BOOKED FOR GOING 50KM/HR OVER ON 407 - TORONTO

Pak_cric

So...yea i got booked for going at 157km/hr on a 100km/hr highway.....407 in toronto. Anyone got advice? I got my license suspended for 7 days and my car impounded for 7 days. Got summoned to go to court on dec 22nd with possible penalties that are very harsh and even include a 6 month jail sentence if convicted along with $2000-$10000 fine and 2 years license suspension. Not to mention the insurance premiums.  I am hiring a paralegal to represent me in court. They can do 2 things - 1) get rid of the charge (highly unlikely).  -2) reduce the penalty to 149 km/h which reduces the charge to speeding instead of stunt driving. Still costs me 4 demerit points but way better then the stunt driving charge. Not sure if anyone has gone through the same thing on ICF. I don't normally go at these speeds, this was a rare occasion and ofcourse I messed up. 

WTF that is harsh for just speeding...are you telling us the entire story OP?

I was in a friend’s car once when he got pulled over....he was pulled over for speeding and breaking a read light. 

Now on top of that this idiot was driving around with an expired license  plate from out of state even though thankfully he did register his vehicle but was too lazy to change the license plate on the car...can’t beat that.

Now the cop was pissed and forced him to find a way to change the plates then and there and gave him a hefty fine and also points on his lisence(which means usually if you accumulate that and are a repeat offender then you get to a level what OP has described). This was when there were 3 offenses in one shot...and that too the speeding and redlight was in a kind of a residential area.

Either laws in Canada are way more stricter or “just speeding” was not the only reason.

No offense but what you described sounds like a DUI.

Edited by maniac

23 minutes ago, maniac said:

I was in a friend’s car once when he got pulled over....he was pulled over for speeding and breaking a read light. 

Now on top of that this idiot was driving around with an expired license  plate from out of state even though thankfully he did register his vehicle but was too lazy to change the license plate on the car...can’t beat that.

Now the cop was pissed and forced him to find a way to change the plates then and there and gave him a hefty fine and also points on his lisence(which means usually if you accumulate that and are a repeat offender then you get to a level what OP has described). This was when there were 3 offenses in one shot...and that too the speeding and redlight was in a kind of a residential area.

Either laws in Canada are way more stricter or “just speeding” was not the only reason.

Laws in Ontario are strict if you are going 50km/hr over the speed limit. Else its just a normal speeding ticket. I was going 57km/hr more, which I know was stupid of me. 

as per the law:

"In Ontario, as of September 2007, drivers caught speeding 50 km/h over the posted speed limit may have the vehicle that they are driving impounded immediately for 7 days and their license suspended for 7 days and have to appear before the court. For a first conviction, they face an additional $2,000-$10,000 fine and 6 demerit points; they may also face up to 6 months in jail and "licence suspension of up to two years. For a second conviction within 10 years of the first conviction, their license may be suspended for up to 10 years"

Edited by Pak_cric

13 hours ago, Pak_cric said:

So...yea i got booked for going at 157km/hr on a 100km/hr highway.....407 in toronto. Anyone got advice? I got my license suspended for 7 days and my car impounded for 7 days. Got summoned to go to court on dec 22nd with possible penalties that are very harsh and even include a 6 month jail sentence if convicted along with $2000-$10000 fine and 2 years license suspension. Not to mention the insurance premiums.  I am hiring a paralegal to represent me in court. They can do 2 things - 1) get rid of the charge (highly unlikely).  -2) reduce the penalty to 149 km/h which reduces the charge to speeding instead of stunt driving. Still costs me 4 demerit points but way better then the stunt driving charge. Not sure if anyone has gone through the same thing on ICF. I don't normally go at these speeds, this was a rare occasion and ofcourse I messed up. 

Be polite in court, accept whatever is said. The judge will usually be lenient on first time offenders unless they act cocky. Dress neatly, use formal language. Follow your paralegal's advice 

I got a speeding ticket for going 77 in a 65. And the cop told me that he reduced the speed to 75 so I can save some money. Lol yeah right. I was driving a rental in a different state but same states license plates but because of nervousness I had told the cop I was living in current state but never registered. So I got a speeding ticket, out of state ticket and then on top of that, my original state NJ added on a ticket because i got a ticket outside NJ.

So I paid $134 for speeding, $314 for not registering, and then NJ charged me $300 for 3 years. I paid $100 last year, $200 still remaining.

God I hate state troopers. 

10 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I would make a sad story of how you struggled against the odds in life. Trolling aside maybe highlight you dont have anything else against your name?

but to be honest i seems you have done what you could.

yes, seems like its upto my paralegal now. 

19 hours ago, maniac said:

its the 401. most used highway in Canada by a country mile.  Especially the stretch between Burlington and Ajax is like gridlock. I left Ontario in 2002. So it was back then. Imagine now. 

Even when its not gridlock, it is the most heavily patrolled road in Canada. Again, by a huge,huge distance. 
Canadian laws are vindictive in 'irresponsible and potentially dangerous' behaviour but ultra-light on 'actually dangerous behaviour'. 

So simple rule of thumb is, don't speed in Canada where you will get caught. If you do, don't go over 50kmph over the speed limit or charges of 'stunt driving' will apply. 

50kmph is ridiculously over limit. Whatever fine you get, you should consider yourself lucky that you are safe and so are the others who were on the streets. Next time dont drive over limit for rests of your life and the purpose is served. 

I had few tickets in my first 5 years, 40mph in 25, 75mph in 65, jumped Red light once, followed to closely and bumped the car and also taken a wrong turn once. My last ticket was 70mph in 60 in TX. That was in 2011.

I typically drive @ 75-80  in 65-70 limit. I was let go 3 times. Last time he saw my driving history and let me go. Good habits pay off. If they let go someone like you then there wont be any value of drivers like us.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:42 PM, Pak_cric said:

but dude why the f did you do 157k in 407 ?, you can safely do 120-135 no one bothers you.

https://www.xcopper.com/

On 11/26/2017 at 5:26 AM, Muloghonto said:

its the 401. most used highway in Canada by a country mile.  Especially the stretch between Burlington and Ajax is like gridlock. I left Ontario in 2002. So it was back then. Imagine now. 

Even when its not gridlock, it is the most heavily patrolled road in Canada. Again, by a huge,huge distance. 
Canadian laws are vindictive in 'irresponsible and potentially dangerous' behaviour but ultra-light on 'actually dangerous behaviour'. 

So simple rule of thumb is, don't speed in Canada where you will get caught. If you do, don't go over 50kmph over the speed limit or charges of 'stunt driving' will apply. 

which province do you live in currently, if I may ask! I though you were living in GTA all this time!

2 hours ago, sarcastic said:

which province do you live in currently, if I may ask! I though you were living in GTA all this time!

BC

Aka the super duper hippie-dippie province of techies, movie people and a bunch of idiots who think they are helping the world by blocking oil pipelines.