Sachin's 241 not out vs Cook's 244 not out -Which is better?

SK_IH

Which innings is better?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which innings is better?

• Sachin's 241 not out
    • Cook's 244 not out

Sachin and its easy. Comparable bowling attack, comparable lack of form from both players in concern, but decisive reason : series was alive. This alone makes a huge difference, period. Dead rubber knocks are just that- dead rubber knocks when the winning team often doesn't go for the kill/is tired from giving it all + celebrating the win (emotional energy wise). 

I see serious hate for English players (bar KP) on this forum. I admit they can rub the feathers the wrong way as far as attitude/behavior is concerned but let us give credit where due. Guys like Cook, Anderson, Swann and to a lesser extent Bell, Broad, Strauss, Root, Prior, Stokes, Trott are all high quality players. Just because they massacred us in the 2011-14 period, no need to be so bitter because we were also in transition and led by an inept person. The losses Eng inflicted on us in that 3 year period hurt me more than anything but that is the cycle of cricket, we gave them back a 4-0 last year when we were in top form with a peaking young team. Cook I know is close to SRT's record but I don't think he will overtake that tally.

Another thing I have noticed here is whenever someone gets near SRT's record that person (Ponting, Sanga, Kallis, Cook) automatically becomes the subject of hate here. Cook has the unfortunate distinction of being in that situation now and hence the constant undermining of his career. Let us not be so bitter, just because someone gets more runs than SRT does not mean they are better batsmen, what SRT did in the 90s is something only 2-3 in the entire history of cricket are capable of doing, none from the current era are that proficient. So many people have surpassed Viv in the ODIs run tally, does that mean the King is inferior to these 4 dozen batsmen ?

Edited by Gollum
11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Bhai Starc is a theek thaak red cherry bowler, nothing suggests he will get into the ATG category there. In the famous 2003 series the legendary Mcgrath, perennial nemesis of Indian cricket, didn't play a single match. And I think even you will agree that Mcgrath is a contender for the GOAT pace bowler. And in spite of being a Sachin bhakt I admit that Mcgrath had a grip over him his entire career, I have never been more scared of another bowler against our batsmen. 

I agree with McGrath part and how tendulkar struggled against him but the thing is starch got cook twice or thrice in this series cook must have really felt relaxed by not seeing him in this match and on top of that its a flat track so he  had to deal with only haz and Cummins as potential threats considering Lyon is not as effective on flat tracks and you really can't compare this dull Aussie side to that great Australian team who were just pack of hawks ready to conceal its talons to thrash its opposition so its  sachins 241 for me 

17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I meant what I said. Gillespie came back from an injury and struggled with fitness throughout that match. Lee was a **** test bowler back then, he only improved in the 2005-06 period...great white ball bowler though. Macgill was awful against us, always soiled his pants against half decent playrs of spin. This attack has Hazlewood (modern avatar of Mcgrath), Cummins (already better than Blonde Lee LOL ) and Lyon (number one spinner this year).  Bracken was a worse red ball bowler than Mitchell Marsh :phehe:, forget Bird. That 2003 Aussie team had a brilliant batting line up but with no Mcgrath-Warne and an unfit Gillespie that was a piss poor bowling attack. A fully fit Aussie bowling line up came back to India the same year and showed us how lucky we were in our tour there. 

Came back from  injury or not, has was fit enough to play in the match .Lee was more or less the same bowler,Mcgill awful means India played him well.A fully fit Aussie line up too got lucky in that 2004 tour because 1st test got washed out on the last day  where Aussies would have most probably lost.And in Nagpur they got one of the bounciest pitches for their liking.

1 minute ago, speedheat said:

I agree with McGrath part and how tendulkar struggled against him but the thing is starch got cook twice or thrice in this series cook must have really felt relaxed by not seeing him in this match and on top of that its a flat track so he  had to deal with only haz and Cummins as potential threats considering Lyon is not as effective on flat tracks and you really can't compare this dull Aussie side to that great Australian team who were just pack of hawks ready to conceal its talons to thrash its opposition so its  sachins 241 for me 

SRT must have been as much relieved at not facing Mcgrath as Cook over here or may be even more, so that should cancel out. I think you are underestimating Lyon's bowling but it's ok, we needn't agree on everything, otherwise what's the point of a forum? I said Cook's innings is better but only marginally, you believe SRT's is better...let us agree to disagree on this matter :icflove:.

