Manjrekar: India needs more bowling superstars

cric_fan

Former Indian batsman Sanjay Manjrekar has said cricket fans in the country should follow their Pakistani counterparts when it comes to making heroes out of bowlers to inspire the younger generation.

The 52-year-old stressed on the lack of bowling heroes in India, which is in stark contrast to Pakistan where the likes of Wasim Akram, Imran Khan and Waqar Younis are more popular than batsmen.

Manjrekar added it is "nice" to see bowlers winning matches for India in the recent past. The right-handed batsman, who represented the country in 37 Tests and 74 ODIs, though urged fans to "embrace" the likes of Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah, who have been consistently been the game-changers for India.

'Bowling superstar'

"All India needs is one bowling superstar and it will have amazing (impact) effect on younger kids. You have best academies and infrastructure in the world, but youngsters get inspired by bowling and batting heroes. Cricket inspires young cricketers," Manjrekar said, as quoted by "Press Trust of India" news agency.

He added: "In India, we are a little more obsessed with batting. That is not the case with Pakistan, for example. When you look at Pakistan, superstars are mostly bowlers, starting with Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis. So their bowling heroes are revered more.

"India has somehow produced greatness in sport through batsmanship and not so much from bowling. It is up to the fans to start making heroes out of bowlers and I think that is starting to happen now.

"We have game-changers like (Jasprit) Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar who are winning Man-of-the-Match or Man- of-the-Series awards. That's a nice trend, a different trend, but at the end of the day it's the fans who have to embrace who their hero is. They like batsmen more."

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/former-batsman-wants-india-take-cue-pakistan-cricket-fans-heres-why-750480

I kinda agree with Manj. The likes of Bhumra, Bhuvneshkar, Yadav, Zaheer, Pathan, Nehra, Sharma, Sreesanth, RP Singh, Prasad, Srinath, Mohanty, Kuruvilla etc etc will be forgotten in years to come...Shami has potential to be the best. Lets see.

Whenever fast bowling is discussed, the names of Imran, Wasim, Waqar & Shoaib will always come up..even 100yrs from now.

Indian batsmen will surely be talked about for many yrs to come but so will the likes of Hanif, Abbas, Anwar, Miandad. So Pak has rich history in both batting & bowling. Whereas Ind in batting only.

Good to know India wants to learn from Pakistan in something. I guess Ishant Sharmas and Bhuvi are not enough. India you need more bowling superstars. Please look at us on how to bowl better in cricket. 
Yes India needs to learn how to use bottle caps, how to chuck, how to chew balls.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

He means india needs more bottle cap experts . 

Yes India needs to learn how to use bottle caps, how to chuck, how to chew balls.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

I was talking about resources like bottle caps which have nothing to do with cricket, ball chewing

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Can’t take the truth? Im guessing sales of extra strong burnol must be at a all time high in India.