Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jalebi_bhai

Sachin Tendulkar vs Steve Smith - Comparative Analysis

Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?  

58 members have voted

  1. 1. Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?

    • Sachin Tendulkar
      37
    • SPD Smith
      21


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

How many ATG bowlers has Smith faced till now? No doubt he is the best atm but not in the class of Sachin and Lara of the 90s.

Steyn, Anderson, Ashwin (will be an ATG in tests by the time he is done), Herath (ATG in SC)....at a stretch maybe Harbhajan.

 

Why do you ask? It's not like Smith picks his opponents. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Steyn, Anderson, Ashwin (will be an ATG in tests by the time he is done), Herath (ATG in SC)....at a stretch maybe Harbhajan.

 

Why do you ask? It's not like Smith picks his opponents. 

Mcgrath, Warne, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Imran, Waqar, bottle caps, blades, Qadir, Hadlee, Donald, Pollock, Murali.....pretty sure I am forgetting a few more.

 

It matters otherwise you might well say Samaraweera>De Silva

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Mcgrath, Warne, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Imran, Waqar, bottle caps, blades, Qadir, Hadlee, Donald, Pollock, Murali.....pretty sure I am forgetting a few more.

 

It matters otherwise you might well say Samaraweera>De Silva

Smith averages 10 more runs/innings than Tendulkar after 57 tests. Factoring in the ATG factor, what would be the actual difference in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Gollum said:

How many ATG bowlers has Smith faced till now? No doubt he is the best atm but not in the class of Sachin and Lara of the 90s.

Smith has faced the best of the best of his era. Its not like Smith is being brutally exposed by all these players and its not like all greats like Kallis, SRT, Dravid and Ponting scored runs against every bowler day in day out.

 

Smith for example has faced Ashwin and Jadeja who are best spinners currently and no team, yes no team since 2012 England series win in India has been able to handle these two spinners. Now they might not be as great as Mcgrath, Ambrose, Walsh etc in terms of name but they do provide true test of character for a batsman. 

 

So when a modern player score runs, his efforts shouldn’t be always ignored. It is always in bad taste to right off moder batsmen’s effort with “how many great bowlers he scorer against.”

 

SRT is legend but Smith is a champion who is on his way to breaking many records. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Smith averages 10 more runs/innings than Tendulkar after 57 tests. Factoring in the ATG factor, what would be the actual difference in your opinion?

I believe modern batsmen would struggle in the 80s and 90s. They would do better in 70s and thrive in 2000s, 60s, 50s etc. There is a reason why only 4 batsmen averaged above 50 in the 80s (Gavaskar, Viv, Miandad, Border) and only 3 in 1990s (Sachin, Lara, Steve Waugh). I can't predict how much Smith would average in those decades but I don't rate him higher than any of those 7 bar Miandad. He has too many technical shortcomings to thrive in that era, he would still do well but not that well.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, New guy said:

Don't forget the overall increase in test scores, pitches, etc

Ya also don’t forget the amount of cricket being played today and the fitness which is needed in todays game with so many formats compared to past era where twenty20 wasn’t a thing and cricket wasn’t played as much.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Cricketics I never downplayed Smith, I believe he is a champion. Just because I don't agree that he is better than Sachin, Lara, Viv, Gavaskar doesn't mean I am ridiculing him. I also rate Aravinda De Silva as better than Thialan Samaraweera, am I downplaying the latter? Just my opinion.

I don’t think I am going to compare and say he is better than Sachin since Smith hasn’t retired yet or is close to retiring

 He is half way into his career and has a long way to go. But it is fair to say that he has done well and better at this point if compared to what SRT did uptill this point. That is whst OP stats are showing also. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

I don’t think I am going to compare and say he is better than Sachin since Smith hasn’t retired yet or is close to retiring

 He is half way into his career and has a long way to go. But it is fair to say that he has done well and better at this point if compared to what SRT did uptill this point. That is whst OP stats are showing also. 

 

 

 

 

OK but then OP's argument should also apply to Ashwin and Jadeja. Both are better than Warne at this point of their careers. Root is better than Sir Viv Richards at this point of his career, Pujara better than Alan Border, Warner better than Haynes/Greenidge, Philander better A/R than Kapil Dev etc etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

OK but then OP's argument should also apply to Ashwin and Jadeja. Both are better than Warne at this point of their careers. Root is better than Sir Viv Richards at this point of his career, Pujara better than Alan Border, Warner better than Haynes/Greenidge, Philander better A/R than Kapil Dev etc etc. 

