Gilchrist to miss first 3 weeks of WC

audioman

Australia's World Cups have been thrown into further disarray with the news that Adam Gilchrist is to miss the first three weeks of the tournament to attend the birth of his third child. Gilchrist's wife, Mel, is due to give birth just days before the squad flies out from Sydney on February 28. Already missing Andrew Symonds through injury, and unsettled by the manner of their shocking defeat to England in the CB Series finals, Australia will have to make do without their wicketkeeper and opening bat at least until their final Group A match against South Africa in St Kitts on March 24. The news means that Brad Haddin will be announced as Australia's wicketkeeper for the warm-up matches and opening fixtures, when the 15-man squad is officially announced later on Tuesday. According to The Australian newspaper, Mike Hussey will take over the gloves in the event of an injury to Haddin.
Good on ya Gilly, Family before sport always

Re: Gilchrist to miss first 3 weeks of WC Why does he need three weeks ? Even , in US , two weeks is the max that husband get for paternity leave . This guy should have been dropped for the England series and Haddin should have played in his place. I understand family priorities , but this is going to far in my opinion.

Re: Gilchrist to miss first 3 weeks of WC It is not like he is scoring 100s left, right and center. He scored 2 fifties in about 8-10 games at home in the Commonwealth series. He sure is a star and Aussie will miss him but they also will miss his bad form too. I don't reckon they would have been able to drop him considering his reputation but this will serve as an opportunity for yet another player that may be as good as him in Australia. I don't consider this a huge loss for Australia. It sure is a loss for the World Cup though, you need guys like him.

Re: Gilchrist to miss first 3 weeks of WC This IS a huge loss for Australia Ravi. He is a big-match player and would have given it his all, considering this is his last world cup. His knocks in the last two WC finals were quite brilliant. He will surely be missed. But again, Australia are bound to make the semis despite his absence and he will be back by then.