Two simple rules for getting selected in The Friendship Team (Team India)

43 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Well, one doesn't have to watch Duleep trophy matches to know that you have to give chances to youngsters in such low profile home series atleast. Not tried and tested overseas failures just before all the overseas tours start.

It is pretty clear Rohit and Dhawan do not have the technique for overseas tests, then why not try some youngsters in the team?

Because it's better to take them overseas rather than completely destroy a young batsmen's career if they fail in the toughest conditions where our veterans have also struggled. Too much pressure on them to perform and could be seriously detrimental if they fail.

Also are we even in a position to try out youngsters for opening slot? Vijay is coming back from injury and needed game time. Rahul and Dhawan hasn't opened much together. Also I hundred percent disgaree about Rohit not having the technique, his weird shot selection lets him down, technically he's well equipped to bat at number six in tests.

Edited by Unleashed
20 minutes ago, Unleashed said:

Because it's better to take them overseas rather than completely destroy a young batsmen's career if they fail in the toughest conditions where our veterans have also struggled. Too much pressure on them to perform and could be seriously detrimental if they fail.

Also are we even in a position to try out youngsters for opening slot? Vijay is coming back from injury and needed game time. Rahul and Dhawan hasn't opened much together. Also I hundred percent disgaree about Rohit not having the technique, his weird shot selection lets him down, technically he's well equipped to bat at number six in tests.

Better to take tried and tested failures and fail similar to last overseas tours? :facepalm:

Dhawan and Rohit are huge misfits for overseas tests. They have proved that in the past and there is nothing that has changed in their technique to believe they will succeed this time. If you can't see that then there is no use discussing on it.

13 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Better to take tried and tested failures and fail similar to last overseas tours? :facepalm:

Dhawan and Rohit are huge misfits for overseas tests. They have proved that in the past and there is nothing that has changed in their technique to believe they will succeed this time. If you can't see that then there is no use discussing on it.

Dhawan is useless overseas, agreed and that's why it becomes more important to give Vijay and Rahul time as opening partners.

I'll disagree with you about Rohit, but he's anyway not going to be named in our XI. We'll play with 6 batters plus Pandya and 4 bowlers.

17 hours ago, jusarrived said:

So basically all the players who failed and dint make it when he was the captain ? Unless he had a crystal ball how did you expect him to know they will fail without even trying them out ? 

All the players you have mentioned where picked for having a very good Ranji/IPL season and had major backing even here in ICF untill they played for India . By your logic , every player but the ones in the playing 11 now are clueless selections ? Some of them like Ishant are still in the team ?  Some one like VJ was an under achiever in LOIs , I would infact argue he never got enough chances cos we had to accommodate Rohit sharma from the middle order ? Negi was one of the most expensive players in IPL , Badri was averaging 60 in domestic , Tyagi/Gony where/are rated highly by a lot of people even here in ICF ( I think some one was asking for Tyagi being given another shot just last week ) , PK was hardly a clueless pick , Vinay/Aarvind/Dhawal turned out to be domestic bullys , Binny when picked has scored a hundred in Duleep trophy and Ranji and we where desperate for a AR . Sarn ? seriuosly was he really that bad ? 

We lost 6-7 indian greats by 2011 , did you expect all the spots to be filled in by batsmen of Tendulkar/Dravid/Sehwag/VVS and bowlers of Kumble/Zaheer calible in one go ? 

Dhoni had a clear bias of choosing trundlers over fast bowlers. The change in attitude in our test bowling is so obvious

2 hours ago, New guy said:

Dhoni had a clear bias of choosing trundlers over fast bowlers. The change in attitude in our test bowling is so obvious

May be , May be not !!

His preference was Shami , Ishant , BK ..in that order . Still our top 3 bowlers .

I have no idea whats changed now . Yaadav is still garbage and Aaron is still injured/not around . 

14 hours ago, speedheat said:

Its not about any individual, I have nothing against them, you asked me some undeserving players and I listed so, most of them were average and lacked quality and if they were not they would have easily made comeback and would still have been playing, just look at all those trundlerss who made debut under dhoni :facepalm: and just look at paandya under kohli there is a sea of difference in quality, take bhuvi for instance captain  cool kept on taunting him of not being a death bowler and now look at  him under kohli how he developed his pace and death bowling skills and it also don't require crystal balls to identity talents any individual with honesty and  cricketing experience  can do that, an eye for talent which msd clearly was lacking  and was a massive failure in identifying and developing players, people give credits for dhoni for sticking with some successful quality cricketers so he should be equally criticized for preferring some average ones and if you can't then its a clear case of chamcha giri!

