England's 0-8

kira

Seems like England is about to have its very own 0-8 embarrassment. England lost 4-0 to India last year and are about to lose 4-0 to Australia, that's 8 losses in the last 10 overseas matches, 9 losses in last 11 overseas matches if you count the bangla series (which is even more embarrasing) 

The Indian team got a lot of criticism (and rightly so) after the infamous 0-8 trashing in England and Australia but it seems England's trashing is going under the radar ( or maybe since I don't follow English media so I don't know) with no one talking about it. 

The English side as been a mediocre team for most part of my cricket watching experience. They were downright atrocious in throughout the 90s till mid 2000s, they managed to put together a decent side from 2005-2012 but have been mediocre since 2012 again (which is why 2014 loss was more hurting than the 2011 loss imo). 

I guess we should cut the Indian team some slack, why should Indian team be always on notice to prove itself in foreign conditions (not saying that they shouldn't perform overseas, I want the team to do well overseas) while mediocre trash like engurlund get away with abysmal performance year after year since the 90s. The Indian fans should grow a bit of spine and stop looking for approval of other nations.

Edited by kira

First of all England's performance is extremely poor and they are indeed one of the poor travellers in World cricket, if not the poorest.

As the timeline you mentioned from mid 90s till present day, there has been many ups & downs for England. But since 2000 they won test series once in Pak, India, Aus and twice in SA.

Our so called Golden generation won against England in England only once in 2007 & failed to win a test series in SA and Aus despite multiple attempts, they came close.But in scorecard the series were either lost or drawn.

Regarding the attention only on Indian team, it might be because India is really a tough place to tour. Only SA, England and Australia have beaten us in almost 2 decades. While these teams keep beating each other once in a while when they tour. SA has won 3 consecutive test series against Aus in Aus since 2008. SA has also never won a home test series against Aus. England too beat SA in SA. SA were dominant against England in England in the last decade except last tour. Wonderful equations between these teams which makes test matches so interesting. The furore created in Indian media is much bigger when they lose a series as compared to England. Except Barmy army, few cricket pundits and genuine fans nobody else cares

Also I feel Gower & co. in Sky with their  voice do a much better damage control job for English cricket as compared to Gavaskar & co. for whom it is either boom or bust.

I've never heard someone calling Nasser Hussain's , Vaughan's or Strauss's team as one of the best ever from England as far I know, but it really is sad that in our whole cricketing history we won so few overseas test series victories. The touring Indian teams should raise their bar otherwise we'd keep losing & be content with mediocrity. Like they're now playing in Newlands without proper match practice. 

3 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

At least England won an Ashes, which is big for them in Aus once. Have we done that in the last 10 years in Aus? 

Last 10 years you say? We were robbed of a series victory in australia by steve bucknor, we drew in south africa in 2011, we were the best test team from 2009-2011. Quit whining about what we have done, we've done enough, way more than engurland in the last 4 decades. The Indian fans have been brainwashed to self hate and seek approval of others

2 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

First of all England's performance is extremely poor and they are indeed one of the poor travellers in World cricket, if not the poorest.

As the timeline you mentioned from mid 90s till present day, there has been many ups & downs for England. But since 2000 they won test series once in Pak, India, Aus and twice in SA.

Our so called Golden generation won against England in England only once in 2007 & failed to win a test series in SA and Aus despite multiple attempts, they came close.But in scorecard the series were either lost or drawn.

Regarding the attention only on Indian team, it might be because India is really a tough place to tour. Only SA, England and Australia have beaten us in almost 2 decades. While these teams keep beating each other once in a while when they tour. SA has won 3 consecutive test series against Aus in Aus since 2008. SA has also never won a home test series against Aus. England too beat SA in SA. SA were dominant against England in England in the last decade except last tour. Wonderful equations between these teams which makes test matches so interesting. The furore created in Indian media is much bigger when they lose a series as compared to England. Except Barmy army, few cricket pundits and genuine fans nobody else cares

Also I feel Gower & co. in Sky with their  voice do a much better damage control job for English cricket as compared to Gavaskar & co. for whom it is either boom or bust.

