Smart phone on this black friday

sarcastic

Can someone advise me on the choice of smart phone. I am not necessarily looking for the latest versions but just that is good enough for all basic things of a smart phone such as whatsapp, maps, app download, music etc. 

So the choices are Samsung Galaxy versions 7 or 8 and Apple IPhone versions 8 or 10. Based on your personal experience of using these phones, can you please advice me so that I can make use of the black friday sale to the maximum!!!!!!

I used to be, and to some extent, still am, very anti-Apple.  I hate the company, and used exclusively Android phones till Nov 2015.  That's when I got a decent deal on the Iphone, which I'm still using.   Apart from the infuriating inability to add storage to the phone, my experience with the Iphone has been a lot better than the Androids.  Maybe the latest versions of Samsung etc are better today, but for a phone, its hard to argue against Apple.  The software and hardware, are noticeably better, and more stable.  Same goes for battery life.  

On 11/23/2017 at 7:38 PM, maniac said:

Damn the line at Best Buy ...missed the $190 sharp 50inch 4K deal :((

I wanted to watch Rohit,s batting and Ishu’s bowling in South Africa on 4K :((

Probably not worth the effort. 4K by itself does not dramatically improve overall picture quality esp if the source is not 4k and on screen sizes less than 55 inches (unless you sit too close to the TV) .... However, 4K in conjunction with HDR (high dynamic range) is a different story

PS  https://www.tomsguide.com/us/hdr-tv-explained,news-22227.html 

Edited by zen

On 11/23/2017 at 5:08 PM, sarcastic said:

Can someone advise me on the choice of smart phone. I am not necessarily looking for the latest versions but just that is good enough for all basic things of a smart phone such as whatsapp, maps, app download, music etc. 

So the choices are Samsung Galaxy versions 7 or 8 and Apple IPhone versions 8 or 10. Based on your personal experience of using these phones, can you please advice me so that I can make use of the black friday sale to the maximum!!!!!!

Can't go wrong with either a Samsung or an iPhone. It would be more about the OS you prefer

If you prefer Android. Take a look at the Essential phone too, which has seen a big price reduction following the launch of some of the other phones. The hardware on it is good and the software gives an almost stock Android experience 

I don't know the price but Razor has come up with a brilliant phone:

Edited by zen

Talking about 4k HDR TVs, LG C7 OLED is receiving great reviews this year

Last year, Samsung LEDs (marketed as QLED iirc) such as 8 series and 9 series were among great buys. This year I feel that LEDs have not improved much over last year. May be the tech is providing diminishing returns. Though Sony’s 900 series ( 940 for e.g) has been widely appreciated this year

For deals, the 2016 Samsung 8 series (KS8000) if available is a smart buy!

1 hour ago, zen said:

Talking about 4k HDR TVs, LG C7 OLED is receiving great reviews this year

Last year, Samsung LEDs (marketed as QLED iirc) such as 8 series and 9 series were among great buys. This year I feel that LEDs have not improved much over last year. May be the tech is providing diminishing returns. Though Sony’s 900 series ( 940 for e.g) has been widely appreciated this year

For deals, the 2016 Samsung 8 series (KS8000) if available is a smart buy!

Some of them are almost $2000 bucks...I only wanted the 4K for the incredible deal....less than $200 for a brand like sharp and that too 4K looked really tempting...I don’t think I am ready to spend so much money on a TV.

Thanks every one (@sandeep, @Cricketics, @zen, @Vilander, @maniac) for the valuable suggestions. It was very difficult for me to choose between Samsung and Apple but went with Samsung S8 as I got a good deal of $100 + 2 year contract going with it. Apple 8 was for $400 + contract and hence felt I will postpone it for some other year. 

1 hour ago, motomaverick said:

iPhones have better battery than most phones? Wow, we learn something new everyday.

I use both iphone (home sim) and note (work sim). While note charges quickly, iPhone battery appears to last longer. It may not necessarily be better battery but IOS optimized that it gives an improved battery life 

Edited by zen