Again you are repeating the same . They where found out to be not good enough once they played for India , how does that make them undeserving ? 

what has Virat done to develop Pandya and Bhuvi ? Bhuvi was a very good even back then and I dont even like the way Virat uses Pandya 

And what preference ,when these guys are not in the team ? These "average" players where tried out just like the "sucessfull quality cricketers"  .  Had Virat been dropped after his first few failures  ..I bet he would have made it to your list of Undeserving players . 

7 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Again you are repeating the same . They where found out to be not good enough once they played for India , how does that make them undeserving ? 

what has Virat done to develop Pandya and Bhuvi ? Bhuvi was a very good even back then and I dont even like the way Virat uses Pandya 

And what preference ,when these guys are not in the team ? These "average" players where tried out just like the "sucessfull quality cricketers"  .  Had Virat been dropped after his first few failures  ..I bet he would have made it to your list of Undeserving players . 

Yes, Virat was dropped after 15 ODIs. 

On 24/11/2017 at 9:07 PM, speedheat said:

NO STATS CRUNCHING, iam going to list some ,he didnt back them though as he was exposed

here are some of his clueless selections

Vijay(in Odis in t20s) negi, tyagi, badrinath, gony,Vinay kumaar, Pravin kumaar, srinath the great arvind, ishant sharma, Stuart Binny,dhawal kulkarni, brainder sarn.. Etc. On top of it

He himself was undeserving as a captain :giggle:

Need more proof ? This is Todays thread . 

Clearly , its your won list of players you thought where undeserving  ? Means little . 

Why not Sudeep Tyagi instead of Siddarth Kaul ?

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yes, Virat was dropped after 15 ODIs. 

What if he had never made it back ? would he be undeserving ? I know it makes no sense , but some times players dont get a second chance for lot of reasons ..injury , loss of form and more often some one else has taken his opportunity . 

26 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Dhoni clearly lacked an eye for talent and was biased towards trundlers that was my point, stats do show they were deserving but practically they are not, take Vinny Kumar for eg. Still has good avg in domestics but we all know how good of a bowler he was.

1 minute ago, speedheat said:

Dhoni clearly lacked an eye for talent and was biased towards trundlers that was my point, stats do show they were deserving but practically they are not, take Vinny Kumar for eg. Still has good avg in domestics but we all know how good of a bowler he was.

you seriously think Dhoni was a Vinay fan and kept getting into the team cos Dhoni asked for him ? 

5 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

Rohit sharma reaches an average of 40 in tests now :cheer:

Let us see how many more matches he can hold that average up in 40s from now. 

I do not care what his average is outside India or without West Indies, because every run matter in test cricket no matter what. However, he needs to be consistent and that is a big big issue!!!

Be from Mumbai - Gavaskar will back you up. He will ask for heads of others who are replacing you. Ex. Rahane over KL Rahul

Be a Jatt and Dashing - Captain will back you up as you will be making murga surga in farm party.  

Be Mediocre: You will make done and dusted players look like Golden Eggs. 

Edited by wanted_desi
11 hours ago, jusarrived said:

you seriously think Dhoni was a Vinay fan and kept getting into the team cos Dhoni asked for him ? 

He may or may not be but he always thought bowlers with less pace means accurate bowlers. In one his presentation, he said in Aus last tour in ODIs, we will have to decide whether we want to have bowlers who can bowl fast or go back to medium pace bowlers who can bowl accurately. Why could not they work on to make fast bowler accurate? it is not our medium pacers were McGrath and were not leaking runs.  Medium pacers wont take you anywhere. at least with fast bowlers you can work to get better with accuracy, but TBH, Dhoni never striven to become the leader and build a bowling attack. He just remained a captain all throughout he tenure. 

Edited by rkt.india
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

He may or may not be but he always thought bowlers with less pace means accurate bowlers. In one his presentation, he said in Aus last tour in ODIs, we will have to decide whether we want to have bowlers who can bowl fast or go back to medium pace bowlers who can bowl accurately. Why could not they work on to make fast bowler accurate? it is not our medium pacers were McGrath and were not leaking runs.  Medium pacers wont take you anywhere. at least with fast bowlers you can work to get better with accuracy, but TBH, Dhoni never striven to become the leader and build a bowling attack. He just remained a captain all throughout he tenure. 

Wrong. Medium pacers with accuracy are the reason we have won plenty of games and trophies. So please stop pushing your agenda by distorting the context in what Dhoni mentioned. He emphasized on accuracy/consistency as primary thing in a bowler, irrespective of his pace. That is what he wanted the bowlers to learn and become smarter at. Focus on using their mind over everything else. What is wrong in it? except that it doesnt make you happy. 

And this thing about not being a leader n all. He is the reason why everyone in current team got chances and persisted with them when the times were not in their favour including the best spinners in the world. We would not have got the fastest to 300 wicket bowler or any world class spinner if Dhoni did not persisted with them. Isn't that worthy of being a leader? or is it just that he has to satisfy you with all 150Kph bowlers who just comes and bowl without any thinking.