Where does Bollywood rank (quality wise) among Indian Film Industries (Telugu, Marathi etc)

surajmal

Because of the relatively high budget, Bollywood tries to cater to broader base, which means making movies in the lines of Avengers 

It appears as if many film makers have stopped taking risks. They stick to tested formulas or concepts that have worked in South or other regional markets (which is why you see many South hits being remade as the successful concept reduces risks)

Since Bollywood has captured the broader market, the regional industries esp in North should look to experiment more, take more risks to differentiate their offering 

1 hour ago, velu said:

among south indian industries , malluwood makes more realistic movies ..

technically kollywood and tollywood are ahead because of budget..

financally tollywood might be equal to bollywood..

Are you basing this on one movie; "Bahubali 2" alone? How did you conclude the part in bold font?

Bollywood stars definitely have greater brand recall pan India and also across the globe.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Are you basing this on one movie; "Bahubali 2" alone? How did you conclude the part in bold font?

Bollywood stars definitely have greater brand recall pan India and also across the globe.

compared technical aspects only among southern movies .. cant comment abt bolly movies , last bolly movie that i watched wihout dubbing is kalnayak  :phehehe:

bollywood movies might be  widespread , but you cant beat golts when comes to watching movies .. i worked with few golts and they even watch audio release fucntions in HD live stream ..

anywya even if bolly movies have bigger mkt financially ,  gap between tollywood and bollywood might not be so huge..

Edited by velu

Content wise, historically the Bengali and Mallu film industries have delivered better movies, even the Tamil industry has delivered some great ones. Marathi cinema is rated highly by some of my friends who have good taste in movies but I have only watched 'Court' and am mostly ignorant about their other movies. Honestly none of these can match the Hindi industry in terms of budget cum hype/fanbase/global reach but since OP explicitly mentioned 'quality' I won't digress. Bollywood had great content once upon a time, till the end of the 70s it was high quality but then the quality dipped, only in this decade do you see some resurgence on that front. 

Very difficult to rank the best but Bollywood will be in the top 3 in anyone's list, mainly because of their old classics. Very easy to rank the worst....Kannada cinema. I don't understand why Kannadigas even attempt to make movies !!!!  Watching any Kannada movie is medieval torture. I often have to travel by KSRTC to and forth to Hyderabad/Chennai  and if it is day time, my entire day is screwed thanks to those buggers boring me with another Kannada movie during the bus journey.

Edited by Gollum

Mainstream south movies including Mallu with the advent of Tamil-movie style copied by all four move industries, collectively has gone down since 2000s. It is in a horrible state. At least in Kannada there are some makers who are making offbeat movies  which are watchable. Marathi movies are much better in the last few years, quality wise. Not following Bengali/Punjabi/Gujarati movies so much to comment. 

The mainstream Bollywood or even South  movies suck with big heroes,big budgets etc.

I have seen some good offbeat Hindi movies made once in a while and there have been some good off beat Tamil movies as well(have seen dubbed versions of a couple of them based on friend’s recommendation)....Tollywood movies are crap for the most part....Baahubali films were well made...people say oh the story was routine but so you think if they had gone full game of thrones /Lord Of rings style and content with Baahubali it would have made the money it did in India. In fact it was a story that the masses understood with a good visual and commercial template....we need more such movies.

Films like Baahubali and even Dangal etc show you can make decent  out and out commercial movies.

Howver on topic 99% of Indian cinema is crap...there is no creativity with art,music,stories etc etc everything is copied or should I say “inspired”.

One thing that I particularly don't like with Indian movies on historical figures is that the masala formula is persisted and you end up watching Mahatma Gandhi for e.g. singing and dancing (may be Dhak dhak karne laga) with Kasturba in picturesque South Africa

Bhailog agar asie hi film banani thi toh Mahatma Gandhi ka subject kyun pick kiya :facepalm:

Even Hollywood is giving out garbage movies with all the Avengers and super hero movies.. I was planning on going out for a movie with wife this coming weekend but found nothing interesting.. and we are talking about Prime Holiday Weekend..

Coming back on topic, I been watching some south movies that were dubbed in hindi.. most of them are like super-hero movies where 180 pound guy can throw 250 pound guy 20 feet out.. like Singham and Dabangg sort movies.. i dont understand the reason behind dolling out so many such movies.. Its like non-fiction movie turns into fiction movie all of a sudden. .

45 minutes ago, veer said:

Even Hollywood is giving out garbage movies with all the Avengers and super hero movies.. I was planning on going out for a movie with wife this coming weekend but found nothing interesting.. and we are talking about Prime Holiday Weekend..

The Greatest Showman :dontknow:

There is absolutely no creativity....Music is copied....stories are copied....comedy is

copied...it is not a new thing though. Even the old films and some songs that we look with so much affection are mostly “inspired or copied” only thing is there wasn’t any awareness those days.

What are the groundbreaking movies or musical composition by Indian artists!..Sure there are 1 in a million type example but we either don’t seem

to encourage original work or we just lack creativity.

few years back there was a Karan Johar movie which was supposed to be a remake of Stepmom  movie .....I saw a trailer of this when I went to see

some other movie....I saw few minutes of Stepmom when it was on TV a few years back and it was terrible. 

In Indian movies a guy who dances salsa etc is somehow supposed to be macho(even though gay Latin dancer stereotype exists) but a guy who learns Kathak/bharat natyam etc is portrayed as gay...I have seen oh Jesus,jeez,damn etc used in lingo used in Hindi movies these days .no one talks like that...we see every other song that has sufi,alla,Maula, khwaja sung in a constipated voice catering to other cultures...no this is clearly not even catering to Indian Muslims 

We need to start looking at our own arts and culture instead of getting inspired every where else.

10 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Out of touch with reality..sort of like NDTV

That is the whole point. For many people movies are a break from reality. Where they exist in some make belief land that takes them away from their daily hassles. And its this market that Bollywood taps really well. Has been doing that since ages. An escapist outlet for all the woes of the aam aadmi.

23 hours ago, maniac said:

In Indian movies a guy who dances salsa etc is somehow supposed to be macho(even though gay Latin dancer stereotype exists) but a guy who learns Kathak/bharat natyam etc is portrayed as gay...I have seen oh Jesus,jeez,damn etc used in lingo used in Hindi movies these days .no one talks like that...we see every other song that has sufi,alla,Maula, khwaja sung in a constipated voice catering to other cultures...no this is clearly not even catering to Indian Muslims 

Poor attempt of hinting at a communal bias in an industry where it doesn't really exist.

FYI, Khwaja refers to Moinuddin Chisti aka Khwaja Garib Nawaz; a sufi saint revered mainly by Muslims of the sub-continent. And by many non Muslims too. What are these 'other cultures' that you talk about?

Edited by Mariyam

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Poor attempt of hinting at a communal bias in an industry where it doesn't really exist.

FYI, Khwaja refers to Moinuddin Chisti aka Khwaja Garib Nawaz; a sufi saint revered only by Muslims of the sub-continent. And by many non Muslims too. What are these 'other cultures' that you talk about?

Really? I think otherwise. To each his/her own. 

Edited by Gollum