I've never heard someone calling Nasser Hussain's , Vaughan's or Strauss's team as one of the best ever from England as far I know, but it really is sad that in our whole cricketing history we won so few overseas test series victories. The touring Indian teams should raise their bar otherwise we'd keep losing & be content with mediocrity. Like they're now playing in Newlands without proper match practice. 

Since 2000 we've won a series in Pakistan, England, Nz, drawn series against an ATG aussie side in australia and drawn a series in south africa. England winning in south africa or nz is similar to India winning in Pakistan or sri lanka, don't know why you would hype england winning in south africa 

6 minutes ago, kira said:

Since 2000 we've won a series in Pakistan, England, Nz, drawn series against an ATG aussie side in australia and drawn a series in south africa. England winning in south africa or nz is similar to India winning in Pakistan or sri lanka, don't know why you would hype england winning in south africa 

And the main bowlers were Bracken and Brad Williams for first 2 tests. Brett Lee came from the 3rd test. Never faced McGrath and Warne at all. Not making fun of our team or lost chances,  but just stating true facts. 

If England winning in NZ or SA is similar to India winning in Lanka,  then why it took India 22 years to win a test series again in SL till 2015?

Against Pak we didn't play regularly at all, twice we played against them last decade we won a series once and lost one. But win against SL in their home, that should have come sometime back. Even with threat of Murali/Mendis/Jayasuriya/rain or whatever reason. 

7 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

And the main bowlers were Bracken and Brad Williams for first 2 tests. Brett Lee came from the 3rd test. Never faced McGrath and Warne at all. Not making fun of our team or lost chances,  but just stating true facts. 

If England winning in NZ or SA is similar to India winning in Lanka,  then why it took India 22 years to win a test series again in SL till 2015?

Against Pak we didn't play regularly at all, twice we played against them last decade we won a series once and lost one. But win against SL in their home, that should have come sometime back. Even with threat of Murali/Mendis/Jayasuriya/rain or whatever reason. 

And what difference would warne have made against India? He averages almost 50 against India with the ball and has an even more impressive average of 62 against India in Australia. The only player Australia was missing was McGrath and although he would have made a difference but then you can't be an ATG side if you depend so heavily on 1 player. 2004 aussie side was still an ATG side , even without mcgrath and they were playing at home, India drawing that series is much bigger achievement than england winning some random series in south africa, now this is a true fact

34 minutes ago, kira said:

And what difference would warne have made against India? He averages almost 50 against India with the ball and has an even more impressive average of 62 against India in Australia. The only player Australia was missing was McGrath and although he would have made a difference but then you can't be an ATG side if you depend so heavily on 1 player. 2004 aussie side was still an ATG side , even without mcgrath and they were playing at home, India drawing that series is much bigger achievement than england winning some random series in south africa, now this is a true fact

It would be combination of McGrath-Lee-Gillespie-Warne which I feel could have been much more lethal as a combo than the one with Bracken-Gillespie- Williams-McGill. They might have beaten us or might have not.

Respectable and proud series for us.

But the former combination came back later in the year to win against us after 35 years in India.

Let's put aside England winning in SA or India drawing in Aus for a minute. But the fact is our own team still hasn't won in Australia and SA in decades despite of our proud cricketing history and it must be changes asap whenever opportunity knocks at the door. 

But our team after attending Kohli's marriage reception goes to SA and plays 1st test after 4 years that too without match practice with only 3 net sessions, as if they're doing some kind of favor or obligation. 

Edited by Turning_track
13 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

It would be combination of McGrath-Lee-Gillespie-Warne which I feel could have been much more lethal as a combo than the one with Bracken-Williams-McGill. It might have beaten us or might have been not.

Respectable and proud series for us.

But the former combination came back later in the year to win against us after 35 years in India.

Let's put aside England winning in SA or India drawing in Aus for a minute. But the fact is our own team still hasn't won in Australia and SA in decades despite of our proud cricketing history and it must be changes asap whenever opportunity knocks at the door. 

Again, what exactly would have warne done? Macgill was a massive upgrade on warne against India in australia. And why do you continue to ignore gillespie from the bracken-williams-mcgill combo?  It's as if you are deliberately trying to downplay the aussie bowling attack. Lee played 2 tests in that series and averaged 60. Australia was only missing 1 player and that was McGrath.

