Steve Smith - Test Batting Ranking

velu

1 hour ago, New guy said:

Waqar never achieved no 1 rankings in his career

No Waqar was no 1 for many months during 1993-1994. Problem was that he was competing with Ambrose who consistently maintiained high rating points (880-912) for long time.

Ambrose probably never went out of top 10 once entering the list for the first time.

2 hours ago, Shunya said:

Saala 7 points hi mila for a double century and MOM in a winning cause. Need couple of double centuries more to beat Bradman I guess. It will great if he can do it, sounds impossible.

Nevertheless, :hatsoff: Steven Smith. This guy is creating history day by day. 

image.png.c9e59ecfe14e568df81b0d951a325d8e.png

Don ko pakadna mushkil hi nahin....Clearly this proves that the rating doesn't increase linearly. Otherwise Kohli wouldn't have got a 60 pt boost after a double against Lanka in the 2nd Test with Smith getting just 7 here.

5 hours ago, Shunya said:

Saala 7 points hi mila for a double century and MOM in a winning cause. Need couple of double centuries more to beat Bradman I guess. It will great if he can do it, sounds impossible.

Nevertheless, :hatsoff: Steven Smith. This guy is creating history day by day. 

image.png.c9e59ecfe14e568df81b0d951a325d8e.png

seems rather unfair that he got only 7 pts

I don't think peak takes into account the quality of the bowling faced on the avg:.Hence , this peak though a highlight of a career is not the 'all important matter'. I wonder, other wise how can somebody like Sachin who faced several ATG bowlers  and had an avg: of

59.35 scoring a mammoth 13534 runs(still better than the 2nd highest aggregate of all time of Ponting) had a peak rating of only 898. Another point to note in Sachin's case is that ,with  in his best phase of 41 tests where he scored 4335 runs @69.92 avg:  he played only 11 tests in 2 years(1998 & 2000 combined . 1998 was the year Sachin was at his towering best in one dayers).So that also counts when we analyse the 'peak' factor.It means Peak is a highlight but not the 'all important thing'. Just saying the point by taking Sachin's example into account. 

7 minutes ago, Vijy said:

It does tbh. Just for comparison Kohli got 16 pts for his double and 50 for the drawn Delhi Test. But I suppose it's the same for every player once they reach the stratospheric heights of 930+. Becomes increasingly harder to get a big jump. In a way I am glad that the Don is still at the top.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

It does tbh. Just for comparison Kohli got 16 pts for his double and 50 for the drawn Delhi Test. But I suppose it's the same for every player once they reach the stratospheric heights of 930+. Becomes increasingly harder to get a big jump. In a way I am glad that the Don is still at the top.

yes, it will be hard to overtake him. at least stewie has equalled hutton.

22 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

I don't think peak takes into account the quality of the bowling faced on the avg:.Hence , this peak though a highlight of a career is not the 'all important matter'. I wonder, other wise how can somebody like Sachin who faced several ATG bowlers  and had an avg: of

59.35 scoring a mammoth 13534 runs(still better than the 2nd highest aggregate of all time of Ponting) had a peak rating of only 898. Another point to note in Sachin's case is that ,with  in his best phase of 41 tests where he scored 4335 runs @69.92 avg:  he played only 11 tests in 2 years(1998 & 2000 combined . 1998 was the year Sachin was at his towering best in one dayers).So that also counts when we analyse the 'peak' factor.It means Peak is a highlight but not the 'all important thing'. Just saying the point by taking Sachin's example into account. 

The FAQ section does mention that the strength of the opposition is taken into account so I think the quality of bowling is being considered. But yeah batsmen like Ponting who get to play an insane number of Test during their prime (I think AUS played nearly 70 Tests between 2002-06) have an advantage over some one like Tendulkar who barely played 5 Tests in 1998 when he was at his absolute peak. Even right now a guy like Root has a massive advantage over someone like Williamson who gets much fewer opportunities.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

The FAQ section does mention that the strength of the opposition is taken into account so I think the quality of bowling is being considered. But yeah batsmen like Ponting who get to play an insane number of Test during their prime (I think AUS played nearly 70 Tests between 2002-06) have an advantage over some one like Tendulkar who barely played 5 Tests in 1998 when he was at his absolute peak. Even right now a guy like Root has a massive advantage over someone like Williamson who gets much fewer opportunities.

Even though it might be taking this ' quality of bowling ' factor into account, I doubt as to how much weightage is  given to this factor.

For me this factor is of supreme importance because  of the fact that  'all it needs for a bowler is  just a single  quality delivery  to pack even  a super quality batsman back to the pavilion and  there by discontinue thru that inns of his for ever'.For instance take Graeme Hick. He was  glorified as the second coming of Bradman when he came into the scene because of his penchant for building mammoth inns feeding on the 120-130 km/hr range county bowlers..But all it needed was an 140-150 km/hr  Ambrose to make him fade away from the scene even faster than he arrived.In other  words, that little a bit difference in  bowling speed or quality  can make a huge difference to the  fortunes of opposition batsmen because of the fact that such high quality bowlers can time and again

produce that unplayable delivery thru out an inns that can make the batsman discontinue thru that inns of his for ever .

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

True. He lost 3 points from 941 to 938 after 2nd Test where he scored 40 & 6. So I believe he has to maintain above his career average per innings to be even out. That makes it so tough to rise in ranking above 900 rating.

Damn. It will take super consistency to reach here. Brilliant by Smith.

1 hour ago, Shunya said:

True. He lost 3 points from 941 to 938 after 2nd Test where he scored 40 & 6. So I believe he has to maintain above his career average per innings to be even out. That makes it so tough to rise in ranking above 900 rating.

Damn. It will take super consistency to reach here. Brilliant by Smith.

think he will push the rating a bit higher once the next 2 tests end.

33 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

no, he wont come close to Don's rating ever. that ranking was achieved by scoring at an average close to 100. one has to be near that to achieve that again.

true,he will have to score consecutive 100s in last 2 games,one of them preferably double again to come close,highly improbable