Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
maniac

Steve Smith hands down is the best batsman in the world

Recommended Posts

Even in odis he is clutch,can't forget his innings in quarters,semis and then finals,he is just remarkable.His performances everywhere he plays puts him in the level of all time greatness.

 

And none gives a fcuk about T20s or T20Is batting

Share this post


Link to post

He has been best for a while for a long time in test, way ahead of Root and surely ahead of Kohli. Kohli is not even India’s best Test bat yet since he just reached 50 average.

 

Smith’s average will drop down massively but not for next two years, he is playing really well at this time or I should say he is putting price on his wicket the most and showing great temperament. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

He is way better than anyone in Test Matches where as in ODI he is quite underrated. 65 in tough chase in QF, 105 in semifinal to set up game and 56* to take team home wasn't easy by any means.

 

Where as greatest ODI batsman in the world was bounced out scoring 1 run off 13 balls, killing all the momentum openers set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

do you make a contrarian point just for the sake of it ?

I call it as I see it. I am always troubled by people calling someone whol lot better than others when I dont see it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Average difference of 10 is significant. 

I assume you meant test. Once again I think the 10 differntial you are talking about is the average which to me does not mean much as I dont agree with averages done in cricket. Like I said he is real good but I am not about to proclaim him the king. In test without detail analysis I cannot say for sure who is better. In T20 I feel he is better than Kohli.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

so so you are saying kohli is better,if yes how ?

I never said that. I am saying you are splitting hairs decalring Smith is head and shoulder above Kohli. Like I said in T20 i have no doubt he is better but the context was tests.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Khota said:

I never said that. I am saying you are splitting hairs decalring Smith is head and shoulder above Kohli. Like I said in T20 i have no doubt he is better but the context was tests.

being better in t20s doesnt make one a better batsman atleast for me,kohli is quite elegant and am his big fan but he is nowhere near Smith at the moment

add to his test exploits,he has atleast two memorable world cup knocks already 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Khota said:

I assume you meant test. Once again I think the 10 differntial you are talking about is the average which to me does not mean much as I dont agree with averages done in cricket. Like I said he is real good but I am not about to proclaim him the king. In test without detail analysis I cannot say for sure who is better. In T20 I feel he is better than Kohli.

Average doesn't mean much to me too, but it is one factor that is used in comparison because it is hard for someone to know too much unless they have seen a lot of batting of both.  Smith batting displays a man who is sure of himself, what he needs to do to put his team in winning situation. Pujara takes up the same role for India in Asian Conditions. Without him, India would have lost a home series to a weak Australian Team. Without Smith, Australia would be losing home series as well.  Where as Kohli is a great batsman, but he doesn't give you feeling of security. He might show brilliance here and there, but on every normal day, you can't be sure that he has in him to get the team to a fighting total. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Turning_track said:

Getting into the national side primarily as a bowler to being one of the the best batsman in the world and finding his name among Sir Don, Hutton, Hobbs, Ponting . What a turnaround. :bow:

 

Leg spin was just a way to get into the Australian. His focus was always batting.  He just pretended to be a leg spinner, but his goal always was to play as a batsman. 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

being better in t20s doesnt make one a better batsman atleast for me,kohli is quite elegant and am his big fan but he is nowhere near Smith at the moment

add to his test exploits,he has atleast two memorable world cup knocks already 

For me anyone who can do it in T20 consistently is a damn good batsman. T20 is the ultimate format for me.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Average doesn't mean much to me too, but it is one factor that is used in comparison because it is hard for someone to know too much unless they have seen a lot of batting of both.  Smith batting displays a man who is sure of himself, what he needs to do to put his team in winning situation. Pujara takes up the same role for India in Asian Conditions. Without him, India would have lost a home series to a weak Australian Team. Without Smith, Australia would be losing home series as well.  Where as Kohli is a great batsman, but he doesn't give you feeling of security. He might show brilliance here and there, but on every normal day, you can't be sure that he has in him to get the team to a fighting total. 

