Sign in to follow this  
SK_IH

3rd Test, England tour of Australia and New Zealand at Perth, Dec 14-18 2017

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Also impressive is how quickly they took advantage of that Malan wicket and knocked out the last 5 wickets for barely 50 runs.  And that's against an England team that supposedly "bats deep".

I expect South African bowlers to employ similar short ball tactics against our guys, especially the likes of Jadeja, Bhuvi etc

i have the same fear and i include ashwin in this as well,our last 4 could be blown away 

9 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

they are smarter may be ,our bowlers get carried away,i remember last time in Brisbane we got carried away with short ball theory and let johnson and starc smash us  :noidea:

Our bowlers become too predictable.  Short ball tactic is not bad if you have pace but you cant be predictable. If batsman already know what you are going to ball, he is ready for that. Our bowlers do not mix the length up.

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Is Steve Smith even human? Un****ingbelievable penchant for runs. 

Reluctantly stating this:  He may be a punk and borderline liar, but he is shaping up to be an ATG batsman.  Has an ugly but somehow highly effective technique.  But his mental toughness while batting sets him apart.  Grit, guts, glory.

11 hours ago, Brainfade said:

Reluctantly stating this:  He may be a punk and borderline liar, but he is shaping up to be an ATG batsman.  Has an ugly but somehow highly effective technique.  But his mental toughness while batting sets him apart.  Grit, guts, glory.

With that weird-ass technique, its a bit unreal that he's scored a 1000 test runs, each of the last 4 years.   

39 minutes ago, sandeep said:

With that weird-ass technique, its a bit unreal that he's scored a 1000 test runs, each of the last 4 years.   

techqniue is overrated.  it is all about quick reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination and how quick a batsman can react to a ball. A ball coming even at 135 is very quick and comes quickly and batsman has to react even quickly to it and deciding what to do.  I despise people here who laugh at the batsmen struggling when the ball seams around. Most of them have not played any kind of cricket with the real cricket ball.  

Edited by rkt.india

Smith's gigantic tour in India earlier this year has given him a lot of confidence. Wish we hadn't dropped him 5 times in Pune and umpire hadn't ruled a plumb LBW not out when we ran out of reviews. 

He will single handedly destroy us next year :((.

Edited by Gollum

Hand eye coordination being the only thing for a batsman’s success is totally wrong.

Lets take Afridi for example he had tremendous hand eye coordination and sure when he came off on those rare occasions it came off but he had  so much else missing which makes a successful batsman like grit,range of stroke play,temperament and match awareness.

Take Dhoni for example another hand eye coordination player but even though he is not able to hit as he used to ,gotta give it to him he has the grit to survive and tough it out which we can see and even though that’s not great for team cause always ,he will still manage to score runs.

Gayle is another guy....the reason for Gayle’s success is not just brainless slogging ...he picks his bowlers very carefully...he will play out even a maiden against a good bowler but has the capability still to  take 20-24 runs from a mediocre bowler...that is called match awareness but at times a bowler is too good for him and he will get out before his calculation comes off.

Chanderpaul too no technique at all but great hand eye coordination in his youth and then eventually tremendous grit in his later career due to which he kept making runs but just did not have he strokeplay range to make an impact

Once Again Smith has apart from technique covers all the other bases covered which will make him a ATG if he is not one already 

13 minutes ago, maniac said:

2013 still remember the thread  “the word hack shall never be used for steve smith” and absolutely got killed just like the Duckett thread...ah the good times.

I had predicted it even before 2013.

Just now, maniac said:

Hand eye coordination being the only thing for a batsman’s success is totally wrong.

Lets take Afridi for example he had tremendous hand eye coordination and sure when he came off on those rare occasions it came off but he had  so much else missing which makes a successful batsman like grit,range of stroke play,temperament and match awareness.

Take Dhoni for example another hand eye coordination player but even though he is not able to hit as he used to ,gotta give it to him he has the grit to survive and tough it out which we can see and even though that’s not great for team cause always ,he will still manage to score runs.

