Jump to content
BeautifulGame

Ishant Sharma record in last 3 years @ home : 9 tests ,10 wickets and bowl Ave : 50

Recommended Posts

Just now, BeautifulGame said:

And still gets picked in the team not a single new seamer tested in last 4-5 years .

 

9  tests , 15 innings and 10 wickets , Averaging 49.20.

 

Why exactly is he being picked ?

Given that Bhuvi and Shami are unavailable, who would you rather have seen?  I would liked Bumrah to play but he's nowhere near the team in tests.  I'd still pick Ishant over the likes of Shardul, Dhawal, Unadkat etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Given that Bhuvi and Shami are unavailable, who would you rather have seen?  I would liked Bumrah to play but he's nowhere near the team in tests.  I'd still pick Ishant over the likes of Shardul, Dhawal, Unadkat etc.
Siraj or Bumrah should have been picked.

And would take Shardul ahead of Ishant easily.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Given that Bhuvi and Shami are unavailable, who would you rather have seen?  I would liked Bumrah to play but he's nowhere near the team in tests.  I'd still pick Ishant over the likes of Shardul, Dhawal, Unadkat etc.

I would have Shardul if i had the option.  He is a wicket taking bowler, has a very good outswinger. Though i could have tried someone like Siraj, Aniket, Ankit, Navdeep too. Navdeep just out bowled Ishant in the second innings against Maharashtra. There is no lack of option and all these ofur have decent enough pace. Ankit and Aniket are tall and would get extra bounce if that is available on the pitch but we have been so conservative in selections. We have selected Rohit while could have easily played Shankar here.

Share this post


Link to post

Ishant sharma is an experienced campaigner (he already has 77 tests under his belt). We already invested in him a lot and he needs to persisted with to maximize that.... He will achieve success here and let us see how it pans out in South Africa....

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Ishant sharma is an experienced campaigner (he already has 77 tests under his belt). We already invested in him a lot and he needs to persisted with to maximize that.... He will achieve success here and let us see how it pans out in South Africa....

last 9 test show otherwise

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

last 9 test show otherwise

That's true but off late Ishant declined in home tests but improved in away matches. I have a gut feeling he will do well in South Africa. There will at least be one memorable spell where he will run through the SAffers line up. Only time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

he always bowls well. even in those 9 tests he bowled well but no result to show. He just does not bowl enough wicket taking taking deliveries for flatter tracks. 

Both ish and umesh are not bowling consistant line.

Share this post


Link to post

Both Ishant and Umesh bowl very few good length , off-stump to fifth stump deliveries ..... and that is their problem.

 

Shami, Bhuvi and Bumrah bowl lots of good length , off-stump to fifth stump deliveries .... and that is why they can be better wicket-takers.

Share this post


Link to post

Useless, highly inconsistent bowler can be a headache for any captain but not for Delhi friendship , just picked up a 3fer and people will go gagaga on him... Wait for him to troll you guys by being inconsistent again some thing which he has been doing for last 10 years :wall:

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Both Ishant and Umesh bowl very few good length , off-stump to fifth stump deliveries ..... and that is their problem.

 

Shami, Bhuvi and Bumrah bowl lots of good length , off-stump to fifth stump deliveries .... and that is why they can be better wicket-takers.

they dont move the ball both ways so have less margin or error for their line ,bhuvi started with inswing and now has both, same with bumrah ,shami too can move it both ways .

Share this post


Link to post

I think Ishant can be valuable in short burst. Today he only had to bowl 14 overs so he did pretty good unsettled the batsman with his pace and bounce. If he has to bowl more on a flat pitch outside the subcontinent he might struggle. This might be why he averages 45 outside of asia and west indies, but in asia and west indies he averages 31, those are places pace bowlers don't have to bowl that often. If India play 5 bowlers in SA and he doesn't have too many overs in a day he might be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Silva said:

I think Ishant can be valuable in short burst. Today he only had to bowl 14 overs so he did pretty good unsettled the batsman with his pace and bounce. If he has to bowl more on a flat pitch outside the subcontinent he might struggle. This might be why he averages 45 outside of asia and west indies, but in asia and west indies he averages 31, those are places pace bowlers don't have to bowl that often. If India play 5 bowlers in SA and he doesn't have too many overs in a day he might be useful.

