Dhoni vs Bevan, Who is/was the greatest finisher

raki05

3 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Dhoni doesn't have any notable innings apart from WC 2011 final (where he had no business promoting himself before yuvi) and that 65 against Aus in SF was as useless as it gets. But overall, dhoni wins. He can play innings like 183* while chasing or 75(46)or whatever he made against Pakistani in 2005 I think but bevan could never play innings like this. 

And that i agree, but moot point is kind of inning which bevan playred in wc or major tri nation series. How many such innings Dhoni has played in adverse situation.

16 minutes ago, raki05 said:

In ICC wc or major tri nation series?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/4144.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/4144.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

As you can see, neither one of them are replete with centuries and fifties in these type of matches. So what ? They are finishers and finishers are expected to have good amount of runs and strike rate, but not necessarily 100s and 50s (though a certain number of 50s is expected, which both of them clear). 

Dhoni is the best finisher ever in ODI cricket history but sadly no match winner except for a few handful matches when he had long hairs against mighty Pakistan and/or Srilankas.

One misconception is Bevan cannot score quickly which is not true. He just didn't need to most of the times. He was playing in one heck of a all time great Aussie team.

23 minutes ago, raki05 said:

As said before its not abt strike rate . Who won more matches for his team in dire situations or set up respectable target when team needed the most in major events. As far as strike rate is considerd ,i m sure there would be definetely 10 + batter whose strike rate would be more than him. In the era of bevan that was considered as good strike rate. Anyway this discussion is about finishing abilities or winning matches for their teams in crucial situation and not about strike rate.

Which major event or against bowling attack did Bevan do it?

10 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

As you can see, neither one of them are replete with centuries and fifties in these type of matches. So what ? They are finishers and finishers are expected to have good amount of runs and strike rate, but not necessarily 100s and 50s (though a certain number of 50s is expected, which both of them clear). 

I think u r still missing the points, i think you are suggesting based on intial topic. However my main intention was to know based on the performances  on major events who was best finisher

43 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

where he had no business promoting himself before yuvi

Ofcourse he did , he played murali better then yuvi and it wud have made left right combo . His n gambhir partnership key was always rotating strike which helped us getting out of strangle completely

What guarantee was their that yuvi wud have made runs

Apples to apples as a ODI bat it has to be Dhoni by some distance...no comparison

However,in the 2nd innings  Dhoni is good at finishing games which are set up nicely up front by the top order...He is good at ensuring there are no hiccups and wobbles and smooth things out and in his prime batting first he could make sure that the side finished with a good momentum....However not sure Dhoni is as reliable as Bevan in totally hopeless situations.

I have seen Bevan finish games batting with no10 and no11 from totally lost causes however Bevan did not have the power game when the run rate was super high etc

As a ODi bat-Dhoni is miles ahead

As a finisher-Bevan is slightly ahead.

Edited by maniac

Even in the WC 11 game the platform was set despite losing 2 early wickets...Sure,it was a little challenging but it wasn’t all hopeless...This is why I said Dhoni is very good when he makes sure no more wobbles etc...has we been 20/4 or 30/5 he would have shut shop like he did in the WC 15 semis.

47 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Ofcourse he did , he played murali better then yuvi and it wud have made left right combo . His n gambhir partnership key was always rotating strike which helped us getting out of strangle completely

What guarantee was their that yuvi wud have made runs

You just completely missed the qf and the SF right? The perfect time for dhoni to promote himself was after Sachin got out ahead of Kohli who was still a noob. Not after the stage was set. The same yuvi who you know won us the match when we were in a bad position at 160/5 on a dry pitch in ahmedabad. Just look at the comments section. No one wants in favour of that move especially as how dhoni didn't do jackshit the whole tournament. Why didn't he promote himself against a rampaging Riaz at Mohali? Why did he wait on a flat pitch in Mumbai when we were in a good position? That's the story of dhonis life. Just look at the last T20 series. When we're in a good position, he promotes himself. When we're not, he's hiding behind Karthik.

Btw hope you watched the ranji and saw how pant kept. Keep doing your chamchagiri though. 

Bevan was the original finisher,the best I believe, Dhoni is a bit overrated as a finisher tbh but a great one in his prime no doubt.purely as batsmen both had different utility as finishers,dhoni could come and finish matches where rrr would be sky high ,Bevan could not but he instilled the belief that a match could be won from any position/situation in a chase.

As a cricketer though dhoni miles ahead !!

Just now, Laaloo said:

You just completely missed the qf and the SF right? The perfect time for dhoni to promote himself was after Sachin got out ahead of Kohli who was still a noob. Not after the stage was set. The same yuvi who you know won us the match when we were in a bad position at 160/5 on a dry pitch in ahmedabad. Just look at the comments section. No one wants in favour of that move especially as how dhoni didn't do jackshit the whole tournament. Why didn't he promote himself against a rampaging Riaz at Mohali? Why did he wait on a flat pitch in Mumbai when we were in a good position? That's the story of dhonis life. Just look at the last T20 series. When we're in a good position, he promotes himself. When we're not, he's hiding behind Karthik.

