I can't read your mind, but only comment on what is written, and I agree, but this will be a three test series now, so 5 bowlers, n the management is rigid ,don't see em playing any one outside their clique so pointless unless a few bowlers get injured.

Most prob Shami, BK, Umesh, Ishant n Pandya /Shankar as allrounders, ideally I would wanna see Bumrah, Aniket n no Ishant n if Umesh is bowling at 135k then he shouldn't go to SA.

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Ability- What ability does a trundler like dhawal have

Action- achar daalu main action ka , 130k ke upar bwol to hoti nhin

Attitude- Shardul has the best attitude i have seen in many new and current bowlers

Pace- there is a diff of 10-15 km between dhawal n aniket n shardul, did u see what pace shardul was bowling in SL series

Siraj n dhawal dont have much diff :laugh1::laugh1:

I really wanna see those spells were u have seen dhawal bowl 

I have played one Ranji match for my state. I know better than you. That's all I got to say.

22 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

I have played one Ranji match for my state. I know better than you. That's all I got to say.

Playing one ranji match does not make you better than any.  Playing cricket has nothing to do with cricketing judgement about players.

27 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Gavaskar has more international games then anyone here and yet he thinks rahane shud be selected in t20 ( he is the best opening batsman in test cricket)

Azharduddin have been a captain of indian side for a long period and yet he wants yuvi n raina back 

Bhajji thinks after karthik raina is the best option at no-4.......and he has 600+ international wkts

Yet most ICF are smarter then them and they havent played on national level......

I dont know how much bhogle has played at competitive level or has he even...........but his analysis is better then most cricketers

1 kya 100 ranji match khel lo............samjh ka koi fixed criteria nhin hota......

Since ur a ranji player and u find dhawal so good that has answered one of my concerns how these trundlers have ruled ranji........in ur mind they are malcolm marshal 

Yea right dhawal is good......so ranji player where does he stand. Be rest assured when it comes to selection he stands right behind Siraj, shardul, aniket . 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.