Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SK_IH

KL Rahul at no.3-option worth exploring?

Recommended Posts

Dont want to imply that Puajra should be dropped but I like the option of having an aggressive no.3 specially this overseas leg and in general as well .Pujara is a great already when it comes to sub continent but I dont trust his modus operandi when going abroad,the method of blunting attacks and just surviving is sometimes dangerous in conditions where you are never in.Earlier, team management flirted with idea when they played Hitman at no.3 but clearly he doesnt have what it takes to play that high in test cricket,so I think in current scenario Rahul is best option we have for that slot and doing so he can be part of the XI as well,which atm he is not part of (shockingly).So batting order could be:

Dhawan

Vijay

Rahul

Kohli

Pujara

Rahane

Rohit/Pandya

 

Obviously nothing gonna happen,but idea worth exploring.

Edited by SK_IH

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

why :noidea:

I'm sorry. I though a simple no would be a sufficient answer. 

After the openers have been blown away by Rabada, you need someone to pitch a tent in the middle. Hence, Pujara is the only option at that spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, surajmal said:

I'm sorry. I though a simple no would be a sufficient answer. 

After the openers have been blown away by Rabada, you need someone to pitch a tent in the middle. Hence, Pujara is the only option at that spot.  

ok i have my doubts about method of just stayng and blocking everything up front

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, maniac said:

I like the option of Rahul at 3 when Dhawan is our opener 

Where would you fit Pujara then? You are dropping him? Pujara will be ineffective late down the order for overseas tours as tail doesn’t last as long there to support Pujara. It can work in India where tail also scores and can bat long with Pujara but not away from home. 

 

Why should we change something which has been working anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

HE is an opener.........wht hayden or cook we have in our team that we have to adjust him at some other player. Adjusting a player natural position for someone lesser :phehe:

kaptaan kohli loves dhawan,thats why :noidea:

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Where would you fit Pujara then? You are dropping him? Pujara will be ineffective late down the order for overseas tours as tail doesn’t last as long there to support Pujara. It can work in India where tail also scores and can bat long with Pujara but not away from home. 

 

Why should we change something which has been working anyway. 

We need an additional opener overseas....Pujara 4 Kohli 5 works for me.... Pujara will either shut down shop and get a 30(170) or get out early overseas based on the trend I have seen him so far overseas.

 

Even Rahane has had success overseas so far because he is somewhat counter attacking in his back to the wall innings.

 

Rahul is a natural stroke maker and has better technique than Dhawan. Howver since Dhawan is the preferred choice either you will get a good attacking start from him or he will be back really early. Vijay and Pujara are too similar. Overseas I think Vijay plays a better % cricket than Pujara.

 

 

 

 

Edited by maniac

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t mind dropping Rohit to accommodate Rahul...will shock some but that is ok..,but here is the deal...Dhawan,Rahane and Pandya  and even to some extent Vijay and Pujara are all suckers who will find way to fk up and will make way for the king of Kings some time or the other and as we know by know when the king gets angry and motivated records tumble like 16 6s, highest odi score,2 t20i 100s ,IPL hat trick,fastest T20i 100,WC qf Mom,CT sf mom and the latest addition to my armory 3 200s.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

will rohit play or pandya,thats another question worth debating?

 

You have included Rohit / Pandya at 7 in the OP

 

That won't happen

 

There will either be 5 batters + Pandya      or 6 batters ...    then Saha, 1 Spinner , 3 quicks

 

As Shastri has confirmed that Vijay and Dhawan are opening, the only way for Rahul to play is replacing Rohit or Hardik  ( first he has to play ...  only then the issue of his batting position arises )

 

Choosing 6th batsman  vs Pandya should depend on the pitch.   Flat pitch would need extra bowler and seaming track would need extra batsman.

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, maniac said:

I don’t mind dropping Rohit to accommodate Rahul...will shock some but that is ok..,but here is the deal...Dhawan,Rahane and Pandya  and even to some extent Vijay and Pujara are all suckers who will find way to fk up and will make way for the king of Kings some time or the other and as we know by know when the king gets angry and motivated records tumble like 16 6s, highest odi score,2 t20i 100s ,IPL hat trick,fastest T20i 100,WC qf Mom,CT sf mom and the latest addition to my armory 3 200s.

Just as when I had started enjoying your posts...

