Anand wins World Rapid Chess Championship

Gollum

6 hours ago, surajmal said:

Pretty amazing that Anand can win at fast chess at his age... Mind as sharp as ever. 

A more experienced player is likely to have a larger 'database' which he could try and relate a current game to. A younger player may have to think through each move. In blitz games, it could make all the difference.

Huge achievement for Vishy Anand :isalute:

Edited by Mariyam

On 12/31/2017 at 2:34 AM, Cricketics said:

He should. Deserves it.

he ought to. but so did dhyan chand and balbir singh, both ATGs. none but tendu got it among sportsmen so far. bharat ratna has a high fraction of awards to politicians/bureaucrats compared to vibhusan.

52 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he ought to. but so did dhyan chand and balbir singh, both ATGs. none but tendu got it among sportsmen so far. bharat ratna has a high fraction of awards to politicians/bureaucrats compared to vibhusan.

I am against the concept of posthumous Bharat Ratna because then it will open a pandora's box. Although I respect Mahamana a great deal, Modi shouldn't have conferred the highest award to him 70 odd years after his demise. Where will this stop? Asoka, Maurya, Akbar, Tilak, Ramanujam, J.C Bose and a hundred others should get the Bharat Ratna if you want to confer it posthumously. 

Coming to the legendary Balbir Singh Sr, his achievements no doubt deserve the highest admiration but we are talking about a sport played seriously by 8-10 countries (was lesser during his time) and even there he was born into a system where we were always world beaters. Anand achieved in a system where we were laggards, he was our 1st GM and today we have 50+ GMs and more titled players than any other country not named Russia. He was the person who ended Soviet dominance 2 decades after Fischer disappeared to oblivion. He has 5 World Titles and in my mind 1 Title=1 WC. We have won 1 Hockey WC and 2 Cricket WCs. Anand won 5 of those things in an endeavor played by more than a billion people from 190+ countries, indeed chess has max participation after IOC. Add to that the numerous titles in supertournaments and speed chess, his resume is infallible. SRT getting the award was unfortunate, he made a deal with Congress and got it for non sporting reasons if I were to be more blunt. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

I am against the concept of posthumous Bharat Ratna because then it will open a pandora's box. Although I respect Mahamana a great deal, Modi shouldn't have conferred the highest award to him 70 odd years after his demise. Where will this stop? Asoka, Maurya, Akbar, Tilak, Ramanujam, J.C Bose and a hundred others should get the Bharat Ratna if you want to confer it posthumously. 

Coming to the legendary Balbir Singh Sr, his achievements no doubt deserve the highest admiration but we are talking about a sport played seriously by 8-10 countries (was lesser during his time) and even there he was born into a system where we were always world beaters. Anand achieved in a system where we were laggards, he was our 1st GM and today we have 50+ GMs and more titled players than any other country not named Russia. He was the person who ended Soviet dominance 2 decades after Fischer disappeared to oblivion. He has 5 World Titles and in my mind 1 Title=1 WC. We have won 1 Hockey WC and 2 Cricket WCs. Anand won 5 of those things in an endeavor played by more than a billion people from 190+ countries, indeed chess has max participation after IOC. Add to that the numerous titles in supertournaments and speed chess, his resume is infallible. SRT getting the award was unfortunate, he made a deal with Congress and got it for non sporting reasons if I were to be more blunt. 

i agree with your post. just trying to highlight the fact that we have had world beaters (advani is another) in sports whose name is not srt. however, there is something more romantic when reading about hockey exploits of those days. for me, ind beating eng in 1948 (where balbir sr was around) in hockey carries a greater resonance than individual sports like chess (esp. rapid chess) in the modern era.

10 minutes ago, Vijy said:

i agree with your post. just trying to highlight the fact that we have had world beaters (advani is another) in sports whose name is not srt. however, there is something more romantic when reading about hockey exploits of those days. for me, ind beating eng in 1948 (where balbir sr was around) in hockey carries a greater resonance than individual sports like chess (esp. rapid chess) in the modern era.

To each his own brother. For me a 21 year old Indian finishing ahead of Kasparov, Karpov, Ivanchuk, Khalifman, Gelfand and 4 other Soviet players in the then strongest tournament of all time (Reggio Emilia 1991) at the peak of Soviet chess machine carries a great deal of charm, especially considering the fact that 9 out of top 10 were Soviets and no outsider could stand up to them since Fischer left the scene. It is something like an unheralded Nepal team getting the better of Lloyd's WI in 1980 and then going on to achieve great things. Also the 2008 Battle of Bonn is a special moment because it broke the chain of the Botvinik Chess School's hold over the classical crown since 1974. 

Edited by Gollum

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

To each his own brother. For me a 21 year old Indian finishing ahead of Kasparov, Karpov, Ivanchuk, Khalifman, Gelfand and 4 other Soviet players in the then strongest tournament of all time (Reggio Emilia 1991) at the peak of Soviet chess machine carries a great deal of charm, especially considering the fact that 9 out of top 10 were Soviets and no outsider could stand up to them since Fischer left the scene. It is something like an unheralded Nepal team getting the better of Lloyd's WI in 1980 and then going on to achieve great things. Also the 2008 Battle of Bonn is a special moment because it broke the chain of the Botvinik Chess School's hold over the classical crown since 1974. 

true. that was a classic underdog triumphing against the big bad wolves. but the 1948 olympic gold carried a lot of colonial history, etc which cannot be replicated nor wholly appreciated by people like us born many decades after independence. only when one reads contemporary accounts can one appreciate its enormity. the '48 win was not an underdog win (we were favs) but it has a lot of other factors involved.