Better captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

Better captain (All formats)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better India captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

Just now, mancalledsting said:

Sreesanth under Dravid did well, part of captaincy is managing your big personalities. 

Did well , that was start....so he had to be a lil calm

Under dravid only he was caught for spot fixing in IPL 

RP was a gun bowler, how could we let him waste away?

We have wasted many, a part was the problem of system part themselves

Indian fast bowling culture is getting better now as with IPL new bowlers are learning the proper diet, fitness ways. 

India never had fast bowling culture so many lost its way coz we didnt knew how to groom them. 

I already acknowledge that Dhoni gave Team India calmness in clutch moments in ODIs. Apart from politics, what else can Dhoni possibly teach Kohli? Can my grade 9 maths teach teach Stephen Hawking? Look at the calibre of the two batsmen FFS!

Kohli was about to be dropped by selectors in 2012 tour down under and thats were he backed by dhoni and after that his career changed 

Btw ho gaya agenda post

I have a request this is quite a healthy debate that shud be handled by people with no agenda. 

I request u to stay out of it 

please provide some facts, political statements by players like Yuz Chahal who want to further their own careers when they've barely known Dhoni for two days aside. 

See thats ur issue when people under ganguly its praise and people does for dhoni its PR

U dnt have to be captain to help players as senior u can do that, tendulkar did that for years he was no captain

I request such good topic shud be handled with no biasness .....so stay away from making such threads. There are enough good posters here let them do it 

9 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Sreesanth under Dravid did well, part of captaincy is managing your big personalities

Dravid was captain... When sreesanth fixed matches. Not sure what exactly he "did well"

what else can Dhoni possibly teach Kohli? Can my grade 9 maths teach teach Stephen Hawking?

Compare this statement to your pathetic first post.. Is Ganguly  Stephen hawkings then ? 

Yuz Chahal who want to further their own careers when they've barely known Dhoni for two days aside. 

So you ll tell us how much chahal knows Dhoni now.. He debuted under Dhoni and still playing in the team over 1 and half years. LoL

Edited by Rasgulla
3 minutes ago, Sgattick10 said:

Sachin grudges Ganguly's captaincy cos the latter was a terrific captain in comparison. Dhoni belongs to a diff gen hence the praise. 

So are you trying to say sachin was jealous of Saurab's captaincy skills? This is something I totally agree about.. He is master politician as well who always backed Mumbai players.

15 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

1. What exactly has he done to reduce fast bowling ? Can't really help if you have players like Umesh yadav and Varun Aaron who leaks runs at consistent rate.. than picking wicks. 

Fast bowling improved/remained strong under Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble then suddenly dipped under MSD. Now suddenly picked up again under Kohli. I take it spotting trends is not your strong point. 

2. Having old players like sachin and few others doesn't help him.. past by expiry date still doesn't want to leave the squad.. Once they were finally shown the door.. It takes time for Dhawan, Rohit, kohli, pujara, Rahane and rest to settle.

Having old players like Zaheer, Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, VVS was the only reason Dhoni ever achieved success in his early days. Zaheer was the captain of the bowling attack, MSD used to defer decisions to him.

3. Poor Irfan was kicked around by Chappell saab.. Sree was part of WC2011 squad after that he got into his fixing thing. RP did well in 2007T20WC and Rohit life was changed after Dhoni promoted him to no.1 in ODIs.. Ridiculous point.. It's like me asking why didn't saurab improve mongia :cantstop: 

How was Irfan kicked around by Chapell? when Dhoni took over, there was no Chapell. actually would be more blaming Dhoni for not developing Stuart Binny, which I never did. 

4. Indeed gave way too much time for Oldies to settle to fulfill their personal milestones.. should gave kicked them out earlier

yeah and should have continued backing gun players like Raina, D Karthik, S Binny instead

5. Yep he was the reason for Tsunami and Earthquakes as well.

6. Holding back mighty players like pant who aren't even ready to even make it into A squad yet..

Like I said in another post, your obsessed with any rival to MSD. 

7. So clueless that he was the first ever captain to take India to #1 in Tests

Largely based on decline of Australia and quality pre existing test players

8. When he took over India had 1 WC.. When he left India has All ICC trophies.. Every team fans dream of this so called  "worse condition"

this is only Bangladeshi fans dream, real cricket fans have aspirations for test cricket 

9. Yep he puts butter in Kohli's and Dhawan's hand.. Still didn't under till day why he does such a thing..

This guy is hilarious:phehe:

4 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Dravid was captain... When sreesanth fixed matches. Not sure what exactly he "did well"

Compare this statement to your pathetic first post.. Is Ganguly  Stephen hawkings then ? 