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, express bowling said:

You have included Rohit / Pandya at 7 in the OP

 

That won't happen

 

There will either be 5 batters + Pandya      or 6 batters ...    then Saha, 1 Spinner , 3 quicks

 

As Shastri has confirmed that Vijay and Dhawan are opening, the only way for Rahul to play is replacing Rohit or Hardik  ( first he has to play ...  only then the issue of his batting position arises )

 

Choosing 6th batsman  vs Pandya should depend on the pitch.   Flat pitch would need extra bowler and seaming track would need extra batsman.

i guessed,having invested so much in pandya,he will be a certainty in the xi.

Share this post


Link to post

Pujara is the best option at 3 as he can protect middle order from new ball. runs are not much important at that point. runs will come later in the day if we don;t expose middle order to new ball. if rahul is to be played, he should replace rohit at 6. since he is a test opener, he can be used to negotiate second new ball as well.

Edited by renjith

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, renjith said:

Pujara is the best option at 3 as he can protect middle order from new ball. runs are not much important at that point. runs will come later in the day if we don;t expose middle order to new ball. if rahul is to be played, he should replace rohit at 6. since he is a test opener, he can be used to negotiate second new ball as well.

i dont like this theory ,runs are always important in cricket,cricket is all about scoring runs n taking wickets

 

there is no guarantee runs will come later in the day,there can be another scenario,you dont score anything for a session ,you go nowhere and suddenly lose two wkts and you are in trouble

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

i dont like this theory ,runs are always important in cricket,cricket is all about scoring runs n taking wickets

 

there is no guarantee runs will come later in the day,there can be another scenario,you dont score anything for a session ,you go nowhere and suddenly lose two wkts and you are in trouble

Did you watch the last 2 tests in UK 2014? If our top 4 can't grind it out we will get many sub 100 scores. What will you prefer 60/2 in 30 overs or 120/6 in 30 overs? In UK and SA survival at the top is more important than quick runs, in Aus it is a different matter altogether. Remember Durban 2010 and Jo'berg 2006...how much we restrained our stroke play while batting, we need to be very gritty next month. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

i dont like this theory ,runs are always important in cricket,cricket is all about scoring runs n taking wickets

 

there is no guarantee runs will come later in the day,there can be another scenario,you dont score anything for a session ,you go nowhere and suddenly lose two wkts and you are in trouble

both strategies have advantages and disadvantages. but considering indian batting line ups history of collapses against quality bowling line ups and seam/bounce friendly picthes, its more logical to go for the defensive tactic atleast in the first 20 overs. for that particular reason pujara is better suited than rahul.

 

imo, if we can avoid batting collapses upfront, we have good chance of winning in south africa.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Did you watch the last 2 tests in UK 2014? If our top 4 can't grind it out we will get many sub 100 scores. What will you prefer 60/2 in 30 overs or 120/6 in 30 overs? In UK and SA survival at the top is more important than quick runs, in Aus it is a different matter altogether. Remember Durban 2010 and Jo'berg 2006...how much we restrained our stroke play while batting, we need to be very gritty next month. 

 

13 minutes ago, renjith said:

both strategies have advantages and disadvantages. but considering indian batting line ups history of collapses against quality bowling line ups and seam/bounce friendly picthes, its more logical to go for the defensive tactic atleast in the first 20 overs. for that particular reason pujara is better suited than rahul.

 

imo, if we can avoid batting collapses upfront, we have good chance of winning in south africa.

see the point of playing rahul at 3 is two fold ,firstly will get him in the xi,which is essential,its a sick joke that one of our better test batsman will be on bench on the start of the tour

secondly,i think playing attacking cricket always has advantages ,by attacking doesnt mean you have to slog ,play normal cricket,respect good balls but with a mindset to score runs as well,which i somehow dont expect pujara to do

 

vijay

dhawan

rahul

kohli

pujara

another batsman/pandya

doing this pujara will be sandwiched between kohli and two more capable batsman ,i think this combo is worth trying

 

Share this post


Link to post

No but in ODIs Rahul should bat at 3. Considering 2019 WC will be in England, the ball will swing and no.3 is little too high for Kohli if we lose an early wicket.

Dhawan
Rohit
Rahul
Kohli
Iyer/Jadhav/Panday/Raina
Dhoni
Pandya

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×