Yet another poor Kohli strategy

Kohli still persisting with his poor logic of overbowling SLA bowler against righties and Offspinner against lefties. Today he underbowled Ashwin a lot because of Matthews and Chandimal (both Righties) at crease until he ran out of options. Did same thing in Bangalore test earlier when Jadeja was underbowled for a long time and then when ran out of options Jaddu came back to take 6fer.

He also openly mentioned this logic in press conference that the lone spinner between Ashwin and Jaddu will be chosen based on how many lefties or righties are there in the opposition! I find this an extremely lame logic as you have got to choose the best in-form spinner.

Also Kohli himself averages 80+ against SLA bowling and much lower (less than 50 I think) against offspinners which is very much against his logic. Similarly India which has almost all righties in their batting lineup has recently struggled overseas mostly against offies like Moeen Ali, Lyon, Swann, etc.

So from where did he workout this crap logic and is it going to affect the lone spinner pick?

Is it going to be yet another merry goround between Ashwin and Jaddu letting both to not settle down overseas? Kohli particularly likes to do these merry gorounds with his openers, allrounders, fast bowlers (only spinners have escaped till now as both have been required in subcontinent).

10 minutes ago, surajmal said:

So now people have a problem with Kohli for going by the book... 

Which book are you talking about?

By that book no offspinner should have been successful against the right handed lineup of India in overseas conditions. By that book Kohli should be struggling against SL bowlers whereas he averages 85+ against them. So which book are you talking about again?

10 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Which book are you talking about?

By that book no offspinner should have been successful against the right handed lineup of India in overseas conditions. By that book Kohli should be struggling against SL bowlers whereas he averages 85+ against them. So which book are you talking about again?

This luungans team is ****. Plan A (which is usually going by the percentages) should work 9/10 times. 

This thread and test match is my told you so moment. I firmly believe he is useless as captain. Its just that he has been lucky to have so many options. He only looked good in tests because our previous Test captain was the crapiest ever overseas Indian captain, relied too much on line length bowlers overseas and Kohli went for raw pace.

Then Kumble came and Kohli got the credit, If it wasnt Kumble strategising and also solidly throwing his weight behind Pujara, I believe, England wont have lost the series.

And with Ravi Shashtri as coach/aka strategist, I will be surprised if we dont go back to good old pathetic 2-1, 1-0 kind of home series win.

All in All, Kohli is clueless. Be it limited overs, be it unlimited overs

Edited by mishra

Some dumbasses will continue to blame Dhoni for whatever bad Kohli does. If Kohli does not have mind to lead after playing so much, God help us. 

On topic, even if Kohli feels Ashwin as offspinner will not be suitable against righthanders, he just can't forget him. Ashwin is the biggest matchwinner in Indian conditions, he has to be used as strike bowler. 

Edited by Shunya
2 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

Kohli still persisting with his poor logic of overbowling SLA bowler against righties and Offspinner against lefties. Today he underbowled Ashwin a lot because of Matthews and Chandimal (both Righties) at crease until he ran out of options. Did same thing in Bangalore test earlier when Jadeja was underbowled for a long time and then when ran out of options Jaddu came back to take 6fer.

He also openly mentioned this logic in press conference that the lone spinner between Ashwin and Jaddu will be chosen based on how many lefties or righties are there in the opposition! I find this an extremely lame logic as you have got to choose the best in-form spinner.

Also Kohli himself averages 80+ against SLA bowling and much lower (less than 50 I think) against offspinners which is very much against his logic. Similarly India which has almost all righties in their batting lineup has recently struggled overseas mostly against offies like Moeen Ali, Lyon, Swann, etc.

So from where did he workout this crap logic and is it going to affect the lone spinner pick?

Is it going to be yet another merry goround between Ashwin and Jaddu letting both to not settle down overseas? Kohli particularly likes to do these merry gorounds with his openers, allrounders, fast bowlers (only spinners have escaped till now as both have been required in subcontinent).

