Better captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

Better captain (All formats)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better India captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

Let me make the case in either direction:

Ganguly

For 

1. Helped introduce/nurture multiple Indian ATGs: Harbhajan, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Zaheer

2. World Cup 2003 Finalist in unfamiliar conditions overseas

3. ICC Champions Trophy co winner 

4. Defeated one of the best test sides ever 2-1 in 2001

5. Competitive overseas in tests: did well in England 2002 and Aus 2003

6. Retired with dignity 

7. Better batsmen 

8. Good tactician in tests 

9. Left team Indian cricket in healthier condition than he found it 

Against

1. No World Cup Trophy 

2. Batting tended to decline under captaincy

3. Poor standards of out fielding/running between the wickets and did not lead by example

Dhoni

For

1. World Cup winner on home soil 

2. Excellent record in tests at home

3. Made WK/batting a prominent role in indian cricket 

4. Ushered in Indian era of fearless batting 

5. Helped India get rid of their nervousness at climatic stages in ODIs

6. Won overseas series vs NZ and drew vs South Africa

7. Better all-round player 

8. Astute tactician in LOIs

9. Guided India's improvement in ground fielding/running between the wickets

Against 

1. Reduced Indian fast bowling to dark ages 

2. Reduced Indian test cricket overseas to the dark ages (4-0 loss in England, 4-0 Loss in Australia, 3-1 loss in England)

3. Failed to adequately nurture some of the best talents in Indian cricket: Irfan, Rohit, Sreesanth, RP Singh, Ishant 

4. Very political 

5. Reduced status of test cricket in India 

6. Delaying long overdue retirement, holding back next generation of cricketers 

7. Clueless tactician in tests

8. Left Indian cricket in worse condition than he found it 

9. Oversaw decline in Indian slip fielding 

I welcome any points I missed 

Edited by mancalledsting
10 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Against

1. No World Cup Trophy 

3. Poor standards of out fielding/running between the wickets and did not lead by example

1. Team game

2. Everyone's player declines with age.. Unless you are awful captain like sachin no excuses there..

3. How is that his fault ? He got sachin,nehra and few other cricketers who are poor in field in general.. With Yuvi and kaif coming in as youngsters it kind of changed.

4 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Apologies if this post in anyway undermines your hero MSD. Just waiting for you to bring Sachin into this post that has nothing to do with Sachin. 

Why he is not a player ? He was part of squad.If thats what you want...Wish fullfilled..

Edited by Rasgulla

Will choose Dhoni as Odi captain and none in test cricket. Ganguly dnt warrent a place in all time test 11 as player 1st ....so he cant be the captain

Rest some point are blatnetly wrong 

dhoni- 

• Kohli, dhawan, rohit, bhuvi, ashwin, jadeja, vijay, pandya, bumrah, raina.........introduced or nurtured....

where is this point. 

• Slip fielding cant be put on captain.......thats a cultural change in fielding 
  • Cant blame sreesanth, irfan , rp  had attitude isssue on dhoni.
  • Rohit was made a Odi beast his decision n backing
  • How do u blame ishant problem on him, ishant changed his action n wrist position 
  • Made tough calls to drop many seniors

Infact had rahul been under him he wud have gotten far more proper chances 

Against ganguly

• He was damn political, the whole chappell saga (wo koi dhudh ka dhula nhin tha)
  • Ganguly retired with diginty, No .....he retired with a grudge
  • Better batsman then whom?????
  • Bought a better culture in Indian cricket of senior n junior 
  • Emphasis on foreign coaches which was very important at that time
  • Made dravid a keeper which i think helped his batting 
  • Help us develop an attitude to look in the eye of the opposition 
  • Add dhoni, nehra name in that list of player given a chance by ganguly 

Yuvraj n dhoni nurturing credit shud also go to chappell n dravid. 

Bumrah , pandya have been well backed n continued under kohli as well . 

27 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Let me make the case in either direction:

Ganguly

For 

1. Helped introduce/nurture multiple Indian ATGs: Harbhajan, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Zaheer

2. World Cup 2003 Finalist in unfamiliar conditions overseas

3. ICC Champions Trophy co winner 

4. Defeated one of the best test sides ever 2-1 in 2001

5. Competitive overseas in tests: did well in England 2002 and Aus 2003

6. Retired with dignity 

7. Better batsmen 

8. Good tactician in tests 

9. Left team Indian cricket in healthier condition than he found it 

Against

1. No World Cup Trophy 

Dhoni

For

1. World Cup winner on home soil 

2. Excellent record in tests at home

3. Made WK/batting a prominent role in indian cricket 

4. Ushered in Indian era of fearless batting 

5. Helped India get rid of their nervousness at climatic stages in ODIs

6. Won overseas series vs NZ and drew vs South Africa

7. Better all-round player 

8. Astute tactician in LOIs

9. Guided India's improvement in ground fielding/running between the wickets

Against 

2. Reduced Indian test cricket overseas to the dark ages (4-0 loss in England, 4-0 Loss in Australia, 3-1 loss in England)

3. Failed to adequately nurture some of the best talents in Indian cricket: Irfan, Rohit, Sreesanth, RP Singh, Ishant 

4. Very political 

I welcome any points I missed 

Most of those against Dhoni are subjective. 

