kapil dev hundred south africa 1992 - Anyone have Video of this game you could upload

Yantra

This was one of the best batting display from Kapil against Donald and company, India was in trouble with All top 5 wickets gone single figures including Sachin, Azhar, Shashtri, Manju, it will be great tribute to Kapil and those who are young generation would understand why we admire Kapil so much truly best all rounder world has ever seen, no question about it.

I too am eagerly waiting for the video of his innings with mouth watering enthusiam.The great Kapil could play such inns which even ATG batsmen could be proud of.The likes of Jadeja , Ashwin, Woakes etc etc are prime examples of the fact that stats aren't every thing. They all avg: very closer to Kapil, but they can only dream of  playing the sort of inns Kapil could play.A genuine all rounder whose bat avg: of 31.05  is easily  atleast worth  38  if  longevity,aggressiveness, several inns against  high quality bowling units etc etc are taken into account.Hope some body would upload his 129 vs SAF video clip one day.

This match was televised in India and I remember seeing it, it was a big shock in those days that new SA team was so good in every thing even though they were not playing international cricket, in those days our away tours were really bad, speacially after Kapil left, in this 92 tour I think we lost one test match but the other two that followed we lost most of the matches, poor selection of bowlers, batsmans whole team was bad apart from few knocks from Sachin, dravid and Azhar no one stood up to SAs fast bowlers,

1 hour ago, Yantra said:

This match was televised in India and I remember seeing it, it was a big shock in those days that new SA team was so good in every thing even though they were not playing international cricket, in those days our away tours were really bad, speacially after Kapil left, in this 92 tour I think we lost one test match but the other two that followed we lost most of the matches, poor selection of bowlers, batsmans whole team was bad apart from few knocks from Sachin, dravid and Azhar no one stood up to SAs fast bowlers,

don't forget amre who played a very fine knock. possibly the best debut innings by an indian.

2 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

I too am eagerly waiting for the video of his innings with mouth watering enthusiam.The great Kapil could play such inns which even ATG batsmen could be proud of.The likes of Jadeja , Ashwin, Woakes etc etc are prime examples of the fact that stats aren't every thing. They all avg: very closer to Kapil, but they can only dream of  playing the sort of inns Kapil could play.A genuine all rounder whose bat avg: of 31.05  is easily  atleast worth  38  if  longevity,aggressiveness, several inns against  high quality bowling units etc etc are taken into account.Hope some body would upload his 129 vs SAF video clip one day.

diff between woakes/jaddu and ashwin is that latter has scored some 100s (even if against the same weak team). having said that, I agree there's a gap between ashwin and kapil. the same also holds for ashwin and mankad who avg about the same, but mankad was shuttled up and down order in a super-weak team and had an avg of 41 as opener (scored 2 doubles too)

Edited by Vijy

I remember the odi series....didn’t catch much of the test matches...it was the early days of cable tv in India.

I remember WV Raman’s 100(I think only Match we won),Kapil Dev’s mankanding incident and also this allrounder called Dave Callahan who was a pain more often than not(I believe he had cancer or something later on which cut his career short) Donald was almost unplayable every time he bowled. The most epic memory from the odi series was Ravi Shastri who was known to be a tuk tuk legend would try to come down the pitch to Donald and co and miss the ball all the time but first time since I started watching cricket saw Ravi Shastri “try”.

I didn’t see the test matches...even if I caught a bit of the action,don’t actually remember much except reading in the papers about Amre 100 but I think it was international test debut for Zimbabwe early on in that tour.

21 hours ago, sandeep said:

There's a reason why Amre is consdered pretty much the best batting coach in the business today.  He was Dravid before there was a Dravid.  A bit unlucky not to have a longer career. 

I was under the impression, perhaps wrong, that amre was considered to be very solid at playing well on SA-type pitches. Dravid didn't do that well in SA on the whole. Given that in the early 90s we didn't have many batsmen with 40+ avgs (Sidhu, Azhar and SRT come to mind) I'm surprised Amre didn't get longer rope.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Finally up on Youtube probably at the right time considering the shower of shite served up in the 2nd Test. Warning: Don't get your hopes too high as it only features 5-6 fours/1 six from the knock. Kudos to the uploader nonetheless :clap2: .

@Yantra  @rtmohanlal

thanks a lot mate.... genuine dashing allrounder taking  the team  from 31/6 (still   trailing by 32 runs or so) to  a lead of some 150 single handedly against great bowling in toughest conditions.That was Kapil dev.Even if a few boundaries, it is worth watching.

One-armed bandit

As his team-mates collapsed and Donald raged, Kapil Dev took the fight to South Africa

106994.2.jpg No pain, no gain Trevor Jones / © Associated Press

First there was the motorcade through Durban. And a few days later, a meeting with Nelson Mandela. Then two drawn Tests. Two more Tests remained, and in between India lost the one-day series 2-5. By the time the team arrived in Port Elizabeth, as we prepared to bid farewell to 1992, some of the gloss had already been taken off the Indian challenge. Allan Donald was quoted as saying that Indians ran from fast bowling.

His 12 wickets in Port Elizabeth ensured a South African win with a day to spare, but it was the batting of Kapil Dev in the second innings that remains in the memory.

He made 129 - the next highest score was 17 - which, along with VVS Laxman's 167 in Sydney and Tiger Pataudi's 148 at Headingley, must rate as among India's best centuries in lost causes.

The key was attack, and there were some of the finest drives you could hope to see on a cricket field. Kapil's generous back-lift and full follow-through sent the fast bowlers boundary-wards, and if you ignored the context for a while - and cricket is famous for elevating a phase of attacking batting or mesmerising bowling above even the result of the match - it was the most exciting counterattack.

None of the top six got to double figures, and when Kapil came in at 27 for 5 his first task was to stem the rot. The next morning he made 96 of 144 playing with an injured right hand. It was thrilling stuff.

On 20/12/2017 at 2:57 AM, Yantra said:

Pravin Amre played a wonderful knock. I remember some of that innings. Think we were 70/4 in that innings and he came to bat. Scores 103.