His thread is about a player who is considered god here and most liked player against someone who is currently having a crazy run with an average of 60 some. I don’t think there is anything wrong to have a discussion on this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

OK but then OP's argument should also apply to Ashwin and Jadeja. Both are better than Warne at this point of their careers. Root is better than Sir Viv Richards at this point of his career, Pujara better than Alan Border, Warner better than Haynes/Greenidge, Philander better A/R than Kapil Dev etc etc. 

Bhai, let's stick to the thread topic. 

 

In the interest of fairness, how would you quantify SRT's average of 51.23 from 89-97 as per today's standards? 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, jalebi_bhai said:

Bhai, let's stick to the thread topic. 

 

In the interest of fairness, how would you quantify SRT's average of 51.23 from 89-97 in tests? 

One of the greatest levels of batting ever seen, esp considering the fact that he was a 16 year old boy in 1989. His stats took a hit in the 1st 2-3 years but then shot up from 1991-92 onwards. I don't see any batsman from the current era having an average of 50 in that 7-8 year period, the defense seems to be missing among modern day batsmen.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

How many ATG bowlers has Smith faced till now? No doubt he is the best atm but not in the class of Sachin and Lara of the 90s.

If sachin played starc and johnson at peak... He would have  been out of  the team 10 years early :giggle: and his legs would be shaking... lucky man played again Nambia and kenya and got few 100s :phehe:

Share this post


Link to post

Comparing Diff Eras is Pointless.The Pitches,Attacks,Mindset Were Different.Smith Is Currently Best Among The Current Crop But has a long way to go.

Sent from my BLN-L22 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, CG said:

Comparing Diff Eras is Pointless.The Pitches,Attacks,Mindset Were Different.Smith Is Currently Best Among The Current Crop But has a long way to go.

Sent from my BLN-L22 using Tapatalk
 

So then why do people use terms like 'All-Time Great' if everything is era-specific?

Share this post


Link to post

a  comparison of worth less stats. Reasons ..... Sachin started from the age of 16 years & 7 months( a rookie) .Naturally you wouldn't expect him to fire all guns blazing straight away.In the 2nd phase from 1993 jan 29  - 2011 apr where Sachin peaked  he scored 13534 runs @ 59.35 avg: .After that, in his last 23 tests where he unnecessarily dragged too much he was paltry.So it is the 2nd phase that really counts........an avg: of 59.35  scoring 13534 runs.This 13534 runs is still greater than  the 2nd best tally of Ponting's.And the best

bowlers Sachin faced during this phase were Ambrose,Mcgrath,Donald,Steyn,Murali,Wasim,Waqar,Pollock,Walsh Warne & Bishop,all sub  25 avg:ing bowlers with great to adequate longevity factor.

 

And the amount of pressure Sachin had to cope with was beyond compare.Add to that Sachin was one of the most pleasing to the eyes

and Smith is exactly the  opposite.For these 2 factors alone I would attach an avg: of 4. So for me personally, let Smith score 13534 runs first  at an avg: of  around 68.5.Then only there is even a chance for comparison.

Share this post


Link to post

They were comparing a hell of a lot of players to SRT (not counting Lara) and I'll say the same thing I've been saying for more than a decade. 

 

He (insert name) may well exceed SRT, but we'll see, because in the interim:

 

Bahut aaye, bahut gaye.

 

Also sirjee, a while ago they were saying Alistair Cook would surpass SRT.

 

So, sirjee,  Bahut aaye, bahut gaye, and in the meanwhile bassshhht of kismat to the latest maestro.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

One of the greatest levels of batting ever seen, esp considering the fact that he was a 16 year old boy in 1989. His stats took a hit in the 1st 2-3 years but then shot up from 1991-92 onwards. I don't see any batsman from the current era having an average of 50 in that 7-8 year period, the defense seems to be missing among modern day batsmen.

How do you think all the batsmen have weaker defence these days ? 

