MS Dhoni Set To Continue Till 2019 World Cup, Says Chief Selector MSK Prasad

Chairman of selectors MSK Prasad on Saturday made it clear that Mahendra Singh Dhoni is set to continue till the 2019 World Cup as some of the younger keepers, who have been tried, have not performed on expected lines. Prasad's views seemed to suggest that Delhi captain Rishabh Pant has now fallen off the radar quite sharply with the second keeper in limited overs being 32-year-old Dinesh Karthik.

Asked if they are looking at Dhoni on a series by series basis, Prasad said: "We are grooming some wicketkeepers during India A tours. But more or less, we have fixed up (our) minds till the World Cup (on continuing with Dhoni) and after that at later stages we will start grooming some of those (wicket-keepers)."

"I think MS Dhoni still remains the No 1 wicket-keeper in the world and day in and day out we have been saying this. In the current T20 series (against Sri Lanka), the stumpings he has effected and caught-behind he has taken are phenomenal," Prasad was effusive in his praise.

"There is no comparison and I don't see any wicket-keeper, who can even come closer to him in world cricket, leave alone Indian Cricket," his statement more or less sealed the fate of all young keepers till the 2019 World Cup.

What Prasad said after that would be pretty disturbing for the likes of Pant and Sanju Samson, who are next in line.

"Let me tell you frankly, those boys still are not up to the level as what we would have expected. We will still be giving them chances on India A tours and see that they are nurtured," Prasad, himself a former India stumper, said.

"I think MS Dhoni still remains the No 1 wicket-keeper in the world and day in and day out we have been saying this. In the current T20 series (against Sri Lanka), the stumpings he has effected and caught-behind he has taken are phenomenal," Prasad was effusive in his praise.

"There is no comparison and I don't see any wicket-keeper, who can even come closer to him in world cricket, leave alone Indian Cricket," his statement more or less sealed the fate of all young keepers till the 2019 World Cup.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Inevitable. The real apocalypse will come when this buffoon announces that Rahane and Karthik are confirmed for the 2019 WC.

What makes you think they haven't made it just yet? :p: 

Rahane as backup opener

Dinesh as backup keeper

Will bump ll this thread before 2019 WC.. :bow: 

23 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

What Prasad said after that would be pretty disturbing for the likes of Pant and Sanju Samson, who are next in line.

"Let me tell you frankly, those boys still are not up to the level as what we would have expected. We will still be giving them chances on India A tours and see that they are nurtured," Prasad, himself a former India stumper, said

@Vilander we are discussing yesterday.. look :p: even msk joins Dravid and kumble..

3 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

They wouldn't play in RSA.. since Dhawan,Rohit and Dhoni ll be in starting XI.. WC in England. RSA doesn't matter :p:

Rahane may sit out if Dhawan and Rohit don't suck completely. Karthik is playing ODIs even with Dhoni in the XI though. But then again these bastards may replace Karthik with Parthiv so...

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Rahane may sit out if Dhawan and Rohit don't suck completely. Karthik is playing ODIs even with Dhoni in the XI though. But then again these bastards may replace Karthik with Parthiv so...

Karthik is playing because Kohli isn't there.. If he plays breaking all the odds then the whole "he is in the team to make Dhoni look good" theory ll be discarded..:p:

I expect this 

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli

Iyer

DHONI

Kedar

Pandya

2 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Karthik is playing because Kohli isn't there.. If he plays breaking all the odds then the whole "he is in the team to make Dhoni look good" theory ll be discarded..:p:

I expect this 

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli

Iyer

DHONI

Kedar

Pandya

Yeah forgot about that. Although time is running out for Kedar as well. He's been poor after looking really good in the home series against England. More than making Dhoni look good KKD keeps potentially better backups like Samson and Pant out. In any way the ODIs are some way away. In all this mess, it's amazing how Iyer has gotten a nice little run even though he started off with a poor 23(21) knock in a T20I on a patta. The Cornerstone connection working wonders there.