R Ashwin, now a legspinner too?

puneet28

"Since he had that control over his spin and his ability and his body, he didn't get confused. He had the confidence that he can get back to offspin whenever required. And he could do that."

VRS Guru Kedarnath on R Ashwin's efforts at learning legspin

Full article

This was the last thing I would want from Ashwin. At times he goes for too many things that he forgets to concentrate on his off spin. 

9 hours ago, maniac said:

He can improve his offspin overseas,his batting which has been sucking lately,his problems with fielding and fitness.....so before learning a new "skill" it will help if he can focus on all the other things

I think Ashwin will go the Wasim Akram way - has talent to bat well as a lower order batsman, but is simply not interested in honing his batting skill as much as he is focussed 110% on being the best bowler he can be. Same as Akram. 

On 24/12/2017 at 11:42 AM, Gollum said:

Ashwin doesn't deserve all the brickbats he is getting for no issues. Without him we would never have swept away all teams in the last 3 years, if we lose in SA 0-3 we will still be no 1....you can thank Ashwin for the cushion we have got over no 2. 

Exactly , he is a dooer than talker and we should appreciate his dedication and devotion towards game.

The problem with this experimentation is he might lose his grip, action ,release points and loop on his offspin.It also means he is not sure if his offspin might be effective in SA and other places???

We are already seeing  after effects of this ? he has not been the same since Chennai test in 2016.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

I don't see Ash starting in SA but he will play in England. May be in his county stint he noticed something based on his experience there. 

Think VK will pick him ahead of Jaddu even in SA. As to whether it's the right decision is another story altogether