The amount of T20 cricket these batsmen play growing up its unrealestic to expect them to have a very strong defence . Had the likes of Lara , Tendulkar , Dravid and Ponting been brought up in the current era , you think it would have been any different ? 

its all about being adaptive , the batsmen back then played on diffiuclt pitches more often so the adjustments they had to make was relatively very less , unlike these days where they play 95% of time on flat surfaces its not surprising they struggle when they are suddenly exposed to a green/spin friendly pitch .

On the other hand , give batsmen of 90s a flat pitch and ask them to to score 400 runs in a day they will struggle . The game has evolved with more stress on stroke making  , so have the batsmen but that dosent make them in any way inferior to players from 90s or 80s . 

 

Every other sport the skill levels have improved over the years , with players getting stronger and fitter and better training facilities/approach , I dont know why would  fans think its any different for cricket . 

Share this post


Link to post

Sachin main problem was lack of daddy hundreds and daddy series where he scored bucketful.It took him a decade for him to score his first double hundreds.Sachin in my book is massively has under achieved.

 

This quality people keep talking about he rarely played Pakistan when Ws were at their peak and he played one series with Ambrose and Walsh together.It is is not his fault that he did not face them more often like it is not Smith's fault that he is not playing so called great bowlers.

 

I don't think we have seen anyone even come close to consistency this guy has shown in tests, bowlers are running out of ideas on how to dismiss this guy. England tried everything yet could not even beat his bat.It is almost impossible to get him out in flat conditions, you have a chance in spinning, seam/swing conditions.

 

If he has another couple of years like this he will end up a second best Australian batsman after Bradman.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

He is solidly marching towards SRT/Lara territory.

 

Needs longevity and maybe some runs in pure swing conditions.

 

His impact quotient is higher than SRT/Lara anyway.

Long way to go.

Welcome back bro, you hardly post here these days.

 

I am assuming you are talking about test cricket, his impact quotient is more because of his team's bowling unit which generally finishes the job. Still in that regard he hasn't surpassed Lara.

 

He is undoubtedly the best of the post 2010 era (far far far ahead of Root/Kohli/KW) but considering the bowlers these days and the Aussie pitches he has to show more. Even FTB Kohli and Pakistani batsmen scored in the Aussie pitches, Taylor got 294 in Perth etc etc. I know Smith did very well in India and England but can he sustain his overseas record for at least another 6 years with his weird ass technique? He may well surpass Kallis, Dravid, Ponting, Sanga but Lara-SRT are a whole different level.

 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post

Smith has terrible record in Bangladesh a stain which always visible 

 

mediocre record in England as well so can’t play swing very well

 

also mediocre stuff in uae on some of flattest tracks made my mankind ( only Sri Lankan Bowlers seem To know how to exploit )

 

his stats massively infkated by hike record of average of 70 plus 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Also smith has mediocre record in Sri Lanka . Wow so 3 out of 4 Asian countries smith has mediocre stats . Add that to mediocrity of him in England . What we see is player with mass runs at home and just ok stuff away .

 

massive gaps in his record . Disappointing really 

Share this post


Link to post

@King Tendulkar He has 2 100s and a double in England, got more than 500 runs in the 2015 Ashes. Kohli will need 10 lifetimes to do that :giggle:.

 

And who cares about Bangladeshi minnows, he isn't a vulture like Sachin or Sanga who both used Bangladesh to inflate their averages. In fact it is admirable that he fires against the top teams and leaves the minnows for his less illustrious compatriots to feed upon.

 

UAE played only 2 tests and got a 97 and 55, hardly embarrassing. He proved his ability against spin earlier this year outscoring half our top order combined. Kohli was made to look like a novice before the Aussie King, deal with it :phehe:.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@King Tendulkar He has 2 100s and a double in England, got more than 500 runs in the 2015 Ashes. Kohli will need 10 lifetimes to do that :giggle:.

 

And who cares about Bangladeshi minnows, he isn't a vulture like Sachin or Sanga who both used Bangladesh to inflate their averages. In fact it is admirable that he fires against the top teams and leaves the minnows for his less illustrious compatriots to feed upon.

 

UAE played only 2 tests and got a 97 and 55, hardly embarrassing. He proved his ability against spin earlier this year outscoring half our top order combined. Kohli was made to look like a novice before the Aussie King, deal with it :phehe:.

