Sachin's 241 not out vs Cook's 244 not out -Which is better?

SK_IH

Which innings is better?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which innings is better?

• Sachin's 241 not out
    • Cook's 244 not out

As the title says.I am reading lot of over the top praise for Cook's innings ,when the fact is it is being played when the series is gone and so redundant in context of the series..

Sachin's innings of comparative score comes to mind,played in same country but when the series was evenly placed and the pressure was still on. Sachin's innings considering the circumstance was far better than this innings of Cook.

Sachin's inns. India was on the verge of creating history by being the first Asian team  in AUS  to win a series there.Sachin who was under tremendous pressure to score(being terribly out of form) rose to the occasion so emphatically.And Sachin's inns came against a slightly better attack.More over that was an Asian batsman scoring a double in AUS(spinning conditions) which is more difficult compared to an English man(coming from far more similar conditions).Cook too was out of form, but the series was already lost is the key issue here

54 minutes ago, Gollum said:

2004 Sydney Aus bowling attack was pedestrian, Cook's marginally ahead even though it came in a dead rubber. 

how that attack was pedestrian with lee, Gillepsie and McGill. Both attack has/had 3 good bowlers. Bird is ordinary and Cummins too looked tired in this game. So, this game Aussie had only three good bowlers in Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon while Cummins looked like playing with some niggle.

15 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

Sachin's inns. India was on the verge of creating history by being the first Asian team  in AUS  to win a series there.Sachin who was under tremendous pressure to score(being terribly out of form) rose to the occasion so emphatically.And Sachin's inns came against a slightly better attack.More over that was an Asian batsman scoring a double in AUS(spinning conditions) which is more difficult compared to an English man(coming from far more similar conditions).Cook too was out of form, but the series was already lost is the key issue here

Most of the times we give less credit for a subcontinent batsman playing well in subcontinent saying that they are home pitches etc. Cook doing well in Australia too is similar when there is no bounce in the pitch.

41 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Most of the times we give less credit for a subcontinent batsman playing well in subcontinent saying that they are home pitches etc. Cook doing well in Australia too is similar when there is no bounce in the pitch.

yes.. the reason might be that all the countries are very near to one another.On the other hand, with AUS,ENG,SAF,NZL it is not so the

case except AUS/NZL. But yet it can't be denied that 'generally being fast friendly' is the trait in these countries just as ' spin friendly' is the case with sub continental nations

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

how that attack was pedestrian with lee, Gillepsie and McGill. Both attack has/had 3 good bowlers. Bird is ordinary and Cummins too looked tired in this game. So, this game Aussie had only three good bowlers in Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon while Cummins looked like playing with some niggle.

2 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

Lee and Gillespie Pedistrian ? Hate statement ?

I meant what I said. Gillespie came back from an injury and struggled with fitness throughout that match. Lee was a **** test bowler back then, he only improved in the 2005-06 period...great white ball bowler though. Macgill was awful against us, always soiled his pants against half decent playrs of spin. This attack has Hazlewood (modern avatar of Mcgrath), Cummins (already better than Blonde Lee LOL ) and Lyon (number one spinner this year).  Bracken was a worse red ball bowler than Mitchell Marsh :phehe:, forget Bird. That 2003 Aussie team had a brilliant batting line up but with no Mcgrath-Warne and an unfit Gillespie that was a piss poor bowling attack. A fully fit Aussie bowling line up came back to India the same year and showed us how lucky we were in our tour there. 

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

2004 Sydney Aus bowling attack was pedestrian, Cook's marginally ahead even though it came in a dead rubber. 

I see that Bot upvoted you, your 

accout got hacked by  malware Bot @Rasgulla or what?? :phehe: On any given day that bowling attack is not pedestrian my friend especially McGill on Sydney wicket which always offer some turn , the guy is most underrated spinner in the history of cricket its sad that he had to compete with legend Shane warne for spot otherwise  would have went down as one of the greatest in the history.

2 hours ago, speedheat said:

Look at the bowling attack of Australia when sachin scored 241, Lee Gillespie bracken and mcgil so sachin for me, and for cooks inning I have only one answer NO STARC!!! 

Bhai Starc is a theek thaak red cherry bowler, nothing suggests he will get into the ATG category there. In the famous 2003 series the legendary Mcgrath, perennial nemesis of Indian cricket, didn't play a single match. And I think even you will agree that Mcgrath is a contender for the GOAT pace bowler. And in spite of being a Sachin bhakt I admit that Mcgrath had a grip over him his entire career, I have never been more scared of another bowler against our batsmen. 

29 minutes ago, Anoop K said:

Sachin total made 241+60 = 301 not out in that match. We were on verge of victory but steve waugh did not let it happen. Sachin like cook too was out of form. It wasnt a dead rubber and we were close to a historical victory after his innings.

More than that Parthiv dropped Gillespie at  the most crucial stage of that match.Ganguly's tactics of declaring too early didn't help either.With India placed at  650/5 at the  start of 3rd day morning  and Sachin,Parthiv,Irfan,Kumble & Agarkar to bat, the need of the hour was to bat on  as long as possible with out any pressure. But Australia just about escaped because of the above drawbacks .

1 minute ago, speedheat said:

I see that Bot upvoted you, your 

accout got hacked by  malware Bot @Rasgulla or what?? :phehe: On any given day that bowling attack is not pedestrian my friend especially McGill on Sydney wicket which always offer some turn , the guy is most underrated spinner in the history of cricket its sad that he had to compete with legend Shane warne for spot otherwise  would have went down as one of the greatest in the history.

Macgill is over rated who could never step up to be a lead bowler. He was a good side kick of Warne but whenever he had to bowl alone, he flunked. Lyon on the other hand is a lead spinner who can win test matches alone with no support. Lyon has made great strides this year and I won't hesitate to call him the greatest gora spinner since Warne's retirement, atm he and Swann are equal for me but if Lyon keeps this up for another 1-2 years he will surpass even Swann.