Is Hardik Pandya the next Kapil Dev for team India

Is Hardik as valuable as Kapil Dev?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hardik as valuable as Kapil Dev?

• Yes, his contributions at least in limited overs cricket makes him invaluable
    • No, he has a LONG way to go to even elicit a comparison with Kapil Dev
    • Hardik Pandya is only hyped "bits and pieces" player. He can never be as valuable.

2 hours ago, zen said:

Kapil was just too good both with the bat and ball in his prime. But he was an under achiever. With his talent, he could / should have averaged 40+ with the bat and ideally 25 with the ball

Pandya is an over achiever at this point And is likely to improve further if groomed properly

While Kapil saw himself as a bowling all-rounder, Pandya should try to be a batting one. As a bowler, he would be the 5th option with Ind fielding other bowling options in 2+2 or 3+1 combination

Pandya should focus more on his batting. He can  make the #6 or #7 position his own. As the bowler, he can be used to try something new like bowl short pitched stuff, be used as the stock bowler or even as the golden arm option to give a break through

Positive is that Ind now has a player who plays with a never say die attitude, has explosive batting skills and can bowl quick. Even if he was military medium like Robin Singh, he would be a good addition to the side as an overall package but his ability to bowl quick adds another dimension to his selection and hence the comparison with Kapil

Very exciting prospect for Ind indeed. If he is playing his 100th test, I would like to see him at 6,000 runs and 250 wkts, if not more 

for a good amount of time, kapil did average around 27 or so with the ball so he didn't underachieve all that much with the ball. But he did do badly with the bat. Should have easily avg in high 30s, given that shastri (a limited but gutsy player) avg 36 and over 40 as opener.

Can't compare one of All Time World's greatest cricketer with a budding cricketer. It's like the comparison by Abdul Razzak   of Ahmed Shehzad with Sachin few days back.

At this point of time Hardik  cannot even be compared to Irfan Pathan... let he achieve what Irfan achieved first. Then let him do what Kapil did. It's a herculean task, I see the comparison pointless as of now.

Giving good performances but there is time for comparisons to couple of all rounders.

Edited by Straight Drive
Just now, Straight Drive said:

Can't compare one of All Time World's greatest cricketer with a budding cricketer. It's like the comparison by Abdul Razzak   of Ahmed Shehzad with Sachin few days back.

At this point of time Hardik  cannot even be compared to Irfan Pathan... let he achieve what Irfan achieved first. Then let him do what Kapil did. It's a herculean task, I see the comparison pointless as of now.

i dnt get the need to compare , irfan was a bowler 1st and then his batting kept on improving

Hardik demands a place alone as batsman in LOI as a power hitter, then he can bowl(which is improving day by day) and excellent fielder 

HE shud just fulfill his potential......no need to be compared to irfan, kapil 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

i dnt get the need to compare , irfan was a bowler 1st and then his batting kept on improving

Hardik demands a place alone as batsman in LOI as a power hitter, then he can bowl(which is improving day by day) and excellent fielder 

HE shud just fulfill his potential......no need to be compared to irfan, kapil 

You are not comparing. The title of thread is like that. Even OP mentioned 

"The mention of Kapil Paaji in the same line as Hardik Pandya might make some of you very angry but I just cannot help with the sentence after witnessing his innings today"

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Some questions were raised regarding Pandya's ability to hit pacers.

On the Lankan tour of 2017, he hit Kumara (  bowling 140 k - 145 k )  quite viciously for 6s and 4s.

In the T20I series in England, he has hit the pacers effortlessly again.

Many here asked if he cud hit starc n rabadda that well, WTH they are starc n rabadda ........aint a joke hitting them (expectation to dekho jaise baaki bradman bhare hue hai)

but 

more questions has been raised regd his bowling without considering how difficult LOI is for bowlers and pandya doesnt even get the new ball , also he was fast tracked so he also experience. 

But these questions will be raised again n again , pandya has done more then enough till now but still questions gets raised coz whenever something goes wrong he seems to be the obvious scapegoat. PPl think its easy to score 100 at 7, how many has ???? or expect him to take 5 fers with not so new ball in these harsh conditions???

Cant do anything about these question, ppl are yet to understand how important are utlity players and expectation shud be kept from players acc

pandya is delivering in key moments

kapil played in a different era . bowlers were more successful . batters were meek and not fit like today . 

pandya as a batsmen is better than kapil though as he has better attitude and punches above his skills( kapil was gifted but lazy i felt)

as bowler , its unfair to compare even bhuvi to kapil . kapil was a once a lifetime bowler .

4 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

I posted similar thing yesterday. Totally agree. Can't compare Worlds ATG with someone who is not even an Indian ATG as of now. 

some of the nonsenses put forward here are of mammoth levels... soon we can expect some one coming up comparing Prithvi Shaw or Shubman Gill to Sachin.

Edited by rtmohanlal
10 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

some of the nonsenses put forward here are of mammoth levels... soon we can expect some one coming up comparing Prithvi Shaw or Shubman Gill to Sachin.

Well on a forum, people will have different views. So it's fine if someone who hasn't seen Kapil, especially the younger generation compares Hardik with Kapil Dev. Do not be surprised that someone who has not watched Kapil's 175 in world cup when we were 17/5 to say Kapil was a poor batsman. Surely, i would hold different views. Don't wanna compare Worlds ATG with someone who isn't even an Indian great. Certainly not at this point of time. Perhaps if Hardik does better than Irfan then i would compare both of them first at equal stages of career, but not so soon. Comparison with Kapil is at least a decade ahead. He has hardly played 10 tests. 

Whether Hardik will be Irfan Pathan or Kapil Dev will only be clear if he manages to play as much as them or somewhere near the level others managed.

Cannot rule out possibility of anyone being better than previous greats in 10 years time. I never thought there would be any better Indian test batsman than Sunny. But then we got Sachin and Rahul Dravid who were equally good. Agreed it has taken giving chances to loads of test batters a chance to find just two players who can be compared to Sunny. So it would not have been wise to have compared everyone who got test chances compare with Sunny. Like say Saurav Ganguly, Vengsarkar, Wasim Jaffer, Raman, Akash Chopra, Vikram Rathour, Ajinkya Rahane and every other batters who we can think of who played for India. It's premature comparison of 60+ cricketers only to find that two were actually as good as Sunny or better.

Also never thought there would be any Indian cricketer who will be better than Sachin. Now Virat looks top class and could actually end up setting more records than Sachin. So we never know. Better to neither write off anyone nor hype as ATG (so soon).

Similarly it's not wise to compare Hardik or any other all rounder with Kapil in such a small sample of cricketing career. Time will tell. To have another Worlds ATG with just trying 10 odd all rounders after Kapil is a herculean task with very less probability of finding one. Maybe like we tried 50+ batters, if we had loads of all-rounders then the probability of finding someone as good as Kapil would have increased. But one out of 10 to make there is possible but rare chance of high percentile success.

Hype is not going to give World Class ATG status to any cricketer in world cricket. Maybe on a forum with few posters will consider someone as World ATG but not the billions of cricket fans around the world is going to compare a World ATG with a budding cricketer who is giving some match winning performances.

Edited by Straight Drive