The Unpopular Cricket Opinions Thread

Gollum

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

So ABDV who fails in semi finals is unlucky and not a choker but Sachin wins man of the matches in quarters and semis and big games but he is a choker...are these unpopular opinions or Gollum’s biased opinions?

Just FYI  Sachin’s Bowling in the  2001 Eden test was a major factor between a tame draw and India winning...even though yes I agree that moment belonged to VVS-Dravid even though Sachin contributed in his own way.

Agree on Afridi-decent LOI cricketer overhyped by fans.

ABDV played a blinder in the 2015 WC SF and if not for the rotten luck with the rain he was on course towards delivering a knock for the ages. Unlike Kohli ABDV has a stellar WC record, in that sense it isn't right to call him a choker. In tests ABDV has been very clutch. He isn't a choker like say an Amla. 

In my post about Sachin I did not call him a complete choker. I don't think he is as bad as some haters make it out to be but you must remember when we are talking about him we are comparing him to ATGs like Bradman, Viv, Lara, Ponting etc. Ofc compared to lesser players he will mostly shine but when you consider the top bracket these things become a differentiating factor. Example if I say pre 2017 Federer had a poor backhand that doesn't mean I don't rate his BH. It is just that compared to his equals/rivals like Nole, Nadal, Stan, Murray etc he has a weak BH.....he has a better BH than 98% of the tour but when you talk about Federer the player you don't compare him with Somdev, you compare him with people who are in GOAT race like Nadal and Nole. 

Kohli’s aggression and passion on the field with a bat in hand=100% genuine

Kohli’s off field shenanigans=100% fake pr stunts

eg,like sucking up to the Pakistanis,calling Amir a great bowler etc and while I am ok with the gesture that he invited that Srilankan super fan to his wedding but the way it was publicized all over  social media and the the way the gesture was hyped about seems a bit shady.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

I have seen highlights of 1992 world cup and Lara had some very good knocks. When I checked the stats he was a clear no 2 behind Crowe in that edition. He opened in that WC, probably should have stayed there for the rest of his career. Why do you think his stats took a hit after moving to the middle order because he was one helluva of a player against spin and a great manipulator of the gaps. I have read articles bemoaning his frequent run ins with WICB and his bad attitude affecting his batting, even Holding and Lloyd criticized him at one point asking him to learn from SRT. 

Top 3 is the  place to bat in ODIs man. You get to bat during the fielding restrictions and get a chance to get big scores. Extremely hard to bat in the middle-order and maintain a high average without being a not out merchant. ABDV and Hussey are the only exceptions who have been able to do this I think. Plus Lara played for WI so when he started batting in the middle-order he was more often than not undoing the damage done by the top order. People look at his raw stats and think he was a Ganguly/Anwar level ODI player :phehe:.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
1 minute ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Top 3 is the  place to bat in ODIs man. You get to bat during the fielding restrictions and get a chance get big scores. Extremely hard to bat in the middle-order and maintain and a high average without being a not out merchant. ABDV and Hussey are the only exceptions who have been able to do this I think. Plus Lara played for WI so when he started batting in the middle-order he was more often than not undoing the damage done by the top order. People look at his raw stats and think he was a Ganguly/Anwar level ODI player :phehe:.

Even I was part of that crowd till a couple of years back. Only when I dug into the nitty gritty did I realize how wrong I was. Also came across the ICC ODI ranking stats one fine day and was surprised to see Lara finish YE #1 five years straight. Viv, Bevan Jones and ABDV have got 4 straight and they are GOAT contenders in ODIs, yet we barely hear a whisper about Lara.

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

ABDV played a blinder in the 2015 WC SF and if not for the rotten luck with the rain he was on course towards delivering a knock for the ages. Unlike Kohli ABDV has a stellar WC record, in that sense it isn't right to call him a choker. In tests ABDV has been very clutch. He isn't a choker like say an Amla. 

In my post about Sachin I did not call him a complete choker. I don't think he is as bad as some haters make it out to be but you must remember when we are talking about him we are comparing him to ATGs like Bradman, Viv, Lara, Ponting etc. Ofc compared to lesser players he will mostly shine but when you consider the top bracket these things become a differentiating factor. Example if I say pre 2017 Federer had a poor backhand that doesn't mean I don't rate his BH. It is just that compared to his equals/rivals like Nole, Nadal, Stan, Murray etc he has a weak BH.....he has a better BH than 98% of the tour but when you talk about Federer the player you don't compare him with Somdev, you compare him with people who are in GOAT race like Nadal and Nole. 

2007 wc semifinals-AB devillers 15(34)

2011 wc quarterfinals -35(40) runout

2014 Wt20 Semis-10(8)

2009 wt20 semis 1(5)

Sachin failed in 2 finals Sure 

but 1996 semis-65 

quarters-31

semis-83 

not even counting the legendary Pak match 

semis-85 and man of the match

quarters- 53 

Again....how is AB unlucky and Sachin a choker?