So you ll tell us how there relationship is.. He debuted under Dhoni and still playing in the team over 1 and half years. LoL

first ever test match victory in South Africa- quite good fixing under Dravid. 

yes indeed, correction sustained, Yuz Chahal debuted under MSD against the mighty Zimbabwe. Thank God MSD was there to hold his hand against a team that wouldn't even be competitive in our Ranji Trophy. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/10638/scorecard/1007649/zimbabwe-vs-india-1st-odi-india-tour-of-zimbabwe-2016/

Kohli relative to Dhoni is Stephen hawking with grade 9 maths teacher. 

same relative disparity doesn't exist between Ganguly vs Yuvi, Sehwag, Zak, Bhaji

11 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Did well , that was start....so he had to be a lil calm

Under dravid only he was caught for spot fixing in IPL 

We have wasted many, a part was the problem of system part themselves

Indian fast bowling culture is getting better now as with IPL new bowlers are learning the proper diet, fitness ways. 

India never had fast bowling culture so many lost its way coz we didnt knew how to groom them. 

Kohli was about to be dropped by selectors in 2012 tour down under and thats were he backed by dhoni and after that his career changed 

Btw ho gaya agenda post

I have a request this is quite a healthy debate that shud be handled by people with no agenda. 

I request u to stay out of it 

See thats ur issue when people under ganguly its praise and people does for dhoni its PR

U dnt have to be captain to help players as senior u can do that, tendulkar did that for years he was no captain

I request such good topic shud be handled with no biasness .....so stay away from making such threads. There are enough good posters here let them do it 

ok no problems. Well said. I'll let the learned and objective CSK fans take things further from here. 

2 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Fast bowling improved/remained strong under Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble then suddenly dipped under MSD. Now suddenly picked up again under Kohli. I take it spotting trends is not your strong point. 

How exactly  did it improve ? Last time I checked "improved fast bowling" can't even single series in RSA or Aus under any if them captains.. Dhoni won a series in NZ, Drew in RSA and whitewashed Aus at home.. Can't talk about kohli Overseas series just started. Reality is no captain can do anything unless you have good Bowling overseas.. 

5 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Having old players like Zaheer, Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, VVS was the only reason Dhoni ever achieved success in his early days. Zaheer was the captain of the bowling attack, MSD used to defer decisions to him

Ohh Zaheer was the captain then:cantstop: He was part of those whitewashes in ENG and Aus by the way Lol.. so we its him that we should blame for 2011 series and all that.. 

I think Ashwin is the captain of Kohli's bowling attack right now by that logic.. 

How was Irfan kicked around by Chapell? when Dhoni took over, there was no Chapell. actually would be more blaming Dhoni for not developing Stuart Binny, which I never did. 

Irfan didn't debut under Dhoni lol.. He first came in as a bowler then converted into an all-rounder. Opened the innings, #3, #4 And on and on. He was kicked around by Chappell like football under Ganguly and Dravid. I wouldn't be surprised if you blamed dhoni for binny.. I can expect anything of you after reading your points.

13 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

yeah and should have continued backing gun players like Raina, D Karthik, S Binny instead

He even backed kohli, Rohit, Rahane, Vijay, pujara, Ashwin and jaddu who are still playing cricket after 3 years in Tests.. your point ? 

14 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Like I said in another post, your obsessed with any rival to MSD

There is no rival.. There was replacement for sachin.. Never will be for Dhoni lol 

15 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Largely based on decline of Australia and quality pre existing test players

Lol.. by that logic even the once we lost to were better teams than us.. You can't swing your tounge both ways according to your convenience

16 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

this is only Bangladeshi fans dream, real cricket fans have aspirations for test cricket 

They wish they were #1 in Tests... They do have aspirarions and  they are improving.. That they beat England recently..compared to some past some players boosted their averages upon by scoring 200 against that team..

27 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

first ever test match victory in South Africa- quite good fixing under Dravid. 

Thread was more comparable to Ganguly vs Dravid more than anything.... SERIES I said.. We won a series in NZ.. where Ganguly got whitewashed. We got knocked out in 2007 wc under Dravid..This ain't Dravid vs Dhoni thread by the way.

yes indeed, correction sustained, Yuz Chahal debuted under MSD against the mighty Zimbabwe. Thank God MSD was there to hold his hand against a team that wouldn't even be competitive in our Ranji Trophy. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/10638/scorecard/1007649/zimbabwe-vs-india-1st-odi-india-tour-of-zimbabwe-2016/

He played under him for other series as well.. Even in his last ODI series as captain vs NZ.. MIGHTY NZ lol

Kohli relative to Dhoni is Stephen hawking with grade 9 maths teacher. 

Not sure what Kohli has anything to do with this and this guy talks about how his Ailiaa shouldn't be brought up for getting whitewashed at home against RSA.. 

Edited by Rasgulla