2 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

Came back from  injury or not, has was fit enough to play in the match .Lee was more or less the same bowler,Mcgill awful means India played him well.A fully fit Aussie line up too got lucky in that 2004 tour because 1st test got washed out on the last day  where Aussies would have most probably lost.And in Nagpur they got one of the bounciest pitches for their liking.

Gillespie trundled along in SCG, I watched that match ball by ball. Lee was pathetic back then, Macgill never scared me like Lyon these days. Aussies weren't lucky in 2004, we were lucky to escape with 1-2 when they could have won 3-1 if not for last day washout in Chepauk. 

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Gillespie trundled along in SCG, I watched that match ball by ball. Lee was pathetic back then, Macgill never scared me like Lyon these days. Aussies weren't lucky in 2004, we were lucky to escape with 1-2 when they could have won 3-1 if not for last day washout in Chepauk. 

Lee had 135 wickets in 36 test before that SCG test. he was not crap by any means.  The only thing was that he was coming back from a long injury lay off after WC 2003.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

I meant what I said. Gillespie came back from an injury and struggled with fitness throughout that match. Lee was a **** test bowler back then, he only improved in the 2005-06 period...great white ball bowler though. Macgill was awful against us, always soiled his pants against half decent playrs of spin. This attack has Hazlewood (modern avatar of Mcgrath), Cummins (already better than Blonde Lee LOL ) and Lyon (number one spinner this year).  Bracken was a worse red ball bowler than Mitchell Marsh :phehe:, forget Bird. That 2003 Aussie team had a brilliant batting line up but with no Mcgrath-Warne and an unfit Gillespie that was a piss poor bowling attack. A fully fit Aussie bowling line up came back to India the same year and showed us how lucky we were in our tour there. 

Your analysis is fine but if you start discounting bowlers saying they were not in the best of forms then you would only be left to remembering marquee series like ashes 2005 , ind AUS 2001 etc.. England's victory over us in 2012 was against an aged batting lineup, inexperienced bowlers? English rank that win pretty high.

1 minute ago, Vk1 said:

Your analysis is fine but if you start discounting bowlers saying they were not in the best of forms then you would only be left to remembering marquee series like ashes 2005 , ind AUS 2001 etc.. England's victory over us in 2012 was against an aged batting lineup, inexperienced bowlers? English rank that win pretty high.

I am stating my pov. I rate SRT's 241 very highly, in my 1st post in this thread I just said that IMO Cook's is marginally better. I am not downplaying anything. I honestly believe both were top achievements and I have a personal preference. I don't mind if people rate SRT''s 241 higher. 

4 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Same Cummins has been equally pedestrian this game, trundling most of the time.

6 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Hazlewood and Cummins are better bowlers.

Lyon and McGill are at same level.

Cummins is not better than Brett Lee at the same stage. Cummins has 32 wickets after 8 tests at an average of 27. Brett Lee at 42 wickets in his first 7 tests at an average of 16. Brett Lee had started with a bang in test cricket.

Edited by rkt.india
9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am stating my pov. I rate SRT's 241 very highly, in my 1st post in this thread I just said that IMO Cook's is marginally better. I am not downplaying anything. I honestly believe both were top achievements and I have a personal preference. I don't mind if people rate SRT''s 241 higher. 

you probably did not even watch SRT's innings.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Cummins is not better than Brett Lee at the same stage. Cummins has 32 wickets after 8 tests at an average of 27. Brett Lee at 42 wickets in his first 7 tests at an average of 16. Brett Lee had started with a bang in test cricket.

Yeah.These Aussie bowlers minus Starc do seem pedestrian at times. Especially Hazlewood and Lyon.