DRS will be a huge plus for us in this cycle of overseas tours

Gollum

Always felt we were unlucky with umpiring decisions in overseas tours. Even in the last cycle Du Plessis and ABDV would have been dismissed earlier in Jo'berg if only we had DRS. In Durban Kohli would have saved the match but Steyn got him out caught off his shoulder. Similarly in UK, 3rd test Pankaj Singh trapped Ghanta plumb LBW when the latter was on 0, went on to score 175 and we lost. In Australia the bad decisions count was 13-3 in Aus favour at the end of 4 tests, Warner was dismissed more than 10 times in that series IIRC. Rahane was very unlucky back then, got 6-7 bad calls against him, pretty sure there is a thread about his run of bad luck with umpires somewhere in the forum. 

1st time ever we are touring without the axe of bad umpiring looming above our necks. I am relieved because now even if we lose at least I won't feel cheated by officials, it will be solely because of the opposition being better (or less crappy) than us. Last time around whenever Rahane would come out to bat, I would literally be at the end of the chair fearing some bad call. This time around no tension :cool:.

28 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Having DRS is a relief.

Can't forget Southampton.

By the way, if DRS was there, Kohli in 2nd innings of the Wellington test was a goner for single digit.

But then we would have already won the 1st test :p:.

16 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Forgot...what happ in first test reg umpire decisions?

IIRC BMac got lucky in the 1st dig and Rahane was adjudged out wrongly (actually a howler) in the 2nd innings when we were coasting towards victory. 

Edited by Gollum
3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Always felt we were unlucky with umpiring decisions in overseas tours. Even in the last cycle Du Plessis and ABDV would have been dismissed earlier in Jo'berg if only we had DRS. In Durban Kohli would have saved the match but Steyn got him out caught off his shoulder. Similarly in UK, 3rd test Pankaj Singh trapped Ghanta plumb LBW when the latter was on 0, went on to score 175 and we lost. In Australia the bad decisions count was 13-3 in Aus favour at the end of 4 tests, Warner was dismissed more than 10 times in that series IIRC. Rahane was very unlucky back then, got 6-7 bad calls against him, pretty sure there is a thread about his run of bad luck with umpires somewhere in the forum. 

1st time ever we are touring without the axe of bad umpiring looming above our necks. I am relieved because now even if we lose at least I won't feel cheated by officials, it will be solely because of the opposition being better (or less crappy) than us. Last time around whenever Rahane would come out to bat, I would literally be at the end of the chair fearing some bad call. This time around no tension :cool:.

If we had DRS in that 2003 series, we would have won it.  Langer was lbw early in his innings a few times, and so was Ponting IIRC.   But it didn't exist back then.  

Not a 100% sure on this, but I think Irfan had Hayden pinned legbefore in his debut match early as well, but it was a half-hearted appeal from a debutant.  

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Close DRS calls = marginal calls. No one will lose their minds over such calls, only howlers need to be avoided. 

There was a lot of discussion about DRS and third umpires in the ongoing Ashes series over some close calls and over-turned decisions. BBC even had headlines about controversial DRS decisions