We teach girls to be safe instead of telling boys not to rape: Rose McGowan at Hindustan Times Leadership Summit 2017

chapetmarunga

http://m.hindustantimes.com/htls/we-teach-girls-to-be-safe-instead-of-telling-boys-not-to-rape-rose-mcgowan-at-htls-2017/story-yik3iNhbrRKw3v7CRj6BpL.html

Described by session chair Anuradha Sengupta, a consulting editor with CNN-NEWS18, as the person who has “ripped off this veil of shame and secrecy that we’ve had around sexual abuse”, McGowan continued the conversation her revelations started when she identified powerful Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein as her rapist, and the abuser of dozens of women.

“It breaks my heart that we have to teach girls how to walk safely to school instead of teaching boys not to rape,” said the 44-year-old actor-activist.

“For every ‘me too’ hashtag, there is one that says ‘I did it’,” she said, referring to the social media campaign triggered by a New York Times expose. She was one of the five women NYT spoke to about Weinstein in October.

She accused Weinstein of having (for decades) preyed on aspiring stars, promising them fame and riches, and abusing them.