Sachin Tendulkar vs Steve Smith - Comparative Analysis

jalebi_bhai

Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?

• Sachin Tendulkar
    • SPD Smith

a  comparison of worth less stats. Reasons ..... Sachin started from the age of 16 years & 7 months( a rookie) .Naturally you wouldn't expect him to fire all guns blazing straight away.In the 2nd phase from 1993 jan 29  - 2011 apr where Sachin peaked  he scored 13534 runs @ 59.35 avg: .After that, in his last 23 tests where he unnecessarily dragged too much he was paltry.So it is the 2nd phase that really counts........an avg: of 59.35  scoring 13534 runs.This 13534 runs is still greater than  the 2nd best tally of Ponting's.And the best

bowlers Sachin faced during this phase were Ambrose,Mcgrath,Donald,Steyn,Murali,Wasim,Waqar,Pollock,Walsh Warne & Bishop,all sub  25 avg:ing bowlers with great to adequate longevity factor.

And the amount of pressure Sachin had to cope with was beyond compare.Add to that Sachin was one of the most pleasing to the eyes

and Smith is exactly the  opposite.For these 2 factors alone I would attach an avg: of 4. So for me personally, let Smith score 13534 runs first  at an avg: of  around 68.5.Then only there is even a chance for comparison.

They were comparing a hell of a lot of players to SRT (not counting Lara) and I'll say the same thing I've been saying for more than a decade. 

He (insert name) may well exceed SRT, but we'll see, because in the interim:

Bahut aaye, bahut gaye.

Also sirjee, a while ago they were saying Alistair Cook would surpass SRT.

So, sirjee,  Bahut aaye, bahut gaye, and in the meanwhile bassshhht of kismat to the latest maestro.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

One of the greatest levels of batting ever seen, esp considering the fact that he was a 16 year old boy in 1989. His stats took a hit in the 1st 2-3 years but then shot up from 1991-92 onwards. I don't see any batsman from the current era having an average of 50 in that 7-8 year period, the defense seems to be missing among modern day batsmen.

How do you think all the batsmen have weaker defence these days ? 

The amount of T20 cricket these batsmen play growing up its unrealestic to expect them to have a very strong defence . Had the likes of Lara , Tendulkar , Dravid and Ponting been brought up in the current era , you think it would have been any different ? 

its all about being adaptive , the batsmen back then played on diffiuclt pitches more often so the adjustments they had to make was relatively very less , unlike these days where they play 95% of time on flat surfaces its not surprising they struggle when they are suddenly exposed to a green/spin friendly pitch .

On the other hand , give batsmen of 90s a flat pitch and ask them to to score 400 runs in a day they will struggle . The game has evolved with more stress on stroke making  , so have the batsmen but that dosent make them in any way inferior to players from 90s or 80s . 

Every other sport the skill levels have improved over the years , with players getting stronger and fitter and better training facilities/approach , I dont know why would  fans think its any different for cricket . 

Sachin main problem was lack of daddy hundreds and daddy series where he scored bucketful.It took him a decade for him to score his first double hundreds.Sachin in my book is massively has under achieved.

This quality people keep talking about he rarely played Pakistan when Ws were at their peak and he played one series with Ambrose and Walsh together.It is is not his fault that he did not face them more often like it is not Smith's fault that he is not playing so called great bowlers.

I don't think we have seen anyone even come close to consistency this guy has shown in tests, bowlers are running out of ideas on how to dismiss this guy. England tried everything yet could not even beat his bat.It is almost impossible to get him out in flat conditions, you have a chance in spinning, seam/swing conditions.

If he has another couple of years like this he will end up a second best Australian batsman after Bradman.

29 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

He is solidly marching towards SRT/Lara territory.

Needs longevity and maybe some runs in pure swing conditions.

His impact quotient is higher than SRT/Lara anyway.

Long way to go.

Welcome back bro, you hardly post here these days.

I am assuming you are talking about test cricket, his impact quotient is more because of his team's bowling unit which generally finishes the job. Still in that regard he hasn't surpassed Lara.

He is undoubtedly the best of the post 2010 era (far far far ahead of Root/Kohli/KW) but considering the bowlers these days and the Aussie pitches he has to show more. Even FTB Kohli and Pakistani batsmen scored in the Aussie pitches, Taylor got 294 in Perth etc etc. I know Smith did very well in India and England but can he sustain his overseas record for at least another 6 years with his weird ass technique? He may well surpass Kallis, Dravid, Ponting, Sanga but Lara-SRT are a whole different level.

Edited by Gollum

Smith has terrible record in Bangladesh a stain which always visible 

mediocre record in England as well so can’t play swing very well

also mediocre stuff in uae on some of flattest tracks made my mankind ( only Sri Lankan Bowlers seem To know how to exploit )

his stats massively infkated by hike record of average of 70 plus 

@King Tendulkar He has 2 100s and a double in England, got more than 500 runs in the 2015 Ashes. Kohli will need 10 lifetimes to do that :giggle:.

And who cares about Bangladeshi minnows, he isn't a vulture like Sachin or Sanga who both used Bangladesh to inflate their averages. In fact it is admirable that he fires against the top teams and leaves the minnows for his less illustrious compatriots to feed upon.

UAE played only 2 tests and got a 97 and 55, hardly embarrassing. He proved his ability against spin earlier this year outscoring half our top order combined. Kohli was made to look like a novice before the Aussie King, deal with it :phehe:.

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@King Tendulkar He has 2 100s and a double in England, got more than 500 runs in the 2015 Ashes. Kohli will need 10 lifetimes to do that :giggle:.

And who cares about Bangladeshi minnows, he isn't a vulture like Sachin or Sanga who both used Bangladesh to inflate their averages. In fact it is admirable that he fires against the top teams and leaves the minnows for his less illustrious compatriots to feed upon.

UAE played only 2 tests and got a 97 and 55, hardly embarrassing. He proved his ability against spin earlier this year outscoring half our top order combined. Kohli was made to look like a novice before the Aussie King, deal with it :phehe:.

O I see you excuse his very mediocre record in 4 countries , 3 of them Asian. Massive sample size that 3 countries in Asia and one in England 

glaring obvious . Great at home . Away from home is no better then a ganguly 

Edited by King Tendulkar
5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Why does Sachin get pass just because he made his debut at 16, it is not Smith's fault. Wow two fricking tests in Bangladesh people are finding faults.

Well add on uae and Sri Lanka !! 

Kohli gets lashed for 4 tests ( one series ) why not use same yard sticks for smith ?

srt bosses smith away from home by the way 

smiths 76 average at home is muddying waters . Another Jayawardene?

Edited by King Tendulkar
Just now, King Tendulkar said:

Well add on uae and Sri Lanka !! 

Kohli gets lashed for 4 tests ( one series ) why not use same yard sticks for smith ?

srt bosses smith away from home by the way 

smiths 76 average away from home is muddying waters . Another Jayawardene?

No he is not, he has done fine is SL and UAE where he has already scored a hundred and 97.

Smith is carrying his team on his back and doing very well. 21 hundreds and 21 fifties in 105 innings is not a joke, it literally means he is scoring at least one fifty per test which is mind boggling.