What is your first recollection of Cricket?

Laaloo

I don't remember my first match. I read about an ODI match in which Gough took 5-fer (Aug 1997) in a newspaper. That was first time I came to know about cricket.

I remember a match between India and WI and since I had no idea what WI meant, all I thought it is world v India match, so unfair to our players.

Sachin scoring 141 and getting out while attempting that 2nd run was unforgettable. I had no memory of what happened in match. 

The match in which India scored 179 runs against Sri Lanka and in reply Lankans were bowled out for 98. I remember most part of 2nd inning. Srinath started aggresively. Loud appeal for LBW on first ball and next ball Sanath was bowled. 2.2 overs 2 runs 2 wickets,that looked quite interesting. Agarkar was MoM.

Match against Zimbabwe in which SRT scored 124 and Ganguly 63 while chasing and I was like how come Ganguly managed only half of SRT's runs. Now I know it was final. 

By that time I had started watching ODIs regularly. 

How did people manage to watch tests. I could watch tests only for 2 hours earlier first and last hour telecast on DD1. Was there any channel back then showing whole day? 

1999 WC

Ganguly and Dravid's mammoth partnership against Lanka.

India's match against which was interrupted with rain and Sachin got out on something around 22.

Prasad winning it for India with 5 wicket haul. That was special for me. 8 year old guy in a small town watching match with parents at night. I can still recall some scenes when India won and I was overjoyed. We defended 227. 

India's collapse against Australia and fight back by Jadeja and Robin Singh. I was so excited those days that with every four, I used to go out and call my sister from balcony to come upstairs and watch match because Jadeja and Robin were playing good. Then Tom Moody broke the partnership and we lost it afterwards. Hopes of a child were shattered. 

Those were golden days. Every body used to connect with team India. Losing a big tournament was like loss of whole nation. It wasn't like those shameless laughs after humiliating loss in CT2017 (Kohli and co. should understand that being friendly with opposition and being shameless are two different things). I understand cricket much better now, watch almost every match, but it's not that exciting anymore due to some lame decisions of team management, too many matches with Sri Lanka, batsman friendly game, poor media etc. 

Even though I started watching cricket much earlier and have some recollection of hearing about the Reliance Cup 1987, my first "real" recollection of watching a cricket game and following a tournament properly was the 1992 World Cup where we played like cr@p and the only positive part, which I remember watching was beating Pak. I was so livid when we fell agonisingly close to beating Australia in that tournament and I remember being very disappointed in the rain rule that reduced our overs chasing but didn't reduce enough runs. 

The Titan Cup match against Aus where Kumble and Srinath had a big 8th wicket partnership to get us through. Although I don't remember exactly I have some recollection of the 1996 WC group matches, esp the NZ-Aus match where both Harris and Mark Waugh got 100s. During the knockout stage of that WC I was holidaying in Darjeeling and Gangtok with my family, remember my dad with his radio during that trip. 

13 minutes ago, YCCC said:

Early 2000s will have been around the time of my first Yorkshire game. Started playing around that time too. Believe it or not I'm a lot younger than I probably appear from my comments and persona on here, I'm only 25 :biggrin:

God, I thought you were a 60 year old or something :thinking:...... Merry Christmas to you.