China pollution flowing downstream into India

sandeep

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/12/12/world/asia/ap-as-india-contaminated-river.html

"The Chinese may seek to deny, but we suspect there is massive tunnel building activities to divert the Yarlung Tsangbo to Xinjiang province, particularly the Taklamakan desert region," Lungkang Ering, president of the All Bogong Students' Union in the border district of East Sing, said in a letter to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

"China is constructing several dams on the Yarlung Tsangpo. One big dam, the Zangmo dam, is already operational and about three to four other dams are under various stages of construction. The Zangmo dam is located just 3-4 kilometers (2-3 miles) from the Indian border and is 116 meters (380 feet) high," according to Nayan Sharma, a leading Indian hydrologist at the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee.

Ind has no one but its population to blame for its misfortune .... If people of Israel had access to land and resources such as in the subcontinent, they would have taken the region to a different level. China would have been thinking twice even for putting up a short bridge 

Edited by zen

8 hours ago, zen said:

Ind has no one but its population to blame for its misfortune .... If people of Israel had access to land and resources such as in the subcontinent, they would have taken the region to a different level. China would have been thinking twice even for putting up a short bridge 

India's population woes are to be blamed for China building a dam on her territory?

:confused: 

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Read the link Sandeep posted.

I did which is why I asked you to read my post again because it appears as if you did not understand it. Look at the river system below, where a country (due to strong, not necessarily physical through it helps, and proactive population) would not allow its water systems to be negatively impacted by activities in another country:

mapppp_orig.jpg

Ind, generally, has a weak (and to a certain extent selfish) population that does not even stand up for basic rights, let alone the country and environment. A strong India, by virtue of a strong population, would make countries like China think before considering transferring pollution to it .... I am not sure if Ind had the wisdom to put adequate water treaties in place with China .... If people in Ind think like what have they got to do if China does something in its territory that is impacting water resources negatively in Ind, it highlights the presence of the problem in Indian population that is mentioned 

PS and many even say Ind is not a nation but a population

Edited by zen

I looked into this and it seems like about 75% of Brahmaputra's water comes from the cactchement downstream of Namcha Barwa. i.e., Brahmaputra gets most of its water once it enters Arunachal Pradesh, which is also consistent with the pictures of much narrower and shallower Yarlung Tsangpo ---> Brahmaputra comparisons.