So he needs to be treated as a support bowler still after playing 78 tests?

Edited by Forever Indian

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

So he needs to be treated as a support bowler still after playing 78 tests?

Yes, he is a pretty good 3rd seamer for any team as @Silva points out. He may end up playing 100 tests too in that role.

 

Even Ganguly played mostly as a support batsman to others in the middle order as far as tests are concerned. He still was very valuable occasionally for team's victory. You can say Ishant Sharma is the bowling version of S Ganguly in test cricket. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Yes, he is a pretty good 3rd seamer for any team as @Silva points out. He may end up playing 100 tests too in that role.

 

Even Ganguly played mostly as a support batsman to others in the middle order as far as tests are concerned. He still was very valuable occasionally for team's victory. You can say Ishant Sharma is the bowling version of S Ganguly in test cricket. 

I would rather invest in a youngster to perform the role of a support bowler. Atleast the youngster will improve from the experience to be a lead strike bowler in a couple of years time. What are you going to gain in wasting more time on Ishant?

Edited by Forever Indian

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

they dont move the ball both ways so have less margin or error for their line ,bhuvi started with inswing and now has both, same with bumrah ,shami too can move it both ways .

Umesh does but seams it into the left hander in an awkward angle. I think his problem is accuracy. Or are you talking about inswinger to right hander. Remember the sakhib spell and Aus test he has that away going one for left handers. Obvious his stock ball is 140 k outswinger to right hander.

 

Umesh just has to do what he did in Aus tour and some other spells more often. Perplexing guy.

Share this post


Link to post

An other thing is there was little conventional swing available yesterday so they even insisted on change of ball to work it with out it getting horribly distorted, this is mostly bad for Umesh the guys needs lots of work on ball..usually Shami reverses before him and swings before him as well..

 

Now its difficult for Umesh, Ishant goes over him so its 

 

Shami

Bhuv

Ishant

Umesh.

 

this is not exactly good. 

Edited by Vilander

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, sandeep said:

Given that Bhuvi and Shami are unavailable, who would you rather have seen?  I would liked Bumrah to play but he's nowhere near the team in tests.  I'd still pick Ishant over the likes of Shardul, Dhawal, Unadkat etc.

But we havent tested shardul in test format .....he has done well and bowls good outswinger at good pace, also known to be good with reverse swing. M sure if jeff thompson n zaheer khan have rated him highly there must be something good in him.

 

By the look of it he looks like someone who can offer a lot , unfair to count his case out before he has played 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Vilander said:

Umesh does but seams it into the left hander in an awkward angle. I think his problem is accuracy. Or are you talking about inswinger to right hander. Remember the sakhib spell and Aus test he has that away going one for left handers. Obvious his stock ball is 140 k outswinger to right hander.

 

Umesh just has to do what he did in Aus tour and some other spells more often. Perplexing guy.

inswing to righthander ,occassionaly he does it (into righthander and across left), thats when he becomes harder to play.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

inswing to righthander ,occassionaly he does it (into righthander and across left), thats when he becomes harder to play.

He is desperate for reverse from second spell..even Ishant manages to keep it in good length when going almost full. But yadav searches for that reverse and goes almost half volley or wide..time is running out for him to keep his starting spot. But he will go to sa anyway with shamis hip being what it is. I think Umesh will do better second innings..expect him to pick wickets.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

But we havent tested shardul in test format .....he has done well and bowls good outswinger at good pace, also known to be good with reverse swing. M sure if jeff thompson n zaheer khan have rated him highly there must be something good in him.

 

By the look of it he looks like someone who can offer a lot , unfair to count his case out before he has played 

Shardul lacks stamina. Can't sustain intensity. Today he went 4 an over against Tripura on a bowling pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Vilander said:

He is desperate for reverse from second spell..even Ishant manages to keep it in good length when going almost full. But yadav searches for that reverse and goes almost half volley or wide..time is running out for him to keep his starting spot. But he will go to sa anyway with shamis hip being what it is. I think Umesh will do better second innings..expect him to pick wickets.

time has run out for him for some time ,but i am happy that ppl like him shami  aaron etc got chance ,they were like pace setters of a race ,maybe better bowlers and results will come in the future

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×