O I see you excuse his very mediocre record in 4 countries , 3 of them Asian. Massive sample size that 3 countries in Asia and one in England 

 

glaring obvious . Great at home . Away from home is no better then a ganguly 

Edited by King Tendulkar

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Why does Sachin get pass just because he made his debut at 16, it is not Smith's fault. Wow two fricking tests in Bangladesh people are finding faults.

 

 

Well add on uae and Sri Lanka !! 

 

Kohli gets lashed for 4 tests ( one series ) why not use same yard sticks for smith ?

 

srt bosses smith away from home by the way 

 

smiths 76 average at home is muddying waters . Another Jayawardene?

Edited by King Tendulkar

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, King Tendulkar said:

Well add on uae and Sri Lanka !! 

 

Kohli gets lashed for 4 tests ( one series ) why not use same yard sticks for smith ?

 

srt bosses smith away from home by the way 

 

smiths 76 average away from home is muddying waters . Another Jayawardene?

No he is not, he has done fine is SL and UAE where he has already scored a hundred and 97.

 

Smith is carrying his team on his back and doing very well. 21 hundreds and 21 fifties in 105 innings is not a joke, it literally means he is scoring at least one fifty per test which is mind boggling.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry mediocre records 2 of 4 Asian countries . In one of them it’s frigging horrendous . Also in England it’s bang average 40 while other Indians average over 50

 

i am judging smith with same brutality Indians judge their own boys on this site . Using same yardsticks . And using same yard sticks he has massive gaps and is mediocre in Asia. 

 

Ps smith is a lot better then dhoni , there I agree 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

No he is not, he has done fine is SL and UAE where he has already scored a hundred and 97.

 

Smith is carrying his team on his back and doing very well. 21 hundreds and 21 fifties in 105 innings is not a joke, it literally means he is scoring at least one fifty per test which is mind boggling.

Has done fine !!! Thought talking about batting monster and you say fine . Mediocre in 2 Asian countries and horrific is another . It’s damming 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

 

For me, Steve Smith is miles ahead at similar stages in their careers.

Your statistical slice suffers from an unfortunate - probably unintentional - flaw.  By taking Tendy's career up to 97, you are essentially excluding a bunch of his prime performances - the 97-2002 timeframe.  While including Steve Smith's ongoing purple patch.  If you compare the first 4 years of Smith's test career to Tendy's what will you get?  Smith probably averaged below 20 or something horrible like that.  

 

Another factor is that when Tendy was in his prime as a batsman - i.e. pre tennis elbow injury, and after the first couple of teenage years - BCCI had just discovered the money making potential of ODI cricket, and as a result, played maximum numbers of ODIs at the cost of minimal test cricket.   

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

So all us neutrals agree smith is better.. that's what matters the most

I wouldn't call him better, Tendulkar was more talented but Smith has achieved more so far, the greatness of Tendulkar until last 30 tests was his adaptability. 

 

Tendulkar had a such secure technique that he rarely endured prolonged slump and even when his hand eye coordination deteriorated he still had sound technique to fall back. Guys like Richards or Ponting once their hand eye coordination decreased they just were shell of themselves.

 

Guys like Kallis  or Sanga who had very good technique did very well even late in their careers. Smith or Kohli don't possess sound technique.

Edited by putrevus

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Your a neautral lol

Yep.. :yess: i am

 

Let's take out your vote, mtc, praggy, Bangladeshi maniac, Pakistani speedheat, banglalori quota lanni, mccricket and few other sachin chamchas voted in that poll. It's pretty obvious neutrals voted for Real LEGEND smith. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, AmreekanDesi said:

when averaging 40+ is considered a 'poor record' you know youre talking abt an ATG batsman lol

 

#kingtendulkarowngoal

In Bangladesh his record his car crash stuff .sachin had no car crash places . And srt is much better record in eng which cos kohli flopped there is bench mark of what defines a player apparently 

 

just judging smith by same bench marks our boys are 

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Smith has terrible record in Bangladesh a stain which always visible 

He ain't no minnow basher like sachin bro.. sachin can enjoy that record against bangladesh in Tests..where smith ll have better record against Top 4 teams. He sure have gifted them few Odis like wc07 and 2012 AC which is another day discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×