35 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Against 

4. Very political 

1. What exactly has he done to reduce fast bowling ? Can't really help if you have players like Umesh yadav and Varun Aaron who leaks runs at consistent rate.. than picking wicks. 

2. Having old players like sachin and few others doesn't help him.. past by expiry date still doesn't want to leave the squad.. Once they were finally shown the door.. It takes time for Dhawan, Rohit, kohli, pujara, Rahane and rest to settle.

3. Poor Irfan was kicked around by Chappell saab.. Sree was part of WC2011 squad after that he got into his fixing thing. RP did well in 2007T20WC and Rohit life was changed after Dhoni promoted him to no.1 in ODIs.. Ridiculous point.. It's like me asking why didn't saurab improve mongia :cantstop: 

4. Indeed gave way too much time for Oldies to settle to fulfill their personal milestones.. should gave kicked them out earlier

5. Yep he was the reason for Tsunami and Earthquakes as well.

6. Holding back mighty players like pant who aren't even ready to even make it into A squad yet..

7. So clueless that he was the first ever captain to take India to #1 in Tests

8. When he took over India had 1 WC.. When he left India has All ICC trophies.. Every team fans dream of this so called  "worse condition"

9. Yep he puts butter in Kohli's and Dhawan's hand.. Still didn't under till day why he does such a thing..

This guy is hilarious:phehe:

Edited by Rasgulla

Ganguly used to back his players well, however Dhoni in his prime as captain was more shrewd than anyone I have seen and in particular more attentive. I missed that part of Dhoni's captaincy in the later stages of his career but he was really innovative in the first part of his captaincy career.

Ganguly had his principles and no no eff attitude which might sound smart and handsome like keeping Steve Waugh waiting for the toss, but to me was pathetic attitude for an international captain, and it reeks of grudge filled attitude from Ganguly.

Dhoni in this way I felt must have been better and probably did not show any grudge ever and must have been more easy to approach.

Dhoni in his prime is ahead for me over Ganguly.

23 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Will choose Dhoni as Odi captain and none in test cricket. Ganguly dnt warrent a place in all time test 11 as player 1st ....so he cant be the captain

Rest some point are blatnetly wrong 

dhoni- 

• Kohli, dhawan, rohit, bhuvi, ashwin, jadeja, vijay, pandya, bumrah, raina.........introduced or nurtured....

where is this point. 

• Slip fielding cant be put on captain.......thats a cultural change in fielding 
  • Cant blame sreesanth, irfan , rp  had attitude isssue on dhoni.
  • Rohit was made a Odi beast his decision n backing
  • How do u blame ishant problem on him, ishant changed his action n wrist position 
  • Made tough calls to drop many seniors

if above is true, you're basically you're saying there is no point in a captain? Its just a token position. 

In spite of Rohit's good ODI performances, the Indian cricket fraternity expected him to be so much more and to this day remains a talent unfulfilled.  

I think Kohli developed in spite of Dhoni, not because of him. With Kohli's attitude and dedication, would have even developed under Azhar. 

Ganguly's students all praise him and attribute their success to him. 

Don't see similar praise for Dhoni. 

Edited by mancalledsting
Just now, mancalledsting said:

if above is true, you're basically you're saying there is no point in a captain? Its just a token position. 

In some cases yes

Sreesanth was an A-grade idiot under anyone. shud i show clips under yuvraj singh in IPL, he was caught in spot fixing under dravid
One thing was comman he himself for an A-grade idiot

RP- he gained weight, dhoni emphasised on fitness. Now if Safraz gains fitness wud u blame kohli

In spite of Rohit's good ODI performances, the Indian cricket fraternity expected him to be so much more. 

So dhoni wasnt suppouse to teach him bat, if u give him a gaali for rohit then give him credit to make kohli a world beater. So BS

Kohli made himself what he is and so did rohit, captain job is to give chances n confidence which was given same to both 

Uske aage player pe hai 

I think Kohli developed in spite of Dhoni, not because of him. With Kohli's attitude and dedication, would have even developed under Azhar. 

Any player will do well if he has the will

Ganguly's students all praise him and attribute their success to him. 

Don't see similar praise for Dhoni. 

Please go n check ur facts then ........

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

In some cases yes

Sreesanth was an A-grade idiot under anyone. shud i show clips under yuvraj singh in IPL, he was caught in spot fixing under dravid
One thing was comman he himself for an A-grade idiot

RP- he gained weight, dhoni emphasised on fitness. Now if Safraz gains fitness wud u blame kohli

So dhoni wasnt suppouse to teach him bat, if u give him a gaali for rohit then give him credit to make kohli a world beater. So BS

Kohli made himself what he is and so did rohit, captain job is to give chances n confidence which was given same to both 

Uske aage player pe hai 

Any player will do well if he has the will

Please go n check ur facts then ........

Sreesanth under Dravid did well, part of captaincy is managing your big personalities. 

RP was a gun bowler, how could we let him waste away?

I already acknowledge that Dhoni gave Team India calmness in clutch moments in ODIs. Apart from politics, what else can Dhoni possibly teach Kohli? Can my grade 9 maths teach teach Stephen Hawking? Look at the calibre of the two batsmen FFS!

please provide some facts, political statements by players like Yuz Chahal who want to further their own careers when they've barely known Dhoni for two days aside.