Hardik Pandya is an overrated cricketer for Test Matches. Its a big long term disaster for Indian test cricket. He might score an odd 50 which will make us select him every time but he is a BS bowler and BS batsman for Test Cricket. I don't care whether its the first time since Kapil Dev that we have an option to play an all rounder who can bowl fast and bat, but he is absolutely bs. I rather play an extra batsman or a bowler in this situation since Pandya is absolutely bs long term option.

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Even I was part of that crowd till a couple of years back. Only when I dug into the nitty gritty did I realize how wrong I was. Also came across the ICC ODI ranking stats one fine day and was surprised to see Lara finish YE #1 five years straight. Viv, Bevan Jones and ABDV have got 4 straight and they are GOAT contenders in ODIs, yet we barely hear a whisper about Lara.

You should check out some of Lara's performances in 92/93 in the tri-series against PAK/SA and in the Carlton and United Series in 1996/97 against AUS/PAK. Was ridiculous. The only blemish in his record during this phase was that he wasn't great in tournament finals. Had one spectacular 153 against Waqar but little else.

57 minutes ago, maniac said:

So ABDV who fails in semi finals is unlucky and not a choker but Sachin wins man of the matches in quarters and semis and big games but he is a choker...are these unpopular opinions or Gollum’s biased opinions?

Just FYI  Sachin’s Bowling in the  2001 Eden test was a major factor between a tame draw and India winning...even though yes I agree that moment belonged to VVS-Dravid even though Sachin contributed in his own way.

Agree on Afridi-decent LOI cricketer overhyped by fans.

Hah hah we can all have bias . I mean you refer to 2001 Kolkata year but not mention of guy who took 13 wickets in the match and a hatrick . 

Who was that guy ? Let me think 

yes suck it up haters it was bhaji :giggle:

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

2007 wc semifinals-AB devillers 15(34)

2011 wc quarterfinals -35(40) runout

2014 Wt20 Semis-10(8)

2009 wt20 semis 1(5)

Sachin failed in 2 finals Sure 

but 1996 semis-65 

quarters-31

semis-83 

not even counting the legendary Pak match 

semis-85 and man of the match

quarters- 53 

Again....how is AB unlucky and Sachin a choker?

No need of T20 numbers because Sachin never played them, so a direct comparision is ruled out. 

Sachin's knock in 1996 QF was pathetic, Sidhu and Jadeja salvaged the score with their batting that day. ABDV has been very unlucky in these stages, that run out in 2011 QF was Faf's fault. In 2015 again rain robbed him when he was batting like a God. Sachin OTOH was lucky, eg he was dropped 5 times in Mohali and got an easy side in 2003 SF. Sachin's 1996 SF and 2011 QF were both good knocks in KO stage I agree. Now if we move to test cricket ABDV has some great back against the wall type innings in 4th innings while Sachin has failed often in 4th innings.

I am not saying SRT is a choker but when you put him alongside other ATGs like Viv, Ponting, Lara in direct comparison he comes out looking like a choker (relatively speaking). 

Jimmy Adams is the most under-rated player in modern day Test cricket. Up until the series in 1999, he arguably had more match-winning contributions than Lara. 

Greg Chappell is the most under-rated of all the ATG batsmen.

Kumar Sangakkara has the most impressive career record of all post 80s batsmen.

VVS Laxman and GR Viswanath are India's greatest match-winning batsmen in Tests.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff

37. If not for ill treatment by team mates and media eg Bhajji slap, Dhoni abuse in Cape Town...Sreesanth wouldn't have turned out the way he eventually became. He is an emotional fool with a faulty wiring in his upper chamber but basically good at heart. Such people need good mentors and Sree was unlucky in that regard. Whatever said and done we have won 2 tests in SA till date and Sree played a pivotal role in both those wins. we have lost a great prospect because of bad mentoring. 

38. I think some big names are mentioned in Mudgal report. If they are revealed some big reputations will take a hit. Various factions are conspiring to keep those names hidden. Corruption still is an issue in IPL and unless authorities are dead serious about tackling the menace more youngsters are going to get sucked in. We need ruthlessness here.

39. Duncan Fletcher was a good coach, a great batting teacher and someone who was a genuine backer of pace bowling. Dhoni and the dictatorial regime at that time stifled his voice and made him Tenali Raman's cat. The team selections under his stint are shocking esp if you compare that too his stint as England coach. 

40. Our team/experts/ex players/media have always been obsessed with numbers and banal records. Even if Kohli pretends otherwise that isn't the case. While players from other countries have that streak of selfishness, we take it to another level altogether.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Jimmy Adams is the most under-rated player in modern day Test cricket. Up until the series in 1999, he arguably had more match-winning contributions than Lara. 

Greg Chappell is the most under-rated of all the great ATG batsmen.

Kumar Sangakkara has the most impressive career record of all post 80s batsmen.

VVS Laxman and GR Viswanath are India's greatest match-winning batsmen in Tests.

Agree on the Laxman, Vishy part...... Laxman I saw with my own eyes, Vishy my father and uncles have told me stories.

I am genuinely surprised by the Jimmy Adams and Sanga opinions.