Murali Vijay is the best opening Test batsmen in the world currently?

gakgupta

Well...

Considering all the conditions, <home and away>.....isn't he the best opening test batsmen right now? He plays pace and spin with the same audacity....

Even-thought, ICC rankings would show Warner....but i think he is little edgy in sub-continent conditions....

Cook has withered away

Stoneman looks good but he just started his career...

Rainshow is better of all, considering all the conditions, but he is not even in the playing IX...moreover, he has to show that consistency over the period of time...

Dhawan is a hack and should not be compared at all

KL Rahul has to play in certain conditions and has to show his talent..

Tamim is good but he is behind Vijay...

He was the world's best opening batsman in the 2013-15 period, but is not the best anymore. Still a very good player who is kinda under rated, but until he can get more consistent it will be difficult to call him the best. He has all the tools: superb defence, great leaving technique, strokeplay, patience, temperament, guts etc. If he can get more consistent I see no reason why he can't establish himself as the world's best once again. Remember he was carrying a serious injury in the 2016 season, let's hope we get a fully fit Vijay the next 3 years because he ain't getting younger !!! If he has 3 good away tours (3 out of these 4: SA, Eng, Aus, NZ) not only will you see the Indian team create history but also see the 2nd greatest Indian opener after Gavaskar.

No disrespect to Sehwag but if Vijay can finish with a career average of 42+ and help us win overseas series' he is ahead of Viru the test batsman in my books. Let us pray he does that else we are going to get creamed overseas. The present middle order isn't anywhere close to that of the Fab 4 era (Dravid-SRT-VVS-Ganguly) that salvaged many hopeless starts in the 2000s overseas. If Kohli's team gets bad starts consistently, things will get very ugly.

Edited by Gollum
4 hours ago, Gollum said:

He was the world's best opening batsman in the 2013-15 period, but is not the best anymore. Still a very good player who is kinda under rated, but until he can get more consistent it will be difficult to call him the best. He has all the tools: superb defence, great leaving technique, strokeplay, patience, temperament, guts etc. If he can get more consistent I see no reason why he can't establish himself as the world's best once again. Remember he was carrying a serious injury in the 2016 season, let's hope we get a fully fit Vijay the next 3 years because he ain't getting younger !!! If he has 3 good away tours (3 out of these 4: SA, Eng, Aus, NZ) not only will you see the Indian team create history but also see the 2nd greatest Indian opener after Gavaskar.

No disrespect to Sehwag but if Vijay can finish with a career average of 42+ and help us win overseas series' he is ahead of Viru the test batsman in my books. Let us pray he does that else we are going to get creamed overseas. The present middle order isn't anywhere close to that of the Fab 4 era (Dravid-SRT-VVS-Ganguly) that salvaged many hopeless starts in the 2000s overseas. If Kohli's team gets bad starts consistently, things will get very ugly.

Totally agree...

He is the only saving grace in our previous Eng and Australia tours

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Viru is right after SMG. Vijay can never displace Viru I feel.

Overseas tours will prove that. At home everyone is scoring. Even Dhawan scored at home.  

Talking about the best, KL Rahul, Azhar Ali, and Dean Elgar have been better openers in the last few years. Vijay has kind of declined even if he might be better than Dhawan overall. 

Rahul has gone from strenngth to strength and was solid during the tough series against Australi at home.

Vijay the kind of batsman he is now will always look solid whenever he plays on placid tracks like he did yesterday. Rahul is right up there though he needs to learn to be more solid as overseas swing is coming and if he can replicate what Vijay did for us in places like Adelaide few years ago, then we might be in good hands.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:18 AM, Gollum said:

sehwag may have been an FTB/HTB but I'd still pick him over Vijay. Once Sehwag's hand-eye coordination dipped, his form dropped drastically. Prior to that, he was brilliant in SC and so-so away. Vijay is far too inconsistent to be considered a top opening bat. He's below Sunny and Viru, but better than Siddhu and co.

Edited by Vijy
On 11/25/2017 at 1:37 PM, Cricketics said:

Overseas tours will prove that. At home everyone is scoring. Even Dhawan scored at home.  

Talking about the best, KL Rahul, Azhar Ali, and Dean Elgar have been better openers in the last few years. Vijay has kind of declined even if he might be better than Dhawan overall. 

Rahul has gone from strenngth to strength and was solid during the tough series against Australi at home.

Vijay the kind of batsman he is now will always look solid whenever he plays on placid tracks like he did yesterday. Rahul is right up there though he needs to learn to be more solid as overseas swing is coming and if he can replicate what Vijay did for us in places like Adelaide few years ago, then we might be in good hands.

One of the very reason MV is rated is because of his overseas performance not for his home performance. 

26 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

One of the very reason MV is rated is because of his overseas performance not for his home performance. 

That is true, and hence I want him to start, but like I said, on such placid tricks and with such poor bowling, Murali will always be extremely hard to get out, because he is a very organized batsmen compared to a guy like Dhawan or Rahul.  However, how he does again during this season of overseas swing only time will tell since we will be facing quality bowling and Vijay might have regressed as a batsman as his average suggests since the last overseas tours of South Africa and Australia. This is also true for guys like Rahane. Rahane has had a decline at home, but they all must start overseas for sure as they have been rock solid for us where it matters the most. 

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

sehwag may have been an FTB/HTB but I'd still pick him over Vijay. Once Sehwag's hand-eye coordination dipped, his form dropped drastically. Prior to that, he was brilliant in SC and so-so away. Vijay is far too inconsistent to be considered a top opening bat. He's below Sunny and Viru, but better than Siddhu and co.

Hypothetically If Vijay scores 400+ runs in Eng/Aus again and 250-300 in SA helping us win a couple of overseas series', will your opinion change? For me if anyone helps us win our 1st series in Aus/SA or a 5 test series in Eng, I will rate that player very highly.

13 hours ago, Gollum said:

Hypothetically If Vijay scores 400+ runs in Eng/Aus again and 250-300 in SA helping us win a couple of overseas series', will your opinion change? For me if anyone helps us win our 1st series in Aus/SA or a 5 test series in Eng, I will rate that player very highly.

Yes, I would. if we win a series where his contribution was major, I would certainly bump him above Viru.

Murli Vijay is the best opener in India on tough overseas conditions. If India has to do well in South Africa, he, alongwith his opening partner should see off the new ball and blunt the South African new ball attack. If he (with his opening partner, whoever it is) succeeds in that then I am cautiously optimistic about Indian chances in South Africa.

A being better than B, B being better than C, all these arguments are academic in nature. A team has to do the best with the resources one has. Murli Vijay may not be "better" than Sehwag (as asserted by someone) but that does not mean that one will drag Sehwag from his commentary box and put him in the playing XI instead of Murli Vijay. Murli Vijay is the best opener that India has at present for tough overseas conditions. I have high hopes that he will shine in South Africa.