Btw hope you watched the ranji and saw how pant kept. Keep doing your chamchagiri though. 

I did watch those games 

There is a thing called instict, there is a thing called reason and one the biggest was murali whom he played really well with gambo and yuvi didnt as yuvi himself has mentioned that he didnt enjoy playing murali.

Kohli was not the best option at 5 , his best place was 4

That SL game was no good position , it wasnt bad position ....we just got stable and it was still a long journey .

Comment section men bhi tere jaise dhakkan honge jo ant men galat sabit hue

Flat pitch, well in Final its all about pressure that to when ur chasing. 

Btw the ahedb game ur talking about didnt that had so much dew . 

The same yuvi got out on 0 in semi , so in cricket u never knw . Who knws wo final men 0 pe out ho jata. Jo hua sahi hua wo nhin dekhna bas apna personal agenda nikalna hai . 

Yhi problem hai tum log har cheez men keeda nikalna hia , wo pehle kyun nhin aaya baad men kyun. U have just made it all about giving credit individual .....

F... offf......cricket is a team game . Stop calling ur self cricket fan agar saara keeda individual ko hi credit dene ke liye 

I never questioned pant keeping, i have said that do we knw how good or bad his keeping is....and all those comment came today after seeing him keep. Comparing him to dhoni level keeping is stupid dhoni himself didnt reach here in 1-2 yrs, so pant will take time. Whats an asset in dhoni keeping is his stumping, which is diff to match for anyone due to his unorthodox technique .

Also do ur self a favour after his final innings dnt even present his case atleast for sometime now.

In first innings - Dhoni. Bevan didn't have the power game to set targets the way Dhoni can/could.

In second innings - Bevan by a whisker. Since he didn't have Dhoni's power game, Bevan always knew that he'd have to run most of his runs, while picking the occasional boundary. He had a more structured approach to finishing. Dhoni tends to procrastinate sometimes, which I don't like.

Overall: Dhoni.

6 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I did watch those games 

There is a thing called instict, there is a thing called reason and one the biggest was murali whom he played really well with gambo and yuvi didnt as yuvi himself has mentioned that he didnt enjoy playing murali.

Kohli was not the best option at 5 , his best place was 4

That SL game was no good position , it wasnt bad position ....we just got stable and it was still a long journey .

Comment section men bhi tere jaise dhakkan honge jo ant men galat sabit hue

Flat pitch, well in Final its all about pressure that to when ur chasing. 

Btw the ahedb game ur talking about didnt that had so much dew . 

The same yuvi got out on 0 in semi , so in cricket u never knw . Who knws wo final men 0 pe out ho jata. Jo hua sahi hua wo nhin dekhna bas apna personal agenda nikalna hai . 

Yhi problem hai tum log har cheez men keeda nikalna hia , wo pehle kyun nhin aaya baad men kyun. U have just made it all about giving credit individual .....

F... offf......cricket is a team game . Stop calling ur self cricket fan agar saara keeda individual ko hi credit dene ke liye 

I never questioned pant keeping, i have said that do we knw how good or bad his keeping is....and all those comment came today after seeing him keep. Comparing him to dhoni level keeping is stupid dhoni himself didnt reach here in 1-2 yrs, so pant will take time. Whats an asset in dhoni keeping is his stumping, which is diff to match for anyone due to his unorthodox technique .

Also do ur self a favour after his final innings dnt even present his case atleast for sometime now.

He has failed in every World Cup knockout or Wt20 knockout he has played...yes that innings he delivered but because of that one knock he doesn’t become the greatest thing since sliced  bread...in fact from pure cricketing sense his innings was the 3rd best knock in the game behind Gambhir and Jayawardena in that order.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

He has failed in every World Cup knockout or Wt20 knockout he has played...

Cant deny that 

yes that innings he delivered but because of that one knock he doesn’t become the greatest thing since sliced  bread...

Who says his legacy is based on one innings or even anyones 

in fact from pure cricketing sense his innings was the 3rd best knock in the game behind Gambhir and Jayawardena in that order.

agreed 

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Raina has played more clutch knocks in Odis than a Dhoni but doesn’t get the same hype...his knocks in qf and sf made the difference in the end.

Coz its all about whole career , cricket apart from WC is also knwn as international cricket

Dhawan becomes a beast in world tournaments in odi doesnt mean he ll become better then Kohli who has had above avg world cup in odi 

25 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Coz its all about whole career , cricket apart from WC is also knwn as international cricket

Dhawan becomes a beast in world tournaments in odi doesnt mean he ll become better then Kohli who has had above avg world cup in odi 

Agreed, only questuon is he is same as kohli though he hss one great inning in wc final which kojli doesnt have. But in bigger stage i think bevan was dlightly better.