But our team after attending Kohli's marriage reception goes to SA and plays 1st test after 4 years that too without match practice with 3 only net sessions, as if they're doing some kind of favor or obligation. 

And? Have we lost the match? Have we lost the series? I don't see the point of you rant since as far as I can see, we are still very much in the game. It is not kohli's or the team's fault that there is no match practice. It is the job of BCCI to schedule the series. I personally think having net sessions was better than playing a practice match against school kids. We've only batted in 1 innings in this series so far in very hostile bowling friendly conditions against the best pace bowling attack in the world, what exactly did you expect was going to happen? I will wait till the end of the series to judge this team, I think we did pretty well to score 209 (although it was mostly due to pandya but he was able to score freely because pujara batted out the tough morning session so he deserves some credit too).

Edited by kira
7 minutes ago, kira said:

Again, what exactly would have warne done? Macgill was a massive upgrade on warne against India in australia. And why do you continue to ignore gillespie from the bracken-williams-mcgill combo?  It's as if you are deliberately trying to downplay the aussie bowling attack. Lee played 2 tests in that series and averaged 60. Australia was only missing 1 player and that was McGrath.

And? Have we lost the match? Have we lost the series? I don't see the point of you rant since as far as I can see, we are still very much in the game. It is not kohli's or the team's fault that there is no match practice. It is the job of BCCI to schedule the series. I personally think having net sessions was better than playing a practice match against school kids. We've only batted in 1 innings in this series so far in very hostile bowling friendly conditions against the best pace bowling attack in the world, what exactly did you expect was going to happen? I will wait till the end of the series to judge this team, I think we did pretty well to score 209 (although it was mostly due to pandya but he was able to score freely because pujara batted out the tough morning session so he deserves some credit too).

yes, and the bcci should be blamed for the lack of prep. if they want the team to do well abroad, its important to arrange for proper schedules.

1 minute ago, kira said:

I forgot adding Gillespie in my previous comment and later I edited it and added Gillespie's name too. It wasn't my intention to downplay or leave him out. 

I'm out now briefly and will reply to you after a few hours. 

As for I know, nobody is craving for their approval of our team. They are our opponents, so it doesn't matter what they think of our team as long as we remain competitive on the field, not surrender like some inept cowards like we saw under Dhoni. This is more about from Indian fans perspective, who wants to see their team to just show some fight.

We have been an atrocious team when it comes to tough overseas tours and fans are sick and tired of seeing that. 

5 minutes ago, Lannister said:

As for I know, nobody is craving for their approval of our team. They are our opponents, so it doesn't matter what they think of our team as long as we remain competitive on the field, not surrender like some inept cowards like we saw under Dhoni. This is more about from Indian fans perspective, who wants to see their team to just show some fight.

We have been an atrocious team when it comes to tough overseas tours and fans are sick and tired of seeing that. 

Everyone wants their team to do well, the problem is that the Indian fans have been brainwashed into thinking that wins at home don't matter, wins in asia don't matter only performance in aus, sa and england matters. Don't see the aussies losing their sleep over their atrocious record in subcontinent in the last 10 years. 

We haven't been the worst touring team in this century, infact we were one of the better touring teams till 2011 and now every team sucks overseas.

3 minutes ago, kira said:

Everyone wants their team to do well, the problem is that the Indian fans have been brainwashed into thinking that wins at home don't matter, wins in asia don't matter only performance in aus, sa and england matters. Don't see the aussies losing their sleep over their atrocious record in subcontinent in the last 10 years. 

We haven't been the worst touring team in this century, infact we were one of the better touring teams till 2011 and now every team sucks overseas.

from 2002-2011 (prior to WC), I think we had a 7-9 record overseas and 10 draws. won series in pak, nz, wi, eng, and came close in oz, sl and sa. by most standards, an excellent record.

9 minutes ago, kira said:

The reason we suck is beacuse of the mismanagement of players and taking the one's authority for granted and misusing it. Fans would've do with if there's a shortage of talent but this! 

Our Test schedule have mostly been 2 years of dominant home performance followed by two years of continuous drubbings and its already happened twice and we are on the verge of another one if we don't get our shits right.