Abhishek Nayar, a case of inadequate talent or a victim of partiality?

rtmohanlal

Just saw this name in another headline.Though had heard his name before ,this headline just prompted to have a look at his resume.He has played almost 100 matches with a bat avg: of around 46 and a bowl avg: of around 32.This  despite being out of form off late and getting dropped from his team. Means his record was even better before his decline.And to add to that he is a left handed batsman too. People are seen going gaga over Vijay Shankar.It is safe to say that Nayar has much better stats than Shankar when longevity too is taken into account.Now Nayar is over 34 and hence too late a contestant for test cap.This prompts to think what   went wrong in his case? Despite being from prestigious Mumbai team  he didn't get a chance in his earlier days. Reasons???????  

Nayar's bowling is not international class, and neither is his batting to be honest.  He is a value add at the FC level, with his experience etc.  IIRC he is a very good mentor etc for the Bombay squad as well as other players like Dinesh Karthik etc.  But as a player, he just wasn't good enough to make that cut.  Probably bowled 120s at his fastest.   Think Joginder Sharma, but with slightly better batting, if that.  

As a long-time Indian fan, I remember hoping that he somehow finds a way to improve and get to the team - we have been desperate for seam-bowling allrounder forever - we even tried Sanjay Bangar for a season or so.  Nayyar was young then, and a contender as such, but never could take that next step.

As for Bangar, his playing career will be appreciated for that valuable contribution in that England test match, where  he ground out a tough couple of hours in swinging conditions with Dravid, eventually leading to a memorable test win.

46 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Binny was better then him and that says it all 

binny was marginally a better bowler but Nayar in domestics has a proper batting record, i.e. that of a top order bat. Agree with Sandeep above that he was short of int'l class, but very well suited for domestics

13 minutes ago, Vijy said:

binny was marginally a better bowler but Nayar in domestics has a proper batting record, i.e. that of a top order bat. Agree with Sandeep above that he was short of int'l class, but very well suited for domestics

Not mariginally, Nayar was 115k bowler and binny could touch 130k at times ......

Give binny damp or grassy surface he had the ability to run over half sides.......give nayar any surface much wnt happen most days

Binny batting was also decent.........the guy saved us a test match in eng and scored in one game in Aus i remeber were whole team was struggling. 

At domestic level i consider binny a match winner and personally rate high quite ahead of nayar atleast . But Credit where its due nayar served mumbai cricket well for many years. 

He is a terrific FC player who has contributed a lot to Indian domestic cricket. He did well to smack Flintoff for 3 sixes in a an over an IPL match and that was the time during which he was being considered for the Indian team or at least people wanted him around the team. However, we had a lot of other batting prospects who were considered more reliable and Nayar’s mediocre bowling wasn’t the best among many bowlers, and therefore he never really got a chance after the couple games which he managed to play in 2009.

He has served Indian crcket well in the form of being a regular Ranji player and somone who has raised the bar in Ranji like many. Like Sandeep mentioned about him me mentoring Karthik, there is a reason why he is kind of considered to mentor to so many players because people value his inputs. 

Players like him might get a lot of stick from the Indian cricket fans for being trundler etc or by seeing their below par performance for when they played  against India, but these players need to be respected also since they have managed to raise the bar in Ranji and pushed other players around them.

Likes of Binny, Joginder and Sanjay Bangar are better than him...

I remember a game he played against WI....and incidentally Dhoni bowled in that game .....Dhoni looked much much better than him ....that says it all

Now h can move to other inferior Ranji teams like his partner jaffer

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk