Was 2-0 loss against SA in 1999-2000 at worst series defeat at home?

That was still competitive. I would say the loss to England at home where their spinners outbowled ours will go down as far worse to me.

We had no business losing that. At least in 1999 South Africa were top team and we kept decling and performing well back and forth in test, but the recent England series in 2013 was the most pinching one. That series hurt more as a fan than 1999 one.

It came under yours truly Dhoni where he experimented with playing 4 spinners in Nagpur test, yes 4 freakin spinners(Jadeja, Ashwin, Chawla, Ojha) wih Ishant Sharma as sole seamer who actually ended up outbowling some spinners.

Anderson, the crap performance he carries when he comes to India and Ishant Sharma on same pitch outbowled all our spinners, yes 4 of them, where we just played one fast bowler and 4 spinners.

We could have leveled the series 2-2 but no we had to play four spinners and gift the series to England for the first time since probabaly Lagaan.

@Cricketics I think by that time (2012) mental scars inflicted by England in test cricket played a great part. 4-0 in 2011 and the margins were just WOW. Since our 1999 tour to Aus we had never been massacred like that by any team, we never recovered from that 2011 tour where we went in as world champs and no 1 test team in the world. Kinda like how Nadal's clay beatdowns esp RG 2008 made Federer lose SW 19 2008 and 2009 AO, he even admitted that recently. Till last year's test series against them I as a fan was genuinely scared of England, I was never scared of the great Aussie team of 1995-2008 !!!!

I am not that bothered by that 1999 SA loss because there was a huge match fixing cloud over Indian team that time with Azhar as captain. If I am not wrong Azhar got caught immediately after the 2nd test and was banned stranded on 99 tests.

Worst defeat for me was the 2004 one because we were made to look like amateurs in that series. Watching Mcgrath and Gillespie block out all our scoring options whole day was like medieval torture. Our famed batting line up was unable to break the shackles, very painful to watch !!!

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Cricketics I think by that time (2012) mental scars inflicted by England in test cricket played a great part. 4-0 in 2011 and the margins were just WOW. Since our 1999 tour to Aus we had never been massacred like that by any team, we never recovered from that 2011 tour where we went in as world champs and no 1 test team in the world. Kinda like how Nadal's clay beatdowns esp RG 2008 made Federer lose SW 19 2008 and 2009 AO, he even admitted that recently. Till last year's test series against them I as a fan was genuinely scared of England, I was never scared of the great Aussie team of 1995-2008 !!!!

8-0 was bad but I feel OP is just pointing about or worst series loss at home. Yes in England we were terrible.

29 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am not that bothered by that 1999 SA loss because there was a huge match fixing cloud over Indian team that time with Azhar as captain. If I am not wrong Azhar got caught immediately after the 2nd test and was banned stranded on 99 tests.

Worst defeat for me was the 2004 one because we were made to look like amateurs in that series. Watching Mcgrath and Gillespie block out all our scoring options whole day was like medieval torture. Our famed batting line up was unable to break the shackles, very painful to watch !!!

That 2004 loss was still against an all time great team. Our batsmen ran into Jason Gillespie at his prime, he was not as fast as he was in the 2001 tour but he evolved into a very complete bowler by 2004.

The worst still is the 2012 loss to England. If it was not for the best test innings played by Kohli at Nagpur, we were losing the series 3-1 - a feat which even the great Australian side could not think of achieving it.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

All teams were losing to Aussies home and away for years. SA was 2nd best team and still lost 5 out of 6 tests to them. Poms managed to 1 tests in each Ashes series at best. 2004 series was bad, but we still had chance to save that 2nd test and the series. That was the time when Sehwag looked like only in form batsman in the team. Dravid was blocked by Aussie pacers with that stump to stump line and he had no answer. Laxman failed in that series. Only bowlers managed to do somewhat better.

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

That was still competitive. I would say the loss to England at home where their spinners outbowled ours will go down as far worse to me.

We had no business losing that. At least in 1999 South Africa were top team and we kept decling and performing well back and forth in test, but the recent England series in 2013 was the most pinching one. That series hurt more as a fan than 1999 one.

It came under yours truly Dhoni where he experimented with playing 4 spinners in Nagpur test, yes 4 freakin spinners(Jadeja, Ashwin, Chawla, Ojha) wih Ishant Sharma as sole seamer who actually ended up outbowling some spinners.

Anderson, the crap performance he carries when he comes to India and Ishant Sharma on same pitch outbowled all our spinners, yes 4 of them, where we just played one fast bowler and 4 spinners.

We could have leveled the series 2-2 but no we had to play four spinners and gift the series to England for the first time since probabaly Lagaan.

2012 was weird obsession with turners. Dhoni after losing away tours 8-0, just went crazy and started  calling out for rank turners. We won first test on a slow turner of Ahmedabad and still that didn't stop him from criticizing the pitch when in fact pitches with little help for spinners are best for us as it keeps our spinners in play and allows our batsman to score. 

We ended losing 2 tests on turners and produced shocker pitch at Nagpur was a nightmare for both bowlers and batsman. 

England's tour of India in 2012 is the worst series defeat at home for me. 

After winning the 1st test in Ahmedabad the team could have carried the momentum forward, but due to stupid selections as mentioned by @Cricketics we ended up losing it. 

Even though India had a chance to make it 2 all at Nagpur, the Indians were out of steam by then. Their spinners Monty and Swann were bowling well in tandem. English batsmen hit our bowlers to all parts and Sachin, Gambhir, Sehwag, Bhajji, Yuvi, Zaheer, MS all of them flopping together. More than half of the side :frown:. MS played Mumbai and Kolkata tests with almost same playing eleven.

We won 3 tosses but still couldn't dictate the game. Simply pathetic. No logic, no tactics shown by Indian team management. 

6 hours ago, Cricketics said:

That was a dead pitch in Nagpur. Ball was barely rising knee height

18 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

That was a dead pitch in Nagpur. Ball was barely rising knee height

Still will have variety, 4 spinners is ridiculous and then asking for it is even more ridiculous, whoever did that. 

When you play 4 spinners, especially on what you are calling a dead wicket,  batsman easily gets used to the bowling and knows anything on the wicket got to be defended. You got to bring variety to make batsman play shots and make them give away wicket.

43 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Still will have variety, 4 spinners is ridiculous and then asking for it is even more ridiculous, whoever did that. 

When you play 4 spinners, especially on what you are calling a dead wicket,  batsman easily gets used to the bowling and knows anything on the wicket got to be defended. You got to bring variety to make batsman play shots and make them give away wicket.

there was nothing in that for pacers.

Worst was clearly the england one because we surrendered a lead meekly and gave up the series without a fight,it was just pathetic to see our superstars struggling against a not so great side.

Australia defeat in 2004 was also poor,we were in shambles at that time with no batsmen in form and the most disappointing thing was the washout of the final day in Chennai (219 we could have chased)

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Thats why Anderson and Ishant got 4 and 3 wickets each respectively in the first innings. 

i watched that game and i know what i am saying. someone has to get wickets, luckily they got them. there was nothing for the spinners too. that was the kind of pitch, hard to score but hard to pick wickets too.