Iyer is making Dhawan look like Don Bradman

gakgupta

Iyer has been great last 2 games . Been awesome in A tours and taken his chance in last week . 

We shouod be excited as pro active white ball cricket player we have found .

instead negativity 

yes green track in tests v top calibre player may be no good ( maybe will be who knows ) . But for white ball cricket on type of tracks  played on this kid is real find 

7 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

Iyer has been great last 2 games . Been awesome in A tours and taken his chance in last week . 

We shouod be excited as pro active white ball cricket player we have found .

instead negativity 

yes green track in tests v top calibre player may be no good ( maybe will be who knows ) . But for white ball cricket on type of tracks  played on this kid is real find 

As someone mentioned above...guys like Steve Smith, Chanderpaul etc etc have proven that technique is overrated...a guy in the purple patch of his life and who scores is what matters....plenty of time on a green pitch plenty of “technique” batsman fail when someone with a weird technique makes runs.

Iyer is the kind of player who will look like a million bucks as long as he scores and a hack when he fails.

What I like about him is “intent” and trust me our current team needs that “intent”. Kudos to Iyer for cashing in and bonus he puts Karthik’s spot under the cloud.

I personally think he has more of an upside than Jadhav who has more of an upside than Manish Pandey.

There is just no pleasing indian fans, there is this guy who is scoring at good clip which we were in dire need of, and behold the technique is not pleasing to fans. What kind of technique that hack zaman had when he won his team the final? It's the form of the player counts and BCCI has long history of picking up players when they run out of their form. Hope they stick with iyer and let him grow at #4.

Technique is overrated. But temperament is not. And he needs a bit more of that. 

If AM had held on to a rather easy chance at slip early on in SSI's innings (off an unnecessary shot), we'd be arguing more about SSI's mindset than his technique. But credit goes to the youngster for making it count. 

He has scored some runs yes, but far too early to be impressed. To be honest, scoring these runs on very Indian wickets against these SL bowlers should not count much as far as overseas selection goes. If any of these guys had done anything during the Kolkata 1st innings or the Dharamsala ODI, I would have been extremely excited. We have had dozens of people perform like champions in our home conditions and then absolutely suck when the ball seams around in England, or comes at their noses at 145 KM in SA/Australia. I'm not saying he should be dropped or something, I'm just not holding my breath yet for any heroics vs Rabada and co. in Newlands

1 hour ago, Riju23 said:

He has scored some runs yes, but far too early to be impressed. To be honest, scoring these runs on very Indian wickets against these SL bowlers should not count much as far as overseas selection goes. If any of these guys had done anything during the Kolkata 1st innings or the Dharamsala ODI, I would have been extremely excited. We have had dozens of people perform like champions in our home conditions and then absolutely suck when the ball seams around in England, or comes at their noses at 145 KM in SA/Australia. I'm not saying he should be dropped or something, I'm just not holding my breath yet for any heroics vs Rabada and co. in Newlands

I doubt if SA/Oz ODI pitches have much spice. SA in ODIs has lots of flat tracks. for e.g., yusuf pathan did well in 1 series there.

Edited by Vijy

You are right he did have a couple good innings, but the team as a whole did not clear 250 (as I recall) in those matches, so perhaps it speaks more to Yusuf's batting in those particular matches rather than the pitches being easy for batting. He was able to absolutely blast their slower seamers e.g. Totsobe (sp) and their offspinner Botha. I don't think he had his way with Steyn and Morkel.

I agree the Australia odi pitches might be good for batting, but only if you are able to handle hostile and accurate 145+ km/h fast bowling on fast tracks.

Edited by Riju23
point of clarification

One thing I sense with Iyer is his confidence.

He wont bottle down after initial success like pandey {100 in aus chasing} and jadhav (couple of damn good knocks against eng).

I was backing him to get 100 in these 2 matches, after that he would have been brimming with confidence at international arena, won't bog down like pandey jadhav.