Let me rephrase it smith and kohli are 1(a) and 1(b). Overall I would take Smith over Kohli but give me Kohli as aa player then I would not complaint either. I know I come across as someone who cannot make his mind up but that is the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Khota said:

For me anyone who can do it in T20 consistently is a damn good batsman. T20 is the ultimate format for me.

ok but for me t20s is about impact rather than averages ,i may be in minority but i ll pick chris lynn in my side before kohli ,not taking anything away from kohli ,he is a wonderful t20 batsman but thats just my opinion its hard to define great batsman in t20s,may be a batsman who scores 30 in 10 balls more consistently is greater :thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

ok but for me t20s is about impact rather than averages ,i may be in minority but i ll pick chris lynn in my side before kohli ,not taking anything away from kohli ,he is a wonderful t20 batsman but thats just my opinion its hard to define great batsman in t20s,may be a batsman who scores 30 in 10 balls more consistently is greater :thinking:

To me T20 is about getting your timing right from ball one. No delivery to waste but a random batsman may have a good day here and there but a good batsman will have great days more frequently. You really have to be able to see the ball(if at all that is possible). Hallmark of a great batsman is the one who has the most time to hit the ball. In other words the game is really slow for him.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Kohli is better in two formats. Smith in one.

ODI debatable. Whilst Kohli specializes in average boosting in inconsequential matches Smith delivers in important matches. Kohli is a mental midget, Smith is not.

 

T20 definitely Kohli is GOAT, Smith is mediocre.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

ODI debatable. Whilst Kohli specializes in average boosting in inconsequential matches Smith delivers in important matches. Kohli is a mental midget, Smith is not.

 

T20 definitely Kohli is GOAT, Smith is mediocre.

Smith did not have to play against his own bowling attack which is arguably the best in the world. England batted 145 overs and scored 330 runs, not because of great bowling but because the pitch was pathetic. They relaid that pitch later.

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, adi B said:

Without  a doubt he's the best in test  but kohli 's avg of 50 (which is 10 behind Smith's 60) is due to him playing a bit more on tough pitches (more greentops and more rank turners) 

That theory was already debunked in Aus tour to India where Smith scored 3 centuries against top 2 spinners of world while Kohli struggled to put bat to ball.

Share this post


Link to post

Agree. Smith is really on top of the game right now. Best Test player around by far. What a turnaround for a player who was actually picked as a bowler. Legendary transformation.

Smith won his team an ODI WC with batting as well. Virat can surpass him once he outperforms everyone in the next WC with match winning innings in a Final. Till then, have to give my hat to Smith. He has delivered for his team in all crucial moments. True no. 1

Share this post


Link to post

Test

Smith>root>kohli>warner>williamson

One day

Kohli>warner>smith>root>williamson

T20

Kohli>warner>smith>root>williamson

 

Overall 

Smith>Kohli>WARNER>Root>williamson

 

Its pity the ABD is not regularly playing all formats other wise he would hv made the mockery of abv comparisons. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

Kohli easily best white ball player . Maybe best ever 

 

these runs smith just scored don’t count as home conditions . When ever Indian scores runs or take wickets in India it’s dismissed . So I dismiss these runs with same ease 

Agree with this premise- especially since Aussie wickets are quite flat too, anyone making runs in aus conditions can not sit on a high horse relative to batsmen who regularly play Indian conditions

Share this post


Link to post

Because of the fact that test carries the most weightage , Smith is the best.Having said that  ABDV,Virat,Root &Amla are not far behind when all formats together are taken into account.

 

One thing that goes against Smith is that he is one of the least pleasing to the eyes.

 

 

Edited by rtmohanlal

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Agree with this premise- especially since Aussie wickets are quite flat too, anyone making runs in aus conditions can not sit on a high horse relative to batsmen who regularly play Indian conditions

But Smith scored more 100s in this year's India series than the entire Indian team combined. Kohli proved that he sucks not just only against swing, he is equally useless when the ball spins sharply (remember 2015 SA series also). Same Smith has scored runs everywhere, in England what he scored in 1 series, Kohli will take another 2 tours to come anywhere close to that tally.

Share this post


Link to post

Quite easily in tests. And to think i thought of him as an inferior version of Cameron White back in 2010 lol. Ponting after playing a 100 tests or so was averaging 60 before he declined sharply. Let's see how far Smith can go. His hand eye coordination will start declining in a couple of years and he doesn't really have a great technique to fall back on so i expect it to come back to around 50ish.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Quite easily in tests. And to think i thought of him as an inferior version of Cameron White back in 2010 lol. Ponting after playing a 100 tests or so was averaging 60 before he declined sharply. Let's see how far Smith can go. His hand eye coordination will start declining in a couple of years and he doesn't really have a great technique to fall back on so i expect it to come back to around 50ish.

 ponting used to push at the ball and bowlers exploited that ,also his big front foot stride slowed him down with age,smith doesnt push at the ball and plays off the back foot.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×