Please recommend some good hindi movies

Deleted_User_1

I am not talking of typical masaala types and ones that are insanely long. Do not care about the big name actors or the tripe & song/dance routines. I am talking about art films, independent ones, movies with compelling storylines that move you or make you think. Recently watched Masaan that I liked a lot and then realized that there are many out there that I just do not know about since I do not follow Bollywood at all.

Can someone recommend a few good movies that might be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video? If someone can suggest some Bengali ones that would be appreciated as well.

An issue is that most people watch Bollywood / Indian movies when they are in mood for the masala flavor 

From the top of my head (from relatively new ones): Vishal Bhradwaj films such as Maqbool and Haider. Irrfan Khan's Lunchbox .... There is the Munnabhai series as well .... During the 50s-70s period, many films were high on quality content (acting, music, story, etc.) while also serving masala like Naya Daur, Pakeejah, Aandhi, Waqt (must watch for Raaj Kumar fans), Arzoo, etc. 

Edited by zen

Peepli Live, Talvar, Kahaani, Madras Cafe, Pink...recent ones. 

Peepli live is an absolute shyte movie, 1St ever time in my life I went with my sister to watch this movie and asked the ticket girl how's the crowd the girl with all the smile said good, all my smile vanished when I entered the hall as it was only me and my sister who bought the tickets and I was so gobsmacked and pissed that I asked my sister pancho Ye kya film dikhane le aayi, It was an absolute torture.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Gangs of wasseypur, lunch box, taare zamin par, Stanley ka Dibba, omkara, bandit queen, dil se(i feel this movie was ahead of its time) ,one of my favorite Aamir movie is raakh has shahid mummy as heroine and shahid papa in supporting role, kahaani, queen, English vinglish, mom, udaan, masaan, baahubali.

6 hours ago, vayuu1 said:

Peepli live is an absolute shyte movie, 1St ever time in my life I went with my sister to watch this movie and asked the ticket girl how's the crowd the girl with all the smile said good, all my smile vanished when I entered the hall as it was only me and my sister who bought the tickets and I was so gobsmacked and pissed that I asked my sister pancho Ye kya film dikhane le aayi, It was an absolute torture.

One of the best satires I have ever seen, what's wrong with you man, you the Singham type?

OP I promise you will thank me after watching Peepli Live.

Edited by Gollum

32 minutes ago, Gollum said:

One of the best satires I have ever seen, what's wrong with you man, you the Singham type?

OP I promise you will thank me after watching Peepli Live.

peepli live is good, but fairly heavily based on a hollywood movie from the 1950s.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

Gangs of wasseypur...saw it recently on Netflix...they have it like a tv series divided into 4 or 5 parts....loved it

Loved it, ATG movie. That was the 1st name in my mind when @dandaroy opened the thread but since he specifically asked for ones that aren't insanely long, I desisted from recommending this masterpiece.