Team for 2nd test[Update Post 126: Rahane may replace Ashwin, India may play 4 pacers and 7 batters]

2 hours ago, Brainfade said:

Wait. You say we need a batsman. And then you say play Rohit instead of Ashwin. In a test match.  Something ain't adding up.  

It doesn't have to be Rohit but someone more dependable than Ashwin, parthiv maybe. Point is, centurion is an unforgiving pitch, we need batsman to make runs after bowl is old ( when it stop spitting venom).

My XI:

Rahul

Vijay( will learn faster than the jatt)

ChePu

Anushka

Rahane

Rohit/Ashwin

Saha/Parthiv

Pandya

Bhuvi 

bumrah

shami

Batting looks thick now and can feast on once we get through first 20 overs.

Edited by Scar
9 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

There is pathological hatred for him and Rohit . 

No doubts dhawan looked better better then vijay this test . But would pick vijay 

There are three passengers in the team Dhawan Rohit Vijay .maybe the fourth one is Shami..did well in 2nd innings though.. How can you  win overseas carrying more than 2 passengers?.

34 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Maybe need to go in with 3 openers 

Raul 

vijay 

dhawan 

pujara

Kohli 

that as top 5?

Top 3 is too fragile. I mean Rahul hasn't had match practice and come in, so if he fails we must have at least Pujara at 3. Having two players who will be playing for their spot - Vijay and Dhawan at 2 and 3 will really suck the momentum out and will spark another collapse.

Can't have all three together at this time. Pujara-Kohli-Rahane are fine for 3-4-5. We have to have different 1-2 and 6. 3-4-5 must stay what it used to be, that is PUJARA-KOHLI-Rahane.

I usually believe 4 bowlers are good enough on bowling friendly pitches...however all 5 bowlers chipped in in this game to set up a great shot at an unexpected win.

On the other hand batting seemed like an everlasting tail.

I was always a fan of 6-4-1 combo with one batsman being a decent part timer. I

Even though Pandya has announced  himself in the big leagues still Pandya,Saha,Ashwin,Bhuvi and 2 absolute mugs with the bat at 10 and 11 looks like a long tail given Rohit or even Rahane who will potentially replace him don’t give out a lot of confidence at  no.5.

Are you still ok with this combo...I was overwhelmingly yes in the past but then the way 5 bowlers have done here e it doesn’t look as bad either.

what do you guys prefer?

I usually prefer 641. 551 can only work if you have a keeper batsman who averages 40+ and can bat at 6. I thought initially that we'd include an extra batsman in the 2nd Test at the expense of Ashwin but Ashwin complicated things by top scoring in the 2nd innings. Would be interesting to see who they drop to include Rahane. Maybe drop Vijay, make Pujara open and have Rahane at 3?

15 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

We reached stage were might as well pick batting line up out of a hat lol who knows who will deliver lol

Sadly it's true.

Vijay is batting like crap.

Dhawan can either hit a flashy and fluky knock or get ripped apart.

Pujara can give you 25(80) but can he do more?

Kohli always looks good but screws it up.

Rohit is comedy. Might score a 100 out of the blue if all stars align but 99% will fail.

Pandya is an X factor player. Will either cart bowlers around or could get out just as easily.

Saha is Saha. Looks like a tailender for the first 20 runs then bats properly. But doesn't cross that threshold most of the times.

Ashwin has developed a lot of bad habits in his batting. No one knows when he will score these days.

Bhuvi can stick around blocking. Good support bat.

---

Rahane out of form but has the skills to bat.

KL Rahul is our most complete test bat but can be reckless or impatient at times.

---

lol.

Only God knows who will score in a game.

I am just hoping we stack up the team with the right bats and everyone chips in a bit in bowler friendly conditions and that proves to be enough for the team (if we had done that in the first test, we would have won with ease).

Edited by sensible-indian

The 5th bowler, Hardik Pandya, was our highest scorer with 93 runs, highest score by our top 5 batters is 28.

This clearly shows that lack of the 6th batsman was not a problem in this test

Problem was the quality of the top 5 batters .... and we need Rahul and Rahane in place of Dhawan and Rohit.

5th bowler and 4th pacer Pandya allows Shami , Bhuvi and Bumrah to bowl lesser overs at full steam.

Edited by express bowling

Pandya was our top scorer in 1st innings, Ash in 2nd and Bhuvi did well in both. No brainer for me, play 5 bowlers, only bring in Ishant in stead of Bumrah. Not only is Ishant a legit match winner with the ball, but he can also hold the bat for a few overs unlike Bumrah. Bring in Rahul in place of Dhawan, Rahane in place of Rohit and put Vijay on warning list. Saha is a decent batsman, I will never ever sacrifice even 30 extra runs/innings in place of the greatest modern era keeper.