India vs Sri Lanka - 3rd T20I (N) at Mumbai, Dec 24 2017

puneet28

Big picture

Sri Lanka keep offering gifts this festive season, and India keep lapping it up. Their bowlers regularly send down half-volleys and half-trackers, wrapped up in ribbons. Their batting line-up continues to suffer rapid collapses. And their fielders keep missing chances. The only gift Sri Lanka have received in return was a spring-loaded boxing glove from an under-strength Indian side. Can Thisara Perera and his men end the tour with something to cheer?

To do that they need to first figure out the right combination, and Angelo Mathews' getting injured can't have helped. In the first T20I, they went for four batsmen, three seam-bowling allrounders and four bowlers, and suffered their worst loss in the format. In the second match, they brought in an extra batsman in Sadeera Samarawickrama for a frontline seamer in Vishwa Fernando, but still lost 9 for 27 in 25 balls.

With the series in the bag, India might consider giving a T20I debut to Tamil Nadu allrounder Washington Sundar or Baroda allrounder Deepak Hooda. This could also be a chance for the other IPL candidates to enhance their reputation ahead of the mega auction in January next year.

Team news

India might consider replacing one of the wristspinners with Sundar or Hooda. Kerala quick Basil Thampi is also in line for his T20I debut, possibly in place of Jaydev Unadkat

India (probable): 1 Rohit Sharma (capt), 2 KL Rahul, 3 Shreyas Iyer, 4 Dinesh Karthik, 5 Manish Pandey, 6 MS Dhoni (wk), 7 Hardik Pandya, 8 Kuldeep Yadav/Washington Sundar, 9 Jaydev Unadkat/Basil Thampi, 10 Jasprit Bumrah, 11 Yuzvendra Chahal.

With Mathews sidelined for two weeks, Sri Lanka might recall Dasun Shanaka or Fernando.

Sri Lanka (probable): 1 Upul Tharanga, 2 Niroshan Dickwella(wk), 3 Kusal Perera, 4 Sadeera Samarawickrama, 5 Thisara Perera, 6 Asela Gunaratne, 7 Dasun Shanaka/Vishwa Fernando, 8 Akila Dananjaya, 9 Chaturanga de Silva/Sachith Pathirana 10 Dushmantha Chameera 11 Nuwan Pradeep

I would like to see Hooda, Sundar and Thampi instead of Karthick, Pandeya and Bumrah. 

2 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

If Basil Hooda and Sundar all three do not get chance in this match then Rohit will be as worse as Kohli as captain. 

Series already won

Opponent is SL

What more reason do you want?

I’d say if Rohit opens the innings, that’s the worst thing. 

The middle order never gets exposed and has an easy excuse that they didn’t get enough time in the middle.

With the series won, open with Iyer and Rahul, get DK and Pandey to play at 3,4 to expose what they can do (although we know the answer), play Rohit at 5 and Dhoni at 6.

Get Sundar for Kuldeep and Thampi or Siraj for Bumrah

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I rest my case :winky:.

Let me explain..Misunderstanding here:p: If karthik is given a chance he ll cement his place by scoring some dashing runs on dead rubber.. ( he already removed pant when he was given a chance by scoring dashing runs in WI  ) .. Now he is on a mission to replace people in ODIs..This ll exclude pandey/Iyer or someone else in ODIs.

#4 #6 Its still open:bow:

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli 

Dhoni

Pandya

SL were very poor on the field in 2nd t20. Also lot of their players are chubby &  half of their side looks in a very bad shape.

Angelo Mathews is a prime example, every now and then he gets injured. Calf injuries has troubled him time & again along with the hamstrings.

I really don't understand what Nick Pothas and co. tried with this unfit lot.