Will India ever be able to have anything like the Ashes?

G_B_

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Neither am I.   That's why I said maybe the next generation of greenbros may be weaned off the jihadi tit.  

The secretion from jihadi tit is very addictive. I have no hope of playing them and that is perfectly O.K.

2 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

BCCI needs to create hype about some series...

Atleast for monetary benefits itself. Look at the ashes..two mediocre sides playing but still so much money is being minted.

There is IPL. BCCI needs nothing else. Beat England, beat Australia the chips will fall in the right place.

9 hours ago, chewy said:

p.s, just look at the failure of England to launch a rival blockbuster league and the epic slap on face, Haroon Logart's embarassing failure of the Global t20 league

like I said only India can do something like an IPL, it's a unique event.

This ^^^^^^

India-SA can compete with the Ashes. For Brits and Aussies Ashes will always be the be all, end all. Indo-Pak matches are impossible. Why not try to develop the India-SA series as a marquee series? We both have history right from the apartheid days, we were the 1st team to welcome them back into the fold of international cricket. And India-SA test matches are blockbuster, can remember so many quality series' between the 2 teams. While we have never won in SA, all the tours there have been competitive unlike our tours to Aus and Eng. Among visitors no other team has pushed us to the limits like the Saffers. Whilst I hate the name Gandhi-Mandela trophy (It should have been Kallis-Tendulkar) but this trophy has serious potential. Play 4 tests (not 3 or two) every 2 years on a home away basis and market it well, no reason why this can't rival the Ashes. 

Edited by Gollum

Sorry, no other series will replicate Ashes. They have marketed it bloody well all these years. Other teams will be playing few good series when the teams are competitive, but unfortunately there will not be as much interest as Ashes generate. Thats a fact, no denying. Ind-Pak could have come closer, but obviously its not going to happen anytime soon.

India must focus on IPL. It has started very well, but need to be tweaked and made more competitive to sustain for years. Forget Test matches, nobody in India is going to go and fill stadiums like how we see in Aus. Lets make IPL our marque event and find ways to make it more interesting.

Edited by Shunya
20 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Let face it guys the Ashes rightly or wrongly is the biggest event in test cricket

I think in the last decade briefly it was India v Australia.

But nothing really matches the history and the fan fair behind this event.

Now I am a firm backer of the BCCI. But you have to admit there is a feeling of "new money" behind them. No interest in creating a legacy. Look at the IPL few years in and full of scandal.

I mean forget about test cricket. India loves LOI. So why cant there be a LOI event run just by India which has a legacy factor.

Kya Ashes ,India ki har game main, betters ki vaat lag jati hain!

8 hours ago, Gollum said:

India-SA can compete with the Ashes. For Brits and Aussies Ashes will always be the be all, end all. Indo-Pak matches are impossible. Why not try to develop the India-SA series as a marquee series? We both have history right from the apartheid days, we were the 1st team to welcome them back into the fold of international cricket. And India-SA test matches are blockbuster, can remember so many quality series' between the 2 teams. While we have never won in SA, all the tours there have been competitive unlike our tours to Aus and Eng. Among visitors no other team has pushed us to the limits like the Saffers. Whilst I hate the name Gandhi-Mandela trophy (It should have been Kallis-Tendulkar) but this trophy has serious potential. Play 4 tests (not 3 or two) every 2 years on a home away basis and market it well, no reason why this can't rival the Ashes. 

With Haroon "hater" Lorgat out yes SA can be a formidable rival.

2 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Looks like we will be the first opponents of Ireland in Tests. Its time for someone to burn the wickets so we get our own Ashes.

Banjo how about doing something original instead of blindly aping others.  Besides, it doesn't come off right when Pakistanis start talking about burning and ashes.  

31 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Banjo how about doing something original instead of blindly aping others.  Besides, it doesn't come off right when Pakistanis start talking about burning and ashes.  

So having a second Ashes is not original? How many teams can claim they are the second team to do the Ashes?

13 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Your sentiments are all over the place. Who gets to decide what's McDonald and what's michelin star experience in cricket? Your nagging inferiority complex isn't a reliable determinant.

Non Aussie/Brit Ashes lovers remind me of people at super expensive restaurants who try cuisines which are nicely decorated but are bland in taste and unfulfilling. They're there not for the food but for the brand. Whereas at a roadside dhaba near a small town would serve you fulfilling food at a cheap price.

To be honest, the best test cricket I've watched is Australia vs South Africa, I would have loved to watch Australia vs West Indies in the 80's, looked pretty engaging.

Edited by MechEng