Faf du Plessis unavailable for Boxing Day Test

sandeep

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21802962/faf-du-plessis-miss-inaugural-four-day-test

Du Plessis has not played any cricket since late October when he hurt his back during the second ODI against Bangladesh. He was initially prescribed six weeks' rest. However, at the same time, du Plessis had surgery on a problematic shoulder. As a result, he played no part in the recently concluded Ram Slam and was not named in the CSA Invitation XI to play Zimbabwe in a warm-up match scheduled for Wednesday.

Mohammed Moosajee, South Africa's team manager who is also a medical doctor, told ESPNcricinfo last week that du Plessis was "on track", but also emphasised that a late decision will be taken given the workload over the next three months.

"If we reach next week and see that Faf would benefit from another week off, then we will give him that time," Moosajee said. "We are not going to be foolish with his return, because there is a lot of cricket over the next few months."

Looks like Morkel is back to fitness, which is very good for SA.  He's the one bowler that I'm most concerned about during the SA tour.   

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

If they play Steyn, Morkel, Rabada, Philander and Maharaj in the XI will this be the greatest bowling attack (at least on paper if not on form) against us in the last 15-20 years? 

I think the 2004 Oz attack (which beat us at home) was better if one considers only 4 of above 5 will play. If I recall right, that had McG, warne, peak gillespie and kaspy. the 90's SA attack at home was brutal too. donald, de villiers, pollock/schulz, etc.

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Banjo so much negativity.  Did anyone think Sri Lanka would win their recent test series against Australia or Pakistan?  Cricket's a funny game.   I don't think it makes sense to be so intimidated by SA.   We've got a puncher's chance here.  And I'm expecting our team to make a good fist of it. 

did expect them to win against Pakistani because of herath who has always had an awesome record against them. didn't expect cleansweep for sure. as for Ind in SA, the batting does not inspire much confidence barring a couple of players.

9 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I think the 2004 Oz attack (which beat us at home) was better if one considers only 4 of above 5 will play. If I recall right, that had McG, warne, peak gillespie and kaspy. the 90's SA attack at home was brutal too. donald, de villiers, pollock/schulz, etc.

That 2004 bowling attack was indeed very good, even better than 90s SA.

If SA play all these 5 bowlers we are losing 0-3 no matter what (no respite for our batters). Question is whether they will be ballsy enough to play these 5 in a XI, anything else will be a blunder on their part. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

That 2004 bowling attack was indeed very good, even better than 90s SA.

If SA play all these 5 bowlers we are losing 0-3 no matter what (no respite for our batters). Question is whether they will be ballsy enough to play these 5 in a XI, anything else will be a blunder on their part. 

I think they will play 4 out of 5, since SA has proven to be rather conservative in general. however, they should play all 5 IMO. de kock can easily bat at 6. phil at 7 and maharaj at 8 are both bowling allrounders, while steyn and rabada can bat a bit at 9 and 10 or vice-versa.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I think they will play 4 out of 5, since SA has proven to be rather conservative in general. however, they should play all 5 IMO. de kock can easily bat at 6. phil at 7 and maharaj at 8 are both bowling allrounders, while steyn and rabada can bat a bit at 9 and 10 or vice-versa.

Spot on, logically they should play all 5 and unleash hell on us. Du Plessis strikes me as an aggressive type captain, we can expect the worst from them. If they drop one of these 5 in place of Bavuma, we have a small chance to stun them. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Spot on, logically they should play all 5 and unleash hell on us. Du Plessis strikes me as an aggressive type captain, we can expect the worst from them. If they drop one of these 5 in place of Bavuma, we have a small chance to stun them. 

I hope so. I want to see Kohli (and of course dhawan, rohit and pandya) get a real working-over. if he does well, I'll salute him deservedly... but I'm not confident about that outcome.

39 minutes ago, Vijy said:

did expect them to win against Pakistani because of herath who has always had an awesome record against them. didn't expect cleansweep for sure. as for Ind in SA, the batting does not inspire much confidence barring a couple of players.

Good for you.  But the point remains, it is silly to assume that we are going to get hammered in SA - 3-0 and all that, is just pessimism, and a bit baseless IMHO.

31 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I agree that SA's best XI would be the one with QdK at #6, and 5 bowlers.   But somehow I don't think they will bold enough to go that route.  Especially if Faf is not leading in T1.   

12 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Good for you.  But the point remains, it is silly to assume that we are going to get hammered in SA - 3-0 and all that, is just pessimism, and a bit baseless IMHO.

yes, and if SA overdoes rhe green tracks, I can see us winning a test. however, I feel our best chance to win overseas is Oz, Eng and SA in thar order.

13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't think they will be hammered as I trust Kohli's teams to fight but I am afraid they will be facing quality bowling attack which is miles ahead of anything they have faced without any practice games.

Holding on to catches is primary....not just with South Africa but any home team batsman will make you pay if he is given a life line- does that inspire confidence?

Our fast bowling blows hot or cold...it looks like a million bucks as a supporting act when the spinners are on song but haven’t seen them take the initiative and blow the opposition out on their own....even against a lowly ranked side

like Lanka on a spicy pitch it took them

some time to get into the groove.

Batting well...apart from Kohli tell me which batsman gives you that absolute confidence that he will be alright against a terrific pace bowling unit and a side that now  has a couple of decent spinners too.

There is a line between optimism and pessimism it is called realism...I don’t know where people are getting this bravado about winning the series.

As a fan would I want to be surprised and see India win absolutely but there is no frickin tangible analysis of why we will do well...only a bunch of pseudo patriotic bs and emotion.

Edited by maniac
4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Holding on to catches is primary....not just with South Africa but any home team batsman will make you pay if he is given a life line- does that inspire confidence?

Our fast bowling blows hot or cold...it looks like a million bucks as a supporting act when the spinners are on song but haven’t seen them take the initiative and blow the opposition out on their own....even against a lowly ranked side

like Lanka on a spicy pitch it took them

some time to get into the groove.

Batting well...apart from Kohli tell me which batsman gives you that absolute confidence that he will be alright against a terrific pace bowling unit and has a couple of decent spinners too.

There is a line between optimism and pessimism

it is called realism...I don’t know where people are getting this bravado about winning the

series.

As a fan would I want to be surprised and see India win absolutely but there is no frickin tangible analysis of why we will do well...only a bunch of pseudo patriotic bs and emotion.

You may lose but if you go down fighting you can accept, for India to win lot of things have to go right and rain should have say in at least in one test.

This nonsense that India has seam attack to win in SA which all former players saying in press is ridiculous. 

I have been saying the samething to extrapolate our seamers SR and Avg from India to overseas is a big mistake.In India they are supporting act where they have become leading acts in SA and I don't think they are capable of it.I hope I am wrong but I don't how Pandya will magically become better bowler or Ishant/Shami will all of sudden become strike bowlers and run thru sides.