KL Rahul at no.3-option worth exploring?

SK_IH

Dont want to imply that Puajra should be dropped but I like the option of having an aggressive no.3 specially this overseas leg and in general as well .Pujara is a great already when it comes to sub continent but I dont trust his modus operandi when going abroad,the method of blunting attacks and just surviving is sometimes dangerous in conditions where you are never in.Earlier, team management flirted with idea when they played Hitman at no.3 but clearly he doesnt have what it takes to play that high in test cricket,so I think in current scenario Rahul is best option we have for that slot and doing so he can be part of the XI as well,which atm he is not part of (shockingly).So batting order could be:

Dhawan

Vijay

Rahul

Kohli

Pujara

Rahane

Rohit/Pandya

Obviously nothing gonna happen,but idea worth exploring.

Edited by SK_IH
18 minutes ago, surajmal said:

I'm sorry. I though a simple no would be a sufficient answer. 

After the openers have been blown away by Rabada, you need someone to pitch a tent in the middle. Hence, Pujara is the only option at that spot.  

ok i have my doubts about method of just stayng and blocking everything up front

1 minute ago, maniac said:

I like the option of Rahul at 3 when Dhawan is our opener 

Where would you fit Pujara then? You are dropping him? Pujara will be ineffective late down the order for overseas tours as tail doesn’t last as long there to support Pujara. It can work in India where tail also scores and can bat long with Pujara but not away from home. 

Why should we change something which has been working anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Where would you fit Pujara then? You are dropping him? Pujara will be ineffective late down the order for overseas tours as tail doesn’t last as long there to support Pujara. It can work in India where tail also scores and can bat long with Pujara but not away from home. 

Why should we change something which has been working anyway. 

We need an additional opener overseas....Pujara 4 Kohli 5 works for me.... Pujara will either shut down shop and get a 30(170) or get out early overseas based on the trend I have seen him so far overseas.

Even Rahane has had success overseas so far because he is somewhat counter attacking in his back to the wall innings.

Rahul is a natural stroke maker and has better technique than Dhawan. Howver since Dhawan is the preferred choice either you will get a good attacking start from him or he will be back really early. Vijay and Pujara are too similar. Overseas I think Vijay plays a better % cricket than Pujara.

Edited by maniac