India's Yo-Yo Test Report Card: Ashish Nehra reveals Yuvraj Singh yet to pass it

velu

New Delhi: Indian cricketer Ashish Nehra, who made his commentary debut in the recently concluded 1st Test between India and Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens stadium, has been bringing up many interesting conversations and facts from the commentary box along with fellow commentators like Virender Sehwag and VVS Laxman. One such conversation was on the topic of the 'Yo-Yo' Test when the former left-arm speedster not just revealed the test scores of several Indian cricketers but also admitted that Yuvraj Singh is yet to clear it. 

1511148218-yuvraj-Nehra-PTI.jpg

"Yo-Yo test is similar to the Blip test we would do in 2001-02. In this test, you have to cover a range of 20 meters in a given time and have to return to start point on a blip. Team India has set a 16.1 mark, which is soon going to be 16.5 soon. The New Zealand cricket team has it at 18. So you have to run a lot," Nehra revealed.

"All the players perform above than 16.1 mark as that is the qualifying mark. Hardik Pandya has done 19, I marked 18.5 ahead of the T20I series against England in January. Manish Pandey does 19," he added.

Yuvraj Singh (35) and Suresh Raina (30), both have reportedly failed the clear Yo-Yo test on multiple occasions and will only be considered for selection if they clear the Yo-Yo test. The selection panel will give them a chance of a return to the Indian team once they prove their fitness. Until then, they will have to continue toiling in domestic cricket.

http://www.timesnownews.com/sports/article/indias-yo-yo-test-report-card-ashish-nehra-reveals-yuvraj-singh-yet-to-pass-it/128996

25 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How did Ashwin pass and Raina fail. Yuvraj I can understand but Raina.

Ashwin has endurance, read somewhere that he regularly finishes among the top in long runs. Speed and agility is his problem. O' Keefe from Australia has the highest yo yo score among all international cricketers, but he doesn't look like a Maxwell/Warner/Smith on the field, does he? Similarly Doug Bollinger, the Aussie fatso has higher yo yo score than the likes of ABDV, Rabada, Steyn, Kohli, Pandey etc. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Ashwin has endurance, read somewhere that he regularly finishes among the top in long runs. Speed and agility is his problem. O' Keefe from Australia has the highest yo yo score among all international cricketers, but he doesn't look like a Maxwell/Warner/Smith on the field, does he? Similarly Doug Bollinger, the Aussie fatso has higher yo yo score than the likes of ABDV, Rabada, Steyn, Kohli, Pandey etc. 

then probably Sehwag might top the endurance charts  

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

then they should modify the yo-yo to mandate the first few rounds being done faster than the later ones, need to identify endurance along with performance.

59 minutes ago, velu said:

then probably Sehwag might top the endurance charts  

Watch the 2004 Chennai test and how Gavaskar made a fantastic point about cricketing fitness being different than in other sports. He raised this point when Kaif, the super fit 6 pack athlete cramped out while Viru was made it look so easy on a very hot and humid day. I don't have that link but remember a very nice discussion along those lines in one of the breaks, back then SunnyG was actually good in commentary and analysis. 

28 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Watch the 2004 Chennai test and how Gavaskar made a fantastic point about cricketing fitness being different than in other sports. He raised this point when Kaif, the super fit 6 pack athlete cramped out while Viru was made it look so easy on a very hot and humid day. I don't have that link but remember a very nice discussion along those lines in one of the breaks, back then SunnyG was actually good in commentary and analysis. 

yep .. i was thinkign about that innings only..

also the way he bats from the beginning of  the innings , or batting at 100 or 150 , his enery level seems to eb same ..

most players gets tired after a long innings but not sehwag

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I have bigger question over Kedar jadhav, atleast those 2 are match winners n backbones of the team in their own right 

True. I feel they are more strict about fitness in LOIs. Test matches are still okay and Ashwin and Pujara are pretty important players.

Kedar Jadhav still might have passed the test though. He is borderline fit.

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

because Sehwag barely runs, how is he going to get cramps without running?