Where will VK be ranked amongst Indian test captains if India win an overseas test match under him this year?

He is already up there. Looking at his predecessors,

Sachin/Azhar - Nothing to show. Maybe a series win in SL.

Ganguly - Won a series in Pakistan and a commendable drawn series in Australia.

Dravid - Series wins in England and WI.

Dhoni - Series wins in WI and NZ. Additionally, one hard-fought drawn series in RSA?

Kohli - Already won two series in SL and one in WI. One more series-win in England, RSA, NZ, or Aus would really cement his legacy. Couple more would push him to the very top of list of India's greatest test captains.

If I remember correclty, Kohli also captained two test matches in Australia and both matches were drawn while India lost the other two under Dhoni.

Edited by GolGappe
3 hours ago, GolGappe said:

Dhoni - Series wins in WI and NZ. Additionally, one hard-fought drawn series in RSA?

Kohli - Already won two series in SL and one in WI. One more series-win in England, RSA, NZ, or Aus would really cement his legacy. Couple more would push him to the very top of list of India's greatest test captains.

If I remember correclty, Kohli also captained two test matches in Australia and both matches were drawn while India lost the other two under Dhoni.

The Adelaide test we lost was captained by VK. His positive choice for that leg spinner over Ashwin wasn't fruitful. We lost the next test in Brisbane to debutant Hazlewood

10 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Not accurate 

1st Test - Lost ( Virat)

2nd Test - Lost (Dhoni)

3rd Test - Draw ( Dhoni)

4th Rest - Draw (Virat)

Series ended up 2-0 to AUS

4 hours ago, GolGappe said:

Wasn't some of them under Kumble?

21 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

I want series win in SA or Australia. I think we can win atleast at one place. I think in England it will be almost impossible to win as we aren't good against swing bowling. 

we have won before in Eng so its tough but not impossible. Our pacers must make the ball talk as much as the english pacers do. 

Apart from that SA and Aus are our final frontier. Whichever captaaan delivers them will be in my eyes the best Indian captain there ever was.

He's on course to becoming the most successful Indian Test captain in terms of wins. Surely by the end of the next home cycle. Already has 20 wins under his belt with 3 losses (Aus 2, 1 SRL). The record is Dhoni with 27.

If we manage to draw the next three overseas tours or lose, win and draw 1 series each, he'll do his legacy no harm. I think drawing the next three overseas series would be a serious achievement.