May be from Dhoni....

Dhoni did this all his life....

May be it will work in ODI's to curtail the run-rate but will not work in Tests

39 minutes ago, mishra said:

This thread and test match is my told you so moment. I firmly believe he is useless as captain. Its just that he has been lucky to have so many options. He only looked good in tests because our previous Test captain was the crapiest ever overseas Indian captain, relied too much on line length bowlers overseas and Kohli went for raw pace.

Then Kumble came and Kohli got the credit, If it wasnt Kumble strategising and also solidly throwing his weight behind Pujara, I believe, England wont have lost the series.

And with Ravi Shashtri as coach/aka strategist, I will be surprised if we dont go back to good old pathetic 2-1, 1-0 kind of home series win.

All in All, Kohli is clueless. Be it limited overs, be it unlimited overs

May be Kohli is not a great captain but all the options which he has now...he created them...

He will continue to create these options...

5 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

May be Kohli is not a great captain but all the options which he has now...he created them...

He will continue to create these options...

No, Thats not the case. He has no role in creating the fast bowling factory or batsmen of future. And it not his role either. There are various coaches and academies and leagues for that. He gets no credit for that.

The only credit a captain gets is if he is being honest with his selection and how to take best out out of his team mates.  Hear all the players and coaches and finally make a strategy in dressing room with them and then execute it on field. 6 out of 10 times a opposition player will spoil the strategy and in that case improvise. And coach also needs to be constantly thinking and somehow helping/messaging Kohli to how/what to improvise.

As a captain, You can have one or two players in your good books, Social pressure, everyone knows that, But it needs to be managed without impacting outcome of matches. But captain must be in goods books of every player he is leading. I doubt he has that skill either

1 minute ago, mishra said:

No, Thats not the case. He has no role in creating the fast bowling factory or batsmen of future. And it not his role either. There are various coaches and academies and leagues for that. He gets no credit for that.

The only credit a captain gets is if he is being honest with his selection and how to take best out out of his team mates.  Hear all the players and coaches and finally make a strategy in dressing room with them and then execute it on field. 6 out of 10 times a opposition player will spoil the strategy and in that case improvise. And coach also needs to be constantly thinking and somehow helping/messaging Kohli to how/what to improvise.

As a captain, You can have one or two players in your good books, Social pressure, everyone knows that, But it needs to be managed without impacting outcome of matches. But captain must be in goods books of every player he is leading. I doubt he has that skill either

He has encouraged picking fast bowlers and encouraged them to bowl quick . So gets credit , refreshing change from previous skipper who resented pace

10 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

He has encouraged picking fast bowlers and encouraged them to bowl quick . So gets credit , refreshing change from previous skipper who resented pace

Lets not get overboard with MSD thing. Umesh and MSD werent best of friends and we hated MSD for effing up with Umesh as MSD allways found a way of dropping him. Aaron is only IPL fit player. Zaak was allways picked by MSD too. Bhuvi has allready said that his new coach gets all credit for increasing his pace.

So, MSD wasnt all that anti pace. He wanted line length bowlers. But MSD was no match to Dada who did wonders with likes of RP Singh,Irfan Pathan.

For Kohli, Benchmark(MSD Captaincy) is just low. Hence he looks good

Edited by mishra
3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

There is difference between our off spinners and spinners like Lyon. Lyon can make use of rough wide open off which Ashwin doesn't do that is why he becomes less effective against right handers and Lyon becomes successful against our right handers due to him being able to get turn from wide outside off. 

This was true in the past but not true these days.

On a turner, Ashwin uses the wide open rough like Lyon (maybe not as much but uses nevertheless).

He destroyed NZ in India with that style of bowling. Against WI too. Against Eng, pitches were too flat and there wasn't rough outside off and against Aus, he was mostly poor.

Recent series in SL, he averaged in teens against right handers and 39 against left handers.

Edited by sensible-indian