Gayle is another guy....the reason for Gayle’s success is not just brainless slogging ...he picks his bowlers very carefully...he will play out even a maiden against a good bowler but has the capability still to  take 20-24 runs from a mediocre bowler...that is called match awareness but at times a bowler is too good for him and he will get out before his calculation comes off.

Chanderpaul too no technique at all but great hand eye coordination in his youth and then eventually tremendous grit in his later career due to which he kept making runs but just did not have he strokeplay range to make an impact

Once Again Smith has apart from technique covers all the other bases covered which will make him a ATG if he is not one already 

what has grit to do with batting technique. Grit is temperament and no, Afridi did not have great hand eye co-ordination. he just had power and quick hands. If you dont have a good hand eye coordination, no technique can make you a good batsman. Hand-eye coordination is the most important thing even before good technique. You can be successful without technique but without hand-eye, you will never be. Afridi neither had good hand-eye coordination nor technique. Hand-eye coordination means judging the line and length of the ball quickly and react to it and if you are slow in that, technique wont matter. You will consistent get bowled, LBW and miss playing the ball if you are slow to read the trajectory of the ball. Hand-eye coordination doesn't mean hitting boundaries and sixes but reacting to the ball delivery quickly which Smith does really well. 

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

what has grit to do with batting technique. Grit is temperament and no, Afridi did not have great hand eye co-ordination. he just had power and quick hands. If you dont have a good hand eye coordination, no technique can make you a good batsman. Hand-eye coordination is the most important thing even before good technique. You can be successful without technique but without hand-eye, you will never be. Afridi neither had good hand-eye coordination nor technique. Hand-eye coordination means judging the line and length of the ball quickly and react to it and if you are slow in that, technique wont matter. You will consistent get bowled, LBW and miss playing the ball if you are slow to read the trajectory of the ball. Hand-eye coordination doesn't mean hitting boundaries and sixes but reacting to the ball delivery quickly which Smith does really well. 

To hit any delivery over 135ks for 4 or a 6 requires great hand eye coordination. Can’t beleive I am arguing for Afridi but quick hands to hit a 135k delivery isn’t that part of hand eye coordination...sure Afridi swung with his eyes closed as well later on but early on he did have it.

Same with Dhoni’s helicopter.....when I say grit it means not making any mistakes and surviving which we see a lot with Dhoni....yes there is no intent to score  but at times there is also the grit to not get out.

Anywaus I think we are saying the same thing for most part...Technique is overrated.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Smith's gigantic tour in India earlier this year has given him a lot of confidence. Wish we hadn't dropped him 5 times in Pune and umpire hadn't ruled a plumb LBW not out when we ran out of reviews. 

He will single handedly destroy us next year :((.

Don't worry, he will be bhuvis bunny

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

His basics are gr8, thats what matters

HE gets in line of the ball

Head is so still

Reaches the ball well with full stretch of arms n feet

Feet moves well

Positive mindset

These things are more then enough. Looks ugly to a lot of people here but to me his basics are so good his batting is soothing for me 

31 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

learning cannot make them pacy

They are not playing Mark Wood.  Stewart Meaker is pacy too.

England is obsessed with either really tall pacers or bowlers who can bat too  ..... and that is leading to them not picking their best pacers when the ball is not moving around 

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

They are not playing Mark Wood.  Stewart Meaker is pacy too.

England is obsessed with either really tall pacers or bowlers who can bat too  ..... and that is leading to them not picking their best pacers when the ball is not moving around 

Mark Wood has just come back from injury. Otherwise, he would have been a lock in. Meaker is not that good.

21 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Mark Wood has just come back from injury.

Wood is available for selection

21 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Otherwise, he would have been a lock in. Meaker is not that good.

Neither is this lot when ball not moving

Meaker would provide variety to the attack and he looked ok the last time I saw him

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

learning cannot make them pacy

By they I mean to say English think tank, they have  guys like wood, meaker, garton and footit, now I don't know if all of them are available for selection or not but they can't be worse than ball, I also don't know much about that footit guy but saw a video of his in parosi forum he looked as sharp as starc.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.