Is this best bowling line up SA have ever fielded?

8 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Philander - 22.37

Steyn - 22.30

Rabada - 22.39

Maharaj - 25.03

Morkel - 28.45

I think last time a team fielded 3-4 sub-25 bowlers was way back in 80s when WI had Marshall, Garner, Andy Roberts, and Michael Holding.

On paper, yes. But Donald >> Steyn currently, Pollock was way better than Philander ( same bowler, but with more bounce). Delivers and Rabada are not comparable really -one is a very accurate and awkward to play seam bowler with good movement, the other is an express speedster with classic but unfinished speedster credentials : can be destructive, can also be wayward. 

Maharaj does have better average than the likes of Paul Adams or Niky Boje/Pat Symcox, but don't be fooled by their averages alone. 

Maharaj would be Adams-esque if he had to stand up to Sachin,Dravid, Dada, Azhar, Manjrekar etc. 

The most potent RSA attack i've seen is from the late 90s and late 2000s period when Steyn was in his full glory. 

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

On paper, yes. But Donald >> Steyn currently, Pollock was way better than Philander ( same bowler, but with more bounce). Delivers and Rabada are not comparable really -one is a very accurate and awkward to play seam bowler with good movement, the other is an express speedster with classic but unfinished speedster credentials : can be destructive, can also be wayward. 

Maharaj does have better average than the likes of Paul Adams or Niky Boje/Pat Symcox, but don't be fooled by their averages alone. 

Maharaj would be Adams-esque if he had to stand up to Sachin,Dravid, Dada, Azhar, Manjrekar etc. 

The most potent RSA attack i've seen is from the late 90s and late 2000s period when Steyn was in his full glory. 

Okay.

14 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

I think OP is referring to overall career. Hence, Donald >> Steyn isn't true. Steyn > Donald (not ">>") is my pick. Pollock was better than Philander before he lost his pace, bounce and zip. I don't know if Fanie deV played alongside Donald and Pollock in the same match? One diff between this team and the 90s one was that a lot of fairly good allrounders served as the 4th, 5th and 6th bowlers - Kallis, McMillan, and even Cronje.

41 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Manjrekar was better than anyone not named Pujara in this lineup, when it came to demolishing spin. 

Actually, this current batting lineup is probably the weakest batting lineup India has ever fielded against spin. 

Manju averaged 30 at home - but it's still possible that he was better against current bunch. In the 90s, we had a lot of players who did superbly against spin - Kambli, Sidhu, Azhar, VVS, SRT, etc.

Just now, Vijy said:

Manju averaged 30 at home - but it's still possible that he was better against current bunch. In the 90s, we had a lot of players who did superbly against spin - Kambli, Sidhu, Azhar, VVS, SRT, etc.

Sidhu, Azhar and Tendulkar were elite against spin. I'd put them ahead of anyone currently playing, in their ability to play spin. Kambli too, but he is a shade below these three i think. 

7 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Sidhu, Azhar and Tendulkar were elite against spin. I'd put them ahead of anyone currently playing, in their ability to play spin. Kambli too, but he is a shade below these three i think. 

I'd put Kambli alongside this trio. if you look at all the games he played in SC and scored big, many a time he scored more than this trio and at a faster pace. VVS was very good too. Of course, all of them did choke every now and then (Udal) but I am referring to their ability in general.

one match that comes to mind from memory is the one where he scored the double against Eng at a SR of 55-60. The others (Sid, SRT, Azhar) were tuk-tuking merrily at a SR of